In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Montgomery GI Bill

OldNavyGuyOldNavyGuy Member Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
Hi all,

I retired from the Navy in 2002. Before retiring I cashed out my "VEAP" and paid the 1200 to enroll into the Montgomery GI Bill. I understand that this is a benifit that imust use within 10 years of leaving active duty.

Things are getting slow at the shipyard (getting tired of turning wrenches anyway) I am thinking about enrolling in school and kicking off my GI bill benefits.

I just need some advice as to how? What is the first step? Anyone here done it, that can possibly give me any heads up as to "mine fields" or "booby traps" to avoid? Let me know.

Thanks,

Machinist Mate 1st Class, United States Navy (Retired)

Comments

• Options
    walther86walther86 Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to start by talking to the VA representative/advisor at the school you plan on attending. From there the advisor can usually point you in the right direction and help you get any paperwork you need. It can be a pretty simple process if you've got a good VA rep at the school. You just have to let them know the classes you've registered for every semester and make sure that they count towards your degree. You can probably check out your state's military education website and see any military/retired military scholarships. Hope this helps
  • Options
    clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is right all you need to do is talk to hte VA Rep at the school that you plan on attending. They will line out the paper work with/for you. I used mine in order to obtain my degree, it might take a little while prior to recieving your first check, you will get back pay as well as get a reg check after that.

Also, keep in mind that if you have dependents that the GI Bill is now transferable to them.
  • Options
    crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Make sure to follow up on it, and apply as early as you can. It takes awhile to recieve your first payment depending on when you apply, how busy the VA is, and how long your school takes to process it. I had 2 different results with two different schools, one was smooth, the other I called in my congressman. Bear in mind people can and will screw up, I missed a signature and it took the school 3 weeks to tell me AFTER I checked on the status and everything was OK.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

Also, keep in mind that if you have dependents that the GI Bill is now transferable to them.

You might want to double check - this varies from service branch and is AFSC/MOS dependent.
  • Options
    bocacciobocaccio Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did 4 in the Corps. and use the gi bill now for online courses at Univ. Of Phoenix. I'm getting around 1100 or less a month. Is there any truth that I can register my children/dependants and receive more? My wife said she read that somewhere.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bocaccio
    I did 4 in the Corps. and use the gi bill now for online courses at Univ. Of Phoenix. I'm getting around 1100 or less a month. Is there any truth that I can register my children/dependants and receive more? My wife said she read that somewhere.

The Army is the only branch I know that allows transfer of benefits to dependents but as previously noted, it depends on MOSs ... see link ...

http://www.gibill.va.gov/documents/Army_Transferability_to_Dependents.pdf
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bocaccio

nope.

s/f
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    For kids check what each stats has to Offer. Know when I retired Calif had a good program. Any Disabled Vet's children got their collge paid for. When I retired I was rated at 30% so my son Qualified.

But as is with most kids he went his own way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's a link to Chapter 35 Pamphlet (Dependent's Education Assistance Program) ...

https://www.gibill.va.gov/pamphlets/CH35/CH35_Pamphlet.pdf

Good luck!