In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Veteran's thanked by the Senate

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited May 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
The Uniform Services Former Spouses' Protection Act allows former spouses of military folk to get part of their retirements if they were married for atleast 10 years.

The Senate voted this month to remove the 10 year mandate from the act thus any veteran who retired from the military will see his cheating 'ex leaching off of his puny retirement check in 2007.

The new modification to the law will also remove the requirement to notify the veteran that it has received a court order to get his retired checks.

http://www.fra.org/AM/template.cfm?template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=3215&section=news

[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Absolutely sickening.....You are married for 4 months, go on a year tour to Iraq and come back to find out your wife has been boning everyone in sight. You divorce her and continue on with life.

After you retire you find out she get's 50% of your retirement check.

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Of course, no mention is made of the guys who serve overseas and take in some of the "local color" while their wives are at home, eh?

Seems to me the only bad guys ever mentioned are the wives at home.

If you're that scared of having your retirement taken and that sure your wife will bone everyone in sight, don't get married.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Good point EMM.

Vietnam and Korea could see a huge boost to their economy. All they have to do is have their courts issue rulings that GI's that knocked up women over there must surrender 75% of their retirements to support their offspring.

Of course no DNA would be needed in a communist country to prove if it really was his kid. Just some internet hacking to get names and SSN's of some retiree's and whallah....

Cash in baby!

[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Of course, no mention is made of the guys who serve overseas and take in some of the "local color" while their wives are at home, eh?

Seems to me the only bad guys ever mentioned are the wives at home.

If you're that scared of having your retirement taken and that sure your wife will bone everyone in sight, don't get married.

I don't think soldiers should be married...or at least until they've served so many years. Infidelity is a HUGE problem with military wives. Unfortunately, most of them are too young and inmature to deal with the stresses of being married to a soldier...and this can be a major problem for our guys who are deployed.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Red223,

Yeah, I don't think Vietnam would be too particular about the technicalities. To them, "American" still equals mucho $$$$$.

ECC,

Actually, given the youth of many soldiers, I think they too might be a bit immature and unready for marriage. I mean, not to sound to glib about it, but I think you'll agree that it takes a lot less time to learn how to be a good soldier than it does to be a good husband or wife. Otherwise, I agree that maybe marraige should not be allowed for our men and women in the armed services under most circumstances.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An important point here IS: It is not automatically 50%. IF the court awards your ex-spouse a portion of your retirement pay. I was married for 17 of my 20 years as a soldier and my ex gets NOTHING!!!!!!

If you get into that situation , GET A GOOD LAWYER.

This is NOT AUTOMATIC!