In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dad Was At Cam Ranh Bay

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
Anything you guys could tell me about it?

He was a cement mixer operator. Was stationed there in 1963.

Talks about guard duty up on some point overlooking the bay, and shooting lizards with his M14.

Comments

• Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best deep water port we ever built for them.
    Smoky
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Probably the 577th Engs, part of 18th Brigade, which in turn, was part of the 35th group. I have a good friend that lives in Prineville Oregon, that was part of the same unit.
    I meant him along Hiway 1, I was riding out of the bush on a tank, traffic was stopped because of an accident at a bridge. He was driving a 10 ton truck with Oregon Outlaw painted on the hood. I got off the tank and walked over and asked where he was from. That was almost 46 years ago.
    W.D.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went thru Cam Ranh for R&R and when I left to come home. Didn't get to see much of it as we were restricted to the processing area.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I came home that way too Joe, only time I was ever in Cam Rahn.
    W.D.
  • gricegrice Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Came in country at bin hoa left at can rahn I too didn't see much of it but I could tell it was a huge operation, flights going in and out all day and night!
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    They had lizards nearly as large as Komodo Dragons in Cam Rahn. I saw one that was over 10' long, early one evening walking on the beach, near the 6th Convalescent Center. Which was right on the ocean, and I mean 30' away. That lizard had to be a first cousin of a Komodo Dragon.

We had roast beef for chow that night, which was really Carabao, ie Water Buffalo. Normally, they're very timid, but the odor of the meat cooking must have brought him from the bay side, or out of the ocean; they're excellent swimmers.

A huge Typhoon hit Cam Rahn in early 197O, winds were over 50 MPH. The 6th Convalescent Center was also hit by sappers during the summer of 69. Significant damage was done to several buildings; including a recovery ward.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I arrived there in Feb '71. It was such a memorable event that I started my first book with it. Flew in and out of it several times almost until my DEROS right before they closed it.

That was a truly beautiful beach, except for the eerie Japanese bunkers and pillboxes. It would still make a world-class resort today.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having been all over the world in 20 years in the Navy, I can say that the bay across from the naval station is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. The grey and brown stained rock formations are just gorgeous. The water was crystal clear, the beach was like fresh snow. I went 40 feet down the anchor chain with the ship's diver and was astonished to be able to see clearly for a quarter mile under the water. Was there danger? Hell yes. The water snakes are the most venomous in the world. Death after being bitten is usually 10 minutes or less. I saw many of these snakes while being moored on a P5M flying boat in the bay during shipping survailance operations in the South China Sea.