In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another lost benefit?

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited July 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Anyone serve in the military in the '90's remember a program that if you were overseas your spouse could go to college and the military would pay 75% of their tuition?

I have a kid here that mentioned his wife wanted to go to school and brought up the program, he said he never heard of it.

I tried to look it up on the internet and can find no education benefits for military spouses overseas other than some small programs.

Was this another cut benefit?

Comments

• Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negative, however, it's only 50% for the dependent spouse. My wife enjoyed the same benefit in 1990-92 while stationed at Clark AB, PI. RAF Lakenheath, UK still have the same program.

Funding might vary from base to base. Best source is the base education service. Pell Grant is also another option to offset the tuition cost.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Along the same lines:

How good are the education benifits for my kids since I am rated at 100% service conected. I know there are education benifits for them but I'm not sure how good they are, or how much they will pay for them.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    * r done,

do some research. I think there are benefits for them.

Seems my inquiring about the old Spouse Education Program for those that are overseas....that was dropped has raised some flags. I posted it on military.com and the paper here had a story saying that Air Force Aid offers up to $1500 for spouse's education assistance.

Anyone that knows that program (air force aid) knows that only officers kids are getting that money.

There is absolutely no program any longer for military spouses overseas for education.

That was a good program that DOD cut.