In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For Alex Varela

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
My Note:My mother knows this soldiers mother and forwarded this to me. I like her idea of wearing red to show support for the troops.

My Moms Note:You don't know Alex Varela..He was a 19 year old Marine who was killed on Sunday in Iraq. His mother is a good friend of ours. I am attaching her e-mail and the story about Alex. Her request of all of us is to wear red on Fridays to show our support of our troops. I hope you can find it in your heart to do so.
When I opened up the paper this morning yet another Stockton soldier (Victor Fontanilla) has lost his life so far away from home. Please remember Alex's family and the Fontanilla family in your prayers.
As Memorial Day approaches, I hope we will all take a moment to remember our troops who are currently serving all over the world pray for their safety.
Thank you...
Sherry

Soldier's Mothers Note:To all, thank you for your support, love and prayers. I know Alex is in the loving arms of his savior Jesus Christ. He is at peace and feeling love that we have only seen a glimmer of ...... Every patrol Alex went on started with a prayer. I cannot even fathom not seeing him for the rest of my life here on earth. My baby, my heart, I would trade all to have him with me again. Please keep your own families close and love them with all your heart.

My special request is to wear Red every Friday, our country should be a sea of red to show support for our brave troops.

http://www.news10.net/video/player_news10.aspx?aid=40102&bw=

Family Mourns Death of Local Soldier Killed In Iraq
Written by Alicia Malaby, Anchor-Reporter
0752120196_varela-soldier3-185.jpg
Pvt. 1st Class Alex Varela

The family of Army Pvt. First Class Alex Varela is mourning his death.

According to Varela's mother, Rinda Pope of Orangevale, Alex was killed on Satruday in Baghdad when the tank he was driving hit an anti-tank mine that was exploded by insurgents.

"It flipped the Bradley over upside down," said Pope. Varela's army buddies told her that the attack killed six U.S. soldiers and one interpreter who were conducting patrols in Baghdad neighborhoods.

Pope added that her son recently told her that every time the military stopped violence in one neighborhood, it would spring up elsewhere. "He said no matter what neighborhood he got in to and cleaned up and quieted down, there was always another one," she said.

Alex Varela, 19, was born in Roseville and grew up in the Orangevale area of Sacramento County. He attended San Juan High School and Casa Robles High School before moving to Fernley, Nevada to live with his father.

Varela was sent to Iraq last October and had come home for two weeks in January when he celebrated his 19th birthday.

Funeral services for Varela are pending. The family is planning his burial at Mount Vernon Memorial Park in Fair Oaks.