In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remember the PARASITE??

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
I was on the Vietnam Vet forum and somebody posted on an article from July/Aug 07. Mrs Edward Harrisons husband died from a parasite contracted during his tour in Viet Nam.The parasite was very prevalent in Nam.Mr. Harrison no longer carried the parasite but damaged cells in the bile duct of the liver became cancerous.He died of cholangiocarcinoma.Now as D.Storm Veterans we also had a parasite in Saudi.I remember having to take my Hummer down to the Gulf and blasting all the sand out of every crevice with powerful water pumps.They did,nt want any sand coming back because of a parasite in it.Some of the wives/girlfriends wanted sand for a momento but that was a no no.Now i know our conditions were not nearly as bad for the most of us in Storm as Nam Vets had.Most of us had clean water to drink.Also i dont know if there is any relation of these two parasites or if the Saudi ones could inhabit the in internals of humans.Does any body know the name of the Saudi parasite? Has there been a study?Who can shed some light on this?

Comments

• Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    Prevalence of pathogenic intestinal parasites among Saudi rural schoolchildren
    MOHAMMED ABDULAZIZ AL-SEKAIT, LUBNA ABDULRHMAN AL-ANSARY and FATEN AL-ZAMEL
    Department of Community Medicine, King Saud University Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Mohammed A. Al-Sekalt, Department of Community Medicine, College of Medicine, King Saud University, P.O. Box 7805, Riyadh 11472, Saudi Arabia

A national survey was carried out in 1991 to assess the prevalence of pathogenic intestinal parasites in rural Saudi Arabian schoolchildren aged 6-18 years. Nine thousand eight hundred and eighty-one children underwent a clinical evaluation and stool specimens were examined, using direct microscopy. Intestinal pathogenic parasites were found in 2, 233 (22.6%) children. The major parasites isolated were Giardia lamblia (13.5%), Schistosoma mansoni (3.8%), Entamoeba histolytica (2.5%), Hymenolepis nana (2.5%), Ascaris lumbricoides (2.0%) and Entrobius vermicularis (1.0%). Prevalence of intestinal parasites was significantly associated with the child's age, sex, father's educational level, non-public water supply and inadequate latrine type. The highest risk group was children 6-8 years old, whose father were illiterate and had no latrine.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    f908.jpg

The illness from Viet Nam is most likely schistosomiasis due to infestation from S. mansoni

http://www.emedicine.com/med/byname/Schistosomiasis.htm
    http://www.cdfound.to.it/HTML/sch1.htm

The parasite is found in most slow moving fresh tropical waters where the snail B. glabrata coexists.
  • Options
    toyplanettoyplanet Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You think with all the PB they injected us with, it would kill any parasite.
  • Options
    JDevine2ndJDevine2nd Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the parasites that come from the sand fleas (middle east) called Leishmaniasis?

http://www.cdc.gov/NCIDOD/DPD/parasites/leishmania/factsht_leishmania.htm
    That URL has all the info we got on it.