In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Camp Doha in Kuwait. What's it called now?

sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
edited August 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
We were the last combat troops to leave the desert after Desert Storm, and the first to move into Camp Doha in Kuwait. I often wonder what it's called now and what it looks like. Can anyone tell me? When we moved in it was a mess. Of course they were all warehouses, and the Iraqis trash and pillaged everything they could. The warehouse my company occupied was full of 500lb newspaper rolls. All that stuff was hauled out to the desert and burned. By the time we left there, around the middle of June 1991 it was looking alot better with more and more improvements daily. The PX was crude, but nice to have. I also remember a crappy little pizza place was built, and you could go to another stand and get a free whatever kind of meat hamburger. We even started to get USO shows.

Comments

• Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Same name.

The last military orders for Operation Desert Storm were issued in 1995. Al Kharj, Saudi Arabia....it was closed in 1995 and no more Desert Storm orders were issued.

Dahran got bombed a few months after Al Kharj was closed and Prince Sultan Air Base was created on the very spot that they just tore down a military base. Everyone got shipped out of Dahran and Rhiyahd to the more secure Prince Sultan sand pit. Operation Southern Watch started.
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was there in 2003 Doha was the place to go if you ever got out of Iraq, I think they closed it down, or closing it down soon, everything is moving to Arafjan, I think.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Doha is in the process of being shut down. When I was there a year ago it was a nice place. EXCELLENT chow!!
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    Doha is in the process of being shut down. When I was there a year ago it was a nice place. EXCELLENT chow!!

We used to go there for lunch/dinner from Al Jaber.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD

didn't they win an award for best U.S. chow hall in the Middle East? Gotta love midnight chow at camp Doha, the only time the weather was tollerable there.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I am pretty sure they did. It was a far nicer chow hall than anything I've ever seen stateside!
  • ajbjcjmooreajbjcjmoore Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YES, DOHA is no longer around, i was there last year when it was shut down, everything is now at Arifjan, Doha had a great chow hall, plus a nice little shopping area, not much , but it was nice.

I went on leave out of Doha September of last year, they said we would have been the last units to go on leave from Doha, we came back into a new camp in Kuwait...
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi guys, I'm normally on the ask the experts forum, but stop in here from time to time. I'm stationed in Kuwait as the Northern ARF. Doha was returned to the Kuwaitis in March 06, my guys provided security for the transfer ceramony. You are correct that everything was moved to Arifjan or the SPOD. All leave and pass ops are out of the LSA at Ali Aasaleem, not just for Kuwait, but for the entire theater. We get all over on patrols and such, I'll try to answer any questions you have, (within OPSEC constraints of course :) )
    edited November -1
    its always seemed that there were alot of f@gs at doha judging from the writing on the walls of the bathroom stalls, or maybe it was just soldiers being bored, but I think I saw more drawings of carrots than drawings of mellons on those walls.
    edited November -1
    carrots and mellons huh?

and believe me, in no way am I attempting to disparage our soldiers, I just noticed this and was wondering if there was a reasonable explaination
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimkane
    carrots and mellons huh?

and believe me, in no way am I attempting to disparage our soldiers, I just noticed this and was wondering if there was a reasonable explaination

Profanity. I had to change the first word, so I went ahead and changed the second as well...it seemed to work better using the two together[;)]

I know your intent was not to disparage our troops, but we need to keep this PG-13.[:)]