In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vietnam Bring-back

sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hypothetically, know a guy that brought back a trophy gun from Vietnam that is an overdrive piece. Story is, in a showdown it was used against him. He won, so he kept the loser's piece. Stored it away for decades until it was forgotten. With a part or two, could function. He never heard of an '86 Cut-off law until a few of years ago which suddenly reminded him of the old piece.

He'd like to fix it up for old memories of 40+yrs ago, and even shoot it. At almost 70, doesn't want to go to prison. Especially just for having something that once almost killed him in battle while he was serving his country.

What to do? What can I tell him that wouldn't put everything he defended and believed in into question? If the Zip had been the victor, he'd have taken gun, ammo, canteen, socks/boots, web gear, lighter & wallet...and he'd been a hero to his people for doing it! So far, all I've heard is he'd probably be labeled a criminal and get about five years for having it. Is that really possible?[V]


  • 1911builderMarine1911builderMarine Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My understanding of the law is that it is illegal to own or possess a firearm that is readily capable of firing more than one shot for a single trigger pull.

    Check the NFA statutes online and ATF policies also available online.

  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donate to a Museum and he can go to look at it anytime.
  • ignats555ignats555 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can own full auto weapons, but you have to jump through some hoops with ATF. Once the ATF is satisfied, then there is the state that you live in. Some states allow full auto some don't. I recall one gun store in Birmingham, AL that had collectible full auto pieces for sale. Most were WWII vintage. You could legally own those weapons in that state. If you are talking about an AK 47, I doubt many museums would be interested in it only because so many were made over the years and are not hard to find.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,725
    edited November -1
    Sorry, but if the weapon in question is an AK, and it did not get papered with the BATFE during the 1968 Amnesty, it cannot BE papered. He could donate to a bona fide museum, but for him to possess an unregistered machinegun in the US (ANYWHERE in the US) if a Federal felony- 10 yrs, $10,000 fine. Once again, if it is full auto, and not registered, there is no way to make it legal now. "Deactivating" one consists of using a cutting torch, chopping receiver into 3 pieces.
  • 0oAKo47o00oAKo47o0 Member Posts: 409 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just don't tell anyone else about it and only fire it on private land, out of earshot of your local game warden.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This MIGHT work. Donate to the Museum, law enforcement, etc. and take the tax write off???
Sign In or Register to comment.