In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

V.A . hospital

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
Jeeze, I went to the V.A. hospital last Wednesday for a routine check up. They called me. What a house of horrors. Old men in walkers, wheel chairs, mostly alone, no wife or son (daughter) to help them along. How sad. I am not well off by any means, but at least my family cares, wife accompanies me everywhere, & I her. She just whipped breast cancer in January. I had open heart surgery 9 years ago, retired 6 months ago. We are both 66. Our daughter is career Air Force, Lt. Col. I have the highest reguards for the V.A. hospital in Reno Nevada. They treated me with respect & humanity. Thank the Lord I am not in the same category as a lot of the veterans we saw. Lost souls, walking dead We sent a check to DAV when we got home. DAV gave our post a van several years ago to transport our men to Reno. Give them a few bucks when you can. There but for the grace of God go I. Eddie

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
  • Options
    RedcatcherRedcatcher Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been in VA hospital several time for surgery, and they have been very good to me also, 100% disabled. dont let them send you to Renound,they tried to kill me there, won't every go back. The Dr.& staff are very kind, but you do have to wait, they are very busy. If not for them I don't know where I would be.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everyone needs a good hospital care and a place to die, and the VA hospitals provide this for a lot of vets.

I went to visit an old retired Staff Sergeant who was in the Seattle VA hospital about thirty years ago. I had worked with and for him in the NAM and at Camp Pendleton. He was from NC, and he loved to fish and go frog giggin'...and we did a lot of both in Southern California. Anyway, the last time we visited with one another he was wearing his hospital gown and enjoying a cigarette while sitting with me on a park bench out in front of the hospital.

Then I had another good buddy whom I suspect died in a VA hospital in the Phillipines. He was a retired Master Chief Petty Officer at the time, and he was laid up there with what must have been a diabetic problem in one of his feet. This was mentioned in a letter he had sent to the wife and I about fifteen or twenty years back. I had worked with and for him in Italy. He retired from the Navy after thirty-three years, and became the director of the southern half of California DAV arm. In fact, he was one of the players on the ground floor of getting the DAV started.

I sure do miss these two old buddies of mine, Vernon and Johnny. Johnny was from Douglas, Texas. But that's another story that needs telling someday.

Thanks for the post. I'll send the DAV a check...they deserve it.
    What's next?
  • Options
    vebros66vebros66 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VA has saved my life, I would not be here if it was not for their expertise and dedication. Thanks VA[:)]quote:Originally posted by Redcatcher
    I have been in VA hospital several time for surgery, and they have been very good to me also, 100% disabled. dont let them send you to Renound,they tried to kill me there, won't every go back. The Dr.& staff are very kind, but you do have to wait, they are very busy. If not for them I don't know where I would be.
  • Options
    dersequimdersequim Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife's best friends Dad went downhill fast after her Mother died. He sorta hung on to care for her. He more or less had the same attitude about his responsibility to her as he had, that earned him his Chief's Rank in the Navy.

She was looking into local Nursing Homes and was very disturbed about the conditions. I rather off handed commented to her that she should look into the Military Retirement Center in Retsil Wa.

Her and Nancy visited it and got all the info. She was thrilled at the Attitude, Dedication and Compassion she witnessed while there. The facility was Outstanding comparred to most of the Nursing Homes she visited. She was able to place him there without the usual remorse associated with those situations. They kept her informed and up to date on him between her visits. By the third month there he didn't know who she was or where he was, but He sure liked this place. [:)]
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dersequim
    My wife's best friends Dad went downhill fast after her Mother died. He sorta hung on to care for her. He more or less had the same attitude about his responsibility to her as he had, that earned him his Chief's Rank in the Navy.

She was looking into local Nursing Homes and was very disturbed about the conditions. I rather off handed commented to her that she should look into the Military Retirement Center in Retsil Wa.

Her and Nancy visited it and got all the info. She was thrilled at the Attitude, Dedication and Compassion she witnessed while there. The facility was Outstanding comparred to most of the Nursing Homes she visited. She was able to place him there without the usual remorse associated with those situations. They kept her informed and up to date on him between her visits. By the third month there he didn't know who she was or where he was, but He sure liked this place. [:)]
    Nothing to look forward to, is it? I watched two uncles go that way, both Army vets. Sad Ed
  • Options
    aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VAMC here in Pittsburgh PA is outstanding. I'm a 10% SC vet (never in combat, certianly a low priority for VA care) and recently got a physical from a great nurse practitioner; she was better than any doctor that I have ever seen (and she has me scheduled to see their doctor in Nov. for follow up). I assumed that the visit and meds would be free since they were related to my SC and they were. But when she scheduled me for an expensive colonoscopy (wife says brain scan); I assumed that it would cost me something since it's obviously not related to my SC (hypertension) and I have insurance and make over the income limit. The doc who did the exam was a gem. I just got the insurance statement and they paid the VA all but the coinsurance portion ($150) so I assumed that I would get billed for that. Wrong. Vets up to 40% SC who have insurance pay nothing for surgery or procedures (SC related or not)..they will bill your insurance if you have it but you DO NOT have to pay any coinsurance etc. Only if I get RX's which are not SC do I pay the low copay. If you are 50-100% SC they don't bill any insurance company. I'm only writing this because the VA is a good deal; my doc wants me to repeat this expensive test in a year; since the VA is paying for it, no sweat, I know plenty of guys who skip colonoscopy because they can't afford the cost or copay. And one of them is dying from metastatic colon cancer which could have been prevented if he had been screened. Heck, the VA doc even offered to let me stay overnight after the test to sleep off the sedation since I didn't have a ride. No private hospital would do that. After the test the nurse gave me a meal voucher for lunch (Starbucks and Burger King in the Hospital); but I felt better buying my own lunch. I know that some VA care isn't great, but thats with any hospital. Time to send a check to the local DAV who helped me with my SC claim.
  • Options
    48094-48094- Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Jeeze, I went to the V.A. hospital last Wednesday for a routine check up. They called me. What a house of horrors. Old men in walkers, wheel chairs, mostly alone, no wife or son (daughter) to help them along. How sad. I am not well off by any means, but at least my family cares, wife accompanies me everywhere, & I her. She just whipped breast cancer in January. I had open heart surgery 9 years ago, retired 6 months ago. We are both 66. Our daughter is career Air Force, Lt. Col. I have the highest reguards for the V.A. hospital in Reno Nevada. They treated me with respect & humanity. Thank the Lord I am not in the same category as a lot of the veterans we saw. Lost souls, walking dead We sent a check to DAV when we got home. DAV gave our post a van several years ago to transport our men to Reno. Give them a few bucks when you can. There but for the grace of God go I. Eddie

I'm 100% service connected and I would to discuss your mention of wives, brothers, girl friends and anybody else that accompanies their vet to the clinics at VAMC"s.
    What relatives don't understand is that there's limited seating space available at each clinic and the seat you're sitting could be used for a vet that has an appt.
    I go to the VAMC in Ann Arbor, Michigan and EVERY time I go each and every seat is occupied. Think about it, if every vet has 2 people with him then 2 more seats will be filled. Waiting can be done in your cars. Be considerate of the other vets that are there for treatment.
  • Options
    lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had real good luck with the VA Hospitals in Livermore and Palo Alto Calif. Double bypass to fix my tired legs and preventive medicine as well. I never thought that I would use the benefit. Sure as hell glad that I did. 64 years old and runnin' good thanks to the Vets. Admin. [:D]
  • Options
    john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all guys for ensuring that I had job security when I worked at the VA Hospital. Had it not been for veterans I wouldn't have had a job-or at least working elsewhere.
    I remember a veteran's wife who dropped him off for an appointment in the morning at the front entrance and then left to do some shopping. Unfortunately her veteran husband had Alzheimers disease and the particular clinic he was supposed to go to kept paging him all day. He never did meet his appointment and VA Police found him walking the halls where he'd been all day-late in the afternoon. I guess his wife came later and picked him up, I dunno. But she should have remained with him and seen as a minimum that he got to his appointment before she marched off to shop. But there's a lot more where she came from.
  • Options
    john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all guys for ensuring that I had job security when I worked at the VA Hospital. Had it not been for veterans I wouldn't have had a job-or at least working elsewhere.
    I remember a veteran's wife who dropped him off for an appointment in the morning at the front entrance and then left to do some shopping. Unfortunately her veteran husband had Alzheimers disease and the particular clinic he was supposed to go to kept paging him all day. He never did meet his appointment and VA Police found him walking the halls where he'd been all day late in the afternoon.