In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spent Uranium intoxication?

JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
edited February 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Listening to an interview in the radio on my way to work earlier this morning, I heard the president of the Mothers Against War local chapter accusing the federal government of abandoning a local Irak War veteran "ill from Uranium intoxication".

"His surgery will cost him millions of dollars", she blurted. She went as far as describing other family members also affected with "some kind of skin rash in their legs" related to his malaise.

I've read from PTSD, Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome, but never from war theater related depleted Uranium intoxication syndrome. Is this something new, or just some anti-war propaganda?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    Listening to an interview in the radio on my way to work earlier this morning, I heard the president of the Mothers Against War local chapter accusing the federal government of abandoning a local Irak War veteran "ill from Uranium intoxication".

"His surgery will cost him millions of dollars", she blurted. She went as far as describing other family members also affected with "some kind of skin rash in their legs" related to his malaise.

I've read from PTSD, Agent Orange, Gulf War Syndrome, but never from war theater related depleted Uranium intoxication syndrome. Is this something new, or just some anti-war propaganda?

Supposedly, depleted Uranium is a major factor for people in Iraq. I also know that I have significant problems with my teeth and the VA claims that it's related to my service (without an explanation). My teeth are very brittle and keep breaking off piece by piece. I've been told that this is probably the result of radiation.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Eric!!!

As I understood, the radiation levels in spent uranium as used in the military were supposedly harmless.

Would you shine some light on this subject?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    Hey Eric!!!

As I understood, the radiation levels in spent uranium as used in the military were supposedly harmless.

Would you shine some light on this subject?

Hey Doc, I don't know much about it other than that's what everyone thought. I'm not sure if it's b/c we've used so many munitions that they've left the battle fields with dangerous levels, or not. I'm not even sure that my teeth are related, but it is service connected and I was told that radiation can cause the problems I'm having. I have heard and seen pictures of deformed children in Iraq...there's even been some posts in this forum on the subject. If I come across one of the old posts, I'll link to it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Doc...try shooting revolutionjim an email. He has some info on it, I think...Some of the info he's posted is questionable though...along with the links. I've had to delete some of his posts, but he has also contributed with some valuable information.
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can easily do a dosimeter reading on a person to see if they are emitting radiation from exposure.

The military has injected me with radioactive crap atleast 7 times in the last 3-4 years to do MRI's to see if my condition changed....it's safe.[:o)]

GI's get exposed to RF Radiation, Gamma Radation, Microwave Radiation...all sorts of stuff people play with..and because we can't see it....you don't know it's there.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    My understanding is it is not the radiation that causes people to get sick. The problem is that in places the DU (depleted uranium) is in a dust like form, and when you inhale\ingest\get that dust on your skin, it can cause problems.