In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

military records

romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
Military service, US Army 1947-1969. I had sought combat verification from Personnel Records Center in about 2000 at which time I learned my file was "not available', meaning my records were lost. It was thought my records were burned in the 1973 fire, but I pointed out my records were brought up to date in 1992, so how could my records have been burned in 1973 ??
In 1992 I received a DD form 215 (up to date records information)
My jump wings and glider wings were not entered on my DD Form 215. I tried to have my DD Form 215 corrected to include my jump wings and glider wings. The records re-viewing authority said I would have to wait about a year. That was last year. Poof, after over 20 years service I no longer exist as far as the military is concerned. Who do I thank ????

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went through the same thing, gradually. Every few months, I'd get a notice asking me for proof of something or other. They always asked for the original documents and I always refused. Finally, I told them, "Look, of the two of us, I'm the only one who is competent enough to not loose paperwork. That being amply demonstrated, I am NOT sending you any originals." They miraculously "found" everything they said was lost.

Lazy bastids find it easier to demand papers from you than to go find them in your files. Your stuff is probably there (why would anybody be going through it enough to lose anything?).
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    been about ten years since National Personal Records Center(NPRC)LOST my service records. Wrote every VA region in my area and every Army Agency I could find. No service records found by anyone. Also went through Congressman. NPRC told me (earlier) my records were sent to an other agency and not returned. Asked who records sent to but never received an answer. Congreeman was told my records MIGHT have been destroyed in the 1973 fire which destroyed records from 1912 to 1956. I retired in late 1969. My records would not have been in the 1912 to 1956 storage area. The NPRC lied to me and the Congressman, and for this they get paid ??? Justice.......