In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

auction plug ==ribbons

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just over one day left and 4 more items added.
    Free shipping too.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=336304714
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a dumb question, why would anyone want to buy old ribbons. I lost mine in a fire and just went to military clothing sales and got new ones.

YMMV
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    Just a dumb question, why would anyone want to buy old ribbons. I lost mine in a fire and just went to military clothing sales and got new ones.

YMMV

The ones you bought in a store were made in china.
    These "old' ones were EARNED not ordered thru a salesman's catalog.
    Why would anybody buy a 1960 winchester model 70, when you can buy a new one?
    Why would any body keep an old M1 garand stock on a 1944 gun, when you can buy a new one?

Oh yea, How much are the same "new" ribbons with all the stars, oakleafs, wires that are shown on this auction??
  • Options
    Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, only a "Vet" understands.
  • Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sky Soldier

If that comment is refering to me, I am a vet who "earned" quite a few of my own. While I'm on the subject, military clothing sales on the post do not carry china made crap and only sell if a dd214 supports it.

Smoky
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sky Soldier

If that comment is refering to me, I am a vet who "earned" quite a few of my own. While I'm on the subject, military clothing sales on the post do not carry china made crap and only sell if a dd214 supports it.

Smoky

Quite the contrary, I was agreeing with the far from "dumb" question in your previous post.
    I spent a year of my 2 year active duty stint (drafted) in RVN and "earned" a couple in addition to the ones that are "automatic".
    It's like that saying:
    If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand"
    Thank you for your service.
    SS
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a vet, and I don't believe a vet's ribbons, or metals should be sold. It doesn't matter if they are blanket ribbons, or an awarded Decoration. they probally meant something to someone dead or alive.
    Bury them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After all the chest beating is done, look at this thread.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=596378

Then search back about 4 years ago on these forums when I was trying to get a personalized zippo lighter back to the family of the deceased VN vet. It took me 2 months and much money to do it.

Then search back about 3 years ago when I sent Dheffly {the mod here,} a full photo album from a vet's life in VN. I could have parted it out and sold the pics for big money. But didn't.

Point being....some veteran items are not to be sold. Some such as ribbons that the vet's own family sold at a yard sale, are somewhat
    generic, and as you state, replacements for vets can be got free. And repros can be bought everywhere.

The bidder on these ribbons is above reproach and they are going to a collector that will display them with all honors they demand.

Mark Cristian {another mod here} sells a lot of M1 garands that have just as much background and war history as these ribbons. Do you suggest those guns be buried too?
    The greatest honor we can give our vets is to never forget that
    all gave some, and some gave all.
    Perhaps, just perhaps, some 10 year old child will see these ribbons on display, some day, and in his heart thank the vet that worn them.
  • Options
    edited November -1

YMMV

babun.
    We were not talking about "selling" nor were we beating our chests.
    As I said in my last post;
    "If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand"

SS