In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Poisoned water at Camp Lejuene

rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Just read about this in the Pensacola News Journal last week. First I'd heard of it. I think it was Tuesday's paper if I remember correctly.

It appears the water at Camp Lejuene was highly contaminated with solvents in the '60's, 70's, and '80's for certain and not sure it's safe yet. Indications are those who served there and their families are at significantly increased risk of rare cancers and other maladies.

If you and your's served at Lejuene, probably a good idea to contact you VA rep and doc to ensure it's in your records in case you or your family come down with something unusual.

Once again, it would appear some civil service type didn't do his job other than collecting a paycheck. Same s___, different day.

Comments

• ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every military installation has this problem.

Back in the 60's a nuclear missile caught on fire in it's silo on Ft. Dix....the Army jumped in their cars and headed West. After it burned up....they filled it with concrete. Mmmm mmmm good water in those parts.

When I was in California I figured they have strict environmental laws..when I get stationed there they should have the best facilities....nope. They were using 1950's waterfall paintbooths...the Cali Air Folk gave them a permit for it....the water contamination wasn't the Air Quality Office's concern. So all the contaminated water was dumped down the drain and made it to the local stream...finally they found high VOCs, metals, ...bad stuff in the stream. The military has this bone head China man as the Environmental Chief and he was a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. For $12,000 the waterfall paintbooth could have been converted to a dry filter...he couldn't think of that nor saw a problem.

I tore the paintbooth apart and modified it...still being used in California today. Tri-Stage filters with a computer that monitors filter restriction and will shut it down if the filters are bad.

What did I get out of it? NOTHING. Wasn't even my job. They just pee'd me off because they were poisoning the people in California. I submitted this as an IDEA to the AF IDEA program....where smart ideas that save money will give you an award......they denied me.

LOL. Crooks. I did it anyways.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:When I was in California I figured they have strict environmental laws..when I get stationed there they should have the best facilities....nope. They were using 1950's waterfall paintbooths...the Cali Air Folk gave them a permit for it....the water contamination wasn't the Air Quality Office's concern. So all the contaminated water was dumped down the drain and made it to the local stream...finally they found high VOCs, metals, ...bad stuff in the stream. The military has this bone head China man as the Environmental Chief and he was a complete waste of taxpayer dollars. For $12,000 the waterfall paintbooth could have been converted to a dry filter...he couldn't think of that nor saw a problem.

ObiWan, that sure sounds alot like the old Norton AFB in San Bernardino, CA. The ground water there is so bad that the lacal residents are often given notice to not use the water for ANYTHING! During that time they have to use bottled water for everything from drinking and cooking to bathing and cleaning. When the Feds closed the base it was up to the local governments to do all the clean up.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    people in California are against nuclear reactors...anything nuclear.

Little do they know but their land is a huge radioactive contamination site. Get a geiger counter and walk around in the Northern part of the State. The old military sites are now sprawling suburban communities...contaminated with......
  • rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just spoke with a county Veterans Services Officer last night. He agreed, make sure your VA rep knows if you've been stationed at any of these places where you might have been exposed to something sinister. Document it now so you get coverage if you get sick. Heaven knows we've all been ridden hard and put away wet enough without this crap not being covered by the VA for lack of documentation.