In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question About Combat Veteran

USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
edited February 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
i served on 4 WESTPAC cruises.., 2 on the USS Oriskany CVA-34 and 2 on the USS Kitty Hawk CVA-63 between 1963 to 1974, got combat pay plus hazardous duty pay..........,

my question, can i rightfully wear this cap ??????????????
militarybest_2248_712579988

Comments

• Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked my DD214. I am not familiar with the 3 ribbons on the cap. It's been a very long time.
    I have listed:
    NATIONAL DEFENSE SERVICE MEDAL. VIETNAM SERVICE MEDAL WITH ONE BRONZE STAR

Served CVA-63 1969. I would have a problem with the COMBAT. While in theater I was never in combat.
    I would also like to know it they are made in Vietnam. OK I still have a bit of an issue.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I don't have a one size fits all answer for you! It sounds like you, in fact, served in a Combat Zone, not just in the vicinity, and you were probably issued the small card stating such after the cruise was over. Ships in the Tonkin Gulf were always subject to attack and carriers launched strike missions (combat) against targets in North Vietnam. While you were generally safe from direct hostilities; it was still a hazardous environment. I guess it comes down to; do you feel comfortable claiming what the hat suggests, that you were an actual "Combat Veteran".

I flew as part of the backend crew of the E2B on almost 250 combat missions and have the associated awards (Air Medals), but compared to the guys that dodged AAA, SAMs, and ground fire or the guys that served on the ground, I had it pretty easy. So, while I, without reservation, tell others, when I'm asked, that I served in combat, I wouldn't wear something that proclaims it; just not comfortable doing that!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Considering or presenting oneself as a "combat veteran" because one served in a combat zone is not giving due deference to the ones who truly are "combat veterans".
    You are a Viet Nam Veteran. That's more than enough to be proud of. You don't need to take any of someone else's thunder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    as far as the ribbons are concerned, no problem, they are entered in my service record.

i sometimes think i deserve it when i think of the poop i went thru, pushing my men to their limit when called on, e.g., we pulled a J-79 engine from an F4 Phantom, built up (removed "consumable" parts from old engine installed on new engine) the new J-79 engine had to be test run on a test stand prior to installing in aircraft, then test run installed in aircraft, we had that aircraft ready for it's test flight the next morning, less than 24 hours from start to finish !! we worked 22 hours straight.

my crew, all 4 of them deserved a medal of honor for their effort !!
  • Options
    1911builderMarine1911builderMarine Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served with both the 1st Marine Division and the 1st Marine Air Wing in VietNam. I was subjected to both indirect and direct hostile fire.

I have absolutely no problem with you referring to yourself as a Combat Veteran.

You showed up, did your time and served your country when called....

Charles.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale
    as far as the ribbons are concerned, no problem, they are entered in my service record.

Really? get serious!![V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911builderMarine
    I served with both the 1st Marine Division and the 1st Marine Air Wing in VietNam. I was subjected to both indirect and direct hostile fire.

I have absolutely no problem with you referring to yourself as a Combat Veteran.

You showed up, did your time and served your country when called....

Charles.

thank you sir, i was given the cap by a friend whom i served with in my first hitch in the Navy, he got out after 4 years, i got out also, served in active reserve two year then went regular and stayed for a total of 25 years, he considers me some sort of hero for my length of service. when i did retire, i missed the routine and the camaraderie plus the occasional hop in a F4 Phantom.

i sure miss it all even after 30+ years of retirement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    quote:Originally posted by USN_Airdale

Really? get serious!![V]

yes !! i am serious, so if you can read sign language.., here is a "bird" for you

you were not there so you have no idea what it was like keeping the Phantoms ready for their next mission and loading ordnance. on one at sea period of 63 days straight we worked 18 - 20 hour days.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually I was there. Working overtime is part of the job. MOH for hard work.....surely you jest!

The "bird" classy.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can rightfully wear it because you were in the combat zone that the ribbons represent. That said, expect the flak that will come your way from some veterans who have been awarded a combat action associated type of ribbon, which will be similar to the type of flak that the combat action ribbon award stirred up among military personnel when it was established in the first place.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Actually I was there. Working overtime is part of the job. MOH for hard work.....surely you jest!

The "bird" classy.

exactly where were you ?
  • Options
    edited November -1

The "bird" classy.

exactly where were you ?