In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Well the Army F'd me agian

Aaron.Combs1Aaron.Combs1 Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
edited August 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
This all started back in August of 06 My wife and i knew that we were due a child in December. Ok, so I bring it up to my command. I asked to take my full 30 days leave instead of the 15 that we are given (I am deployed right now) luckily I know the general ?? and he agreed. So I got to go home for a moth (DEC20-JAN22) before that however I had actually asked to receive a mission complete in Kuwait, and work full time at my unit in support of 143D TRANSCOM FW. (Im a reservist) until my unit re-mob??s, so that way I would still be making money, supporting my unit, and be able to take care of my wife and new born?K. The answer was of course no! Also in the month of December, all of out G- Staff was sent home because our unit merged with our higher, and many of the positions that were held by soldiers in our unit were already filled by our higher so they sent these people home (Appx. 20-30 soldiers) mind you there were the G-staff, so All of the E9??s and O5??s and above went home (as well as a few O4??s) all that was left as far as a unit went was our HHC which technically ?? did not exist?" because of the merge. Once this merge happened, I was tasked out to a subordinate unit (here was the break down)

ASG Kuwait
3D Army
377th
143rd TRANSOM
336th Trans GP.
39th Trans BN.
948th MCT

The 143D merged into the 377th however I was tasked to the 948th out of Vegas. Here is where it gets really retarded.

Ever since December the 143d has chosen its ??select soldiers?" (or the ones who I refer to as the ones who kiss the Top and the commander??s * as a nice way to put it) get sent home. Some for valid reasons like AGR problems etc?K however one guy was sent home because he wanted to see his son graduate form HS?K.. HELLO!!! WTH I had a baby my wife in 19 (almost 20) we have no family in our area, and he gets to go home to see is son graduate?K Ok I said to myself, maybe something happened other than the stated reason, and he is going home?K come to find out that 3 more people are going home ??just because?" one because she is moving, another because her is the Generals Kiss * and got tired of being here, and the other I don??t know the reason, but over all this whole thing is rather shady?K
ON TOP OF ALL OF THIS, the Army decided that it was going to take back the money that it paid me while I was on leave instead of after I re-mobbed. So they over drew my account by almost $500, then my wife got a bill from the Dr. that we owe 350 dollars for 2 moth shots for our daughter (TRICARE only paid 100 when they should have paid the whole thing) I called them tonight, and the brochure that we got from our FRG about TRICARE was wrong. My wife had to take the baby in for her 4 month shots today which will set us back another 350 dollars. I am sooooo Over the military right now!

Comments

• Options
    whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aaron,
    My youngest son is deployed for the third time, just as his first child is 4 months old. He figures he'll miss the first steps, first da da, first birthday. War is hell, God bless you for your service to our country.
    God Bless America.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Aaron, I know that you are pissed right now and I understand that you are "over the army". But remember that you still have a mission to complete and your head needs to be in theater, not back home. I hope I don't sound to rough in saying that, I'm just an old gulf war vet that wants to watch out after your young bucks. Trust me, no matter how tough you have it now, you will remember your time in the army as the best time of your life.
    How can I say that? Because that is the exact way that I feel. I am not some guy that just went into the service for the college money, I joined for a career. But sometimes things happen in life that we can't control. Right now I can not control the pain in my back and legs due to my service connected disability. I did not get to be a career soldier like I wanted to and I have had to pay the price for it everyday for the past 15 years. But I still look at my time with Bravo company 16th Ord as some of the best days of my life, and it's not because that was the last time I could walk properly. It is because of the pride that I feel for having served in the army, having served my country.
    So do not get discouraged, we need you to complete your mission. It will be hard but you have been through worse. Continue the good work and remember that I am proud of you for the sacrifice that you are making for me. I wish I could be standing beside you at this time, but my legs won't support me. But I can be here for you in support. If you ever need someone to vent to please feel free to E-Mail me, I will always be there to help.

PS: If you think your getting screwed now, wait till you deal with the VA.

PFC Bryant S. Campbell, U.S. Army Retired
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19
    Aaron, I know that you are pissed right now and I understand that you are "over the army". But remember that you still have a mission to complete and your head needs to be in theater, not back home. I hope I don't sound to rough in saying that, I'm just an old gulf war vet that wants to watch out after your young bucks. Trust me, no matter how tough you have it now, you will remember your time in the army as the best time of your life.
    How can I say that? Because that is the exact way that I feel. I am not some guy that just went into the service for the college money, I joined for a career. But sometimes things happen in life that we can't control. Right now I can not control the pain in my back and legs due to my service connected disability. I did not get to be a career soldier like I wanted to and I have had to pay the price for it everyday for the past 15 years. But I still look at my time with Bravo company 16th Ord as some of the best days of my life, and it's not because that was the last time I could walk properly. It is because of the pride that I feel for having served in the army, having served my country.
    So do not get discouraged, we need you to complete your mission. It will be hard but you have been through worse. Continue the good work and remember that I am proud of you for the sacrifice that you are making for me. I wish I could be standing beside you at this time, but my legs won't support me. But I can be here for you in support. If you ever need someone to vent to please feel free to E-Mail me, I will always be there to help.

PS: If you think your getting screwed now, wait till you deal with the VA.

PFC Bryant S. Campbell, U.S. Army Retired

Very wise words...
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aaron,
    Everything will work out in time. I agree,.........you must try and keep your mind focused on your job, and your surroundings. That will be very hard to do with a wife, and young baby waiting for you, but is necessary to insure your return.
    You're almost there bud,.......hang tough.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah i think that that is one of the only things that is keeping me going is my mission, and my watching after my soldiers. i just hate Army politics and especialy since i am in a command unit it is even worse.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:yeah i think that that is one of the only things that is keeping me going is my mission, and my watching after my soldiers. i just hate Army politics and especialy since i am in a command unit it is even worse.

I know what you mean, you didn't join the Army to become a polatition. Try to stay out of the petty discusions and the stupid crap that happens in the company area, that will help a little. Just keep your mind on the mission and you will be fine. It was almost better for us during the first gulf war, we didn't have cell phones and internet to keep us connected to the outside, so we could only concentrate on what we were doing. Push that junk aside and keep you mind in theater and you'll be just fine.

Remember that all of us back here are supporting you, let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Aaron,..........keep focused, and you will be home soon. If there is anything we here can do for you, or your family, let us know,..........I am sure a lot of us will pitch in and help. You are not alone man,.........don't ever feel that way![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark [:)]
  • Options
    beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me that if the command gave you 30 days leave in December while the rest of the unit was engaged in combat operations you should be down on your knees thanking them for being so good to you rather than whining like a spoiled child. Just remember someone was pulling your load while you were getting to play with your new bouncing baby. And if your unit was absorbed by another it sure makes sense to me to send the extraneous senior staff home. It certainly makes for a heck of a lot better staff work and a lot less confusion. My advice would be tell your wife she is going to have to deal with the baby by herself for a while and to stop bothering you with her minor concerns. You have a job to do over there if you get you butt blown away worrying about some doctor's bill instead of your sector.....she's going to have to worry about the baby all on her own for a long time. Also you might want to look at all of those "select soldiers" who get to go home early. Perhaps many of them were the guys who were carrying your load while you were at home in December playing with the newborn. Frankly as a CO I'd put your name at the end of the list for priority to leave the combat zone since you already got your Christmas "freebe". And if you whine at all over there about the unfairness of it all it probably just reinforces their evaluation of who to send home first. Oh yeah I would also send someone who had been incountry the entire deployment home for his kids graduation over someone who had just got back from his 30 day vacation with Mommy and baby. I really think you need to grow a little backbone and see it from the big picture rather than your narrow window of self interest. Oh by the way thank you for serving our country in its time of need. Beach

P.S. I just noticed that this was written in May. Hopefully you are home by now and the unfair Army has become a part of your past.
  • Options
    cooterudycooterudy Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally understand what you are saying. I have deployed 5 times and have 37 months in country since the war kicked off. And let me tell you I have missed my childs birth, birthday, Aniversary, My birthday, Wifes, Birthday and Thanksgiving, Christmas. Every year since the war started. What really chaps me is I have missed hunting season too. So I have a brand New bow that has hardly been shot. :-( What I can say is this. Just suck it up and drive on. The Military is full of politics. Its hard I know. I understand what you are going through and I have watched it tear my family apart. Yes I am Active Duty. But STill I want to be home with my family too. It will work out man just smile and bare it. You need anything just ask
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to let you know-
    I'm active duty. My first son was born when I was in Iraq with 4 months left (I'm USMC; we're there for 7). My second was born within 36 hours of my return from 4 months being away. This fathers' day was my first with either of my kids (out of 3 possible). I never have spent my wife's birthday with her. Actually next week will be our first. out of 5 possible years. I would never do it differently.
    I've got friends who've had it far worse than me as well. Gotta keep things in perspective.
  • Options
    OldNavyGuyOldNavyGuy Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greetings Soldier,
    First of all, let me offer my thanks to you and to your fellow soldiers for volunteering to do the job that you do. I am proud of each and everyone of you for that.

However, I am did-appointed in your attitude regarding the matter you discussed in your post. You my friend are a soldier, you took an oath to defend the constitution and obey ALL orders from officers appointed over you. Your employer is each american citizen. Each of us depends on you to do your job, keep our contry strong and safe, protect our way of life.

I am an old retired NAVY Seadog .... I did 20 years active duty. I had a couple of wives and a few kids along the way. I did my best to be there with them as much as I could. But my obligation to Uncle Sam caused me to be absent quite a bit.

They cried and complained. That's understandable. I DIDN'T CRY AND COMPLAIN ! You know why? Because I was a "Sailor" ...just like you are a "Soldier". This occupational hazard called "family seperation" is part of it !

So, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, wipe your nose on your sleeve. Get rid of those tears before the "Enemy" sees them
    SUCK IT UP ....BE MORE THAN A MAN, BE A SOLDIER !

I leave you with this ..... "Any one who takes the oath that you and I took ... who thinks they have a wage earning job that is comparable to a civilian position ... that person who thinks that way, is a "THIEF" of the chow he eats ...and he is a "TRESSPASSER" of the bunk that he sleeps in.

Now, if you cant hack it? You better get your Jacket ! Pass your weapon to the man standing next to you , look him in the eye and tell him that you are bailing out and he is on his own .... because things are just a little to rough for you .

You have pissed me off ! 20 years active duty has given me that priviledge to be pissed off at you. It is my hope you will take this to heart and become what you call yourself ... "A SOLDIER"

Machinist Mate 1st Class, United States Navy ...retired
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OldNavyGuy
    Greetings Soldier,
    First of all, let me offer my thanks to you and to your fellow soldiers for volunteering to do the job that you do. I am proud of each and everyone of you for that.

However, I am did-appointed in your attitude regarding the matter you discussed in your post. You my friend are a soldier, you took an oath to defend the constitution and obey ALL orders from officers appointed over you. Your employer is each american citizen. Each of us depends on you to do your job, keep our contry strong and safe, protect our way of life.

I am an old retired NAVY Seadog .... I did 20 years active duty. I had a couple of wives and a few kids along the way. I did my best to be there with them as much as I could. But my obligation to Uncle Sam caused me to be absent quite a bit.

They cried and complained. That's understandable. I DIDN'T CRY AND COMPLAIN ! You know why? Because I was a "Sailor" ...just like you are a "Soldier". This occupational hazard called "family seperation" is part of it !

So, pull yourself up by the bootstraps, wipe your nose on your sleeve. Get rid of those tears before the "Enemy" sees them
    SUCK IT UP ....BE MORE THAN A MAN, BE A SOLDIER !

I leave you with this ..... "Any one who takes the oath that you and I took ... who thinks they have a wage earning job that is comparable to a civilian position ... that person who thinks that way, is a "THIEF" of the chow he eats ...and he is a "TRESSPASSER" of the bunk that he sleeps in.

Now, if you cant hack it? You better get your Jacket ! Pass your weapon to the man standing next to you , look him in the eye and tell him that you are bailing out and he is on his own .... because things are just a little to rough for you .

You have pissed me off ! 20 years active duty has given me that priviledge to be pissed off at you. It is my hope you will take this to heart and become what you call yourself ... "A SOLDIER"

Machinist Mate 1st Class, United States Navy ...retired

Well said OldNavy...
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OOOORAHHH OLDNAVY war is hell but we have a job to do PROTECT THE USA you shouda been a jarhead SEMPER FI
  • Options
    OldNavyGuyOldNavyGuy Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You ECC, and Thank You Kumate.

It saddens me to have to "jet-blast" one of our own like that, but sometimes its necessary . (had to do it many times in the past, as I am sure you have as well). I just hope the young lad heeds our advise. WE ARE ALL counting on him and his peers!

Thanks for the ..."I should have been a Marine"... comment (lol) and the "Semper FI" hail ! "Fair winds and Follwing Seas" to you to my "Navy Infantry" friend.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by OldNavyGuy
    Thank You ECC, and Thank You Kumate.

It saddens me to have to "jet-blast" one of our own like that, but sometimes its necessary . (had to do it many times in the past, as I am sure you have as well). I just hope the young lad heeds our advise. WE ARE ALL counting on him and his peers!

Thanks for the ..."I should have been a Marine"... comment (lol) and the "Semper FI" hail ! "Fair winds and Follwing Seas" to you to my "Navy Infantry" friend.
    That was why I never commented on this.

Everyone is correct in saying to suck it up!

Every person currently in our military signed the dotted line under thier own accord and knew of the possibilities when they did so!

I would feel different if there was a single person that was drafted (and I would support the draft) and put in that situation, but the fact is this guy was not drafted!