In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Random VA question

shamtasticshamtastic Member Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I am still on terminal leave. I was supposed to be ETS'd last september but got snagged for the full 15 monther... During my post deployment health assesment my battalion surgeon told me to follow up on my back problems with the VA. During my ETS physical, the Dr. told me to follow up on the hearing and concussion stuff at a TBI clinic they are supposed to have at the SLC VA hospital. Now, do I have to wait untill my terminal leave is over and I am ETS'd to go to the VA hospital, or can I do it now?

Comments

• cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty sure you can go now, but shouldn't you try to get your back fixed before you get out?
  • shamtasticshamtastic Member Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could have, but I would have ended staying even longer than the ten months extra I already did. The PA and bn surgeon told me to take the PDHA documenting my problem with me and follow up with the VA health care system. Plus, trying to get in fixed in an infantry unit.... I remember the first time I went in for it in 2004, I was a PFC and they asked me if it only hurt during PT times, gave me IB profin and sent me on my way.
  • QMCwasmeQMCwasme Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure how much time you have left in, but, here goes...
    Get copies of your DD2900(from the PDHRA) and the DA2173(LoD) and take them to the VA with you. You can enroll now while active duty, just keep in mind that while on active duty you still fall under TRICARE authorization for care.
    But, make sure you have that back problem well documented. I would also recommend contacting a VSO(Veteran Service Officer) about starting a claim. Not sure how much time you have left on active duty, but, utilize the time you have to get that back looked at and get as much corrected as possible before you get out.
    I can't stress enough about documentation. If you are discharged due to a disability, make sure it says it in the narrative section of your DD214. If nothing is in your medical records, get statements from friends or anyone that served with you when the injury happened that knows about it.
    Please, feel free to drop me a line if I can help any further.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Just my 2 cents. Get copies of your medical records, make sure to have at least one Certified as a true copy.

If you were in the hospital while in. Make sure to get a copy of those record. They will not be in the record the clinic keeps.

I started my paper work while stil on active duty. I even had my Voc rehab Started and was Attending the University Of Oregon while I was on Terminal Leave.