In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does anyone know of natural remedies that help...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
with Gulf War Syndrome...some of this stuff is getting hard to deal with. I'm looking for anything that might help. Someone today told me to go to the local farm supply and buy some Oxytetracylcline (sp?)...and that it had helped clear up most of one person's problems. Anyone heard of this.?.? There has to be something out there that can help treat our problems...

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    The only thing I have ever heard of that supposedly helps is doxycycline. I have yet to find a doctor who will perscrib it to me.

It is an antibiotic and I do not know how long a person is suppost to take it or anything.

Capt. Joyce Riely is were I heard this from on radio talk show that have delt with the subject.

As far a natural stuff I renenber hearing of stuff that help treat symptoms but nothing to help permanent. I do not remember which stuff it is but I remember looking once and all the things were super expencive and I just could not afford to take the stuff like thet claimed it should be taken as it would have cost nearly $30 a day for all the stuff from the natural medicines stores (which was the only place that carried the stuff.

I'll dig through my paper work to try to find all the info for you. But it may take awhile because I think it is burried out in my shed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Kevin...if you come across it, I'd like know what it is...but don't break your neck trying to find it...
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    * Benadryl 25-50 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hours; makes the occasional person feel "wired")
    * Melatonin 3-6 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (mild)
    * Valerian (variable dosing) duration 3-4 hours (mild)
    * 5 Hydroxy-tryptophan 50-200 mg before bed (serotonin precursor; may help depression; mild )
    * Amitryptiline 5-50 mg 1-2 hrs before bed, or another tricyclic antidepressant
    * Trazodone 25-200 mg (mild antidepressant, may cause priapism so I avoid in males)
    * Neurontin 100-800mg (also helps with pain)
    * Cyclobenzaprine 5-20 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hrs, muscle relaxant)
    * Ambien 5-10 mg 15 minutes before bed (duration 4-10 hrs, too strong for some patients, may disorient them; acts suddenly)
    * Remeron 15-30 mg (causes weight gain so reserve for those underweight, is an antidepressant)
    * Benzodiazepines (for short-term use; helpful if anxiety a problem; use benzodiazepines with a short half-life in those who are weak or may fall)

http://www.anthraxvaccine.org/gulfwartreatment.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    * Benadryl 25-50 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hours; makes the occasional person feel "wired")
    * 5 Hydroxy-tryptophan 50-200 mg before bed (serotonin precursor; may help depression; mild )
    * Trazodone 25-200 mg (mild antidepressant, may cause priapism so I avoid in males)
    * Cyclobenzaprine 5-20 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hrs, muscle relaxant)
    * Ambien 5-10 mg 15 minutes before bed (duration 4-10 hrs, too strong for some patients, may disorient them; acts suddenly)
    * Remeron 15-30 mg (causes weight gain so reserve for those underweight, is an antidepressant)
    * Benzodiazepines (for short-term use; helpful if anxiety a problem; use benzodiazepines with a short half-life in those who are weak or may fall)

Those are all perscription (most of them I have been on at one time or another in the last 16 years), he was asking about natural remedies like you might get at GNC or some other health store.
  • Options
    Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    * Benadryl 25-50 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hours; makes the occasional person feel �wired�)

Those are all perscription (most of them I have been on at one time or another in the last 16 years), he was asking about natural remedies like you might get at GNC or some other health store.

oh [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    * Benadryl 25-50 mg 1-2 hrs before bed (duration 6-10 hours; makes the occasional person feel �wired�)

oh [:p]

Thanks for the effort though Jacob...I've been on so many prescriptions in the past 15 years that I could literally start a pharmacy...I did not take most of them. The VA just wants to dope you up.
  • Options
    RonboRonbo Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st post since joining this forum. I am a Desert Storm Veteran also. And I came home sick like so many others. I was lucky enough to find a product that actually helped me and is not a drug. It is called Biochoice Immune26. It is a supplement. The only way to get it is to order it through the company, which is Legacy For Life out of Florida. I am not a distributor for it. I just know it wirked for me. there is also a Dr in Detroit that was using it for his Gulf War patients. His name is DR Gregory Forestall. It's for sure worth checking out. It worked wonders for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ronbo
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st post since joining this forum. I am a Desert Storm Veteran also. And I came home sick like so many others. I was lucky enough to find a product that actually helped me and is not a drug. It is called Biochoice Immune26. It is a supplement. The only way to get it is to order it through the company, which is Legacy For Life out of Florida. I am not a distributor for it. I just know it wirked for me. there is also a Dr in Detroit that was using it for his Gulf War patients. His name is DR Gregory Forestall. It's for sure worth checking out. It worked wonders for me.

Thank you Ronbo! I am looking for anything that can help...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only thing I have ever heard of that supposedly helps is doxycycline. I have yet to find a doctor who will perscrib it to me.

It is an antibiotic and I do not know how long a person is suppost to take it or anything.

Capt. Joyce Riely is were I heard this from on radio talk show that have delt with the subject.

As far a natural stuff I renenber hearing of stuff that help treat symptoms but nothing to help permanent. I do not remember which stuff it is but I remember looking once and all the things were super expencive and I just could not afford to take the stuff like thet claimed it should be taken as it would have cost nearly $30 a day for all the stuff from the natural medicines stores (which was the only place that carried the stuff.

I'll dig through my paper work to try to find all the info for you. But it may take awhile because I think it is burried out in my shed.

This was from results of testing done by a DR Nicholson (can't remember 1st name) His daughter came back sick. It was actually spread from her to one of their pets that died. I believe it was the 1st disease found that could be transferred from a human to an animal. Dr Nicholson's research was being funded by Ross Perot. Last I heard, I think he was in TX.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One other thing, if you are having a lot of pain is to make sure you have your calcium levels checked. I had "hyperparathyroid". My parathyroids got all screwed up and were pulling the calcium out of my bones and teeth and depositing it in my blood. If your calcium level gets to 15, it is determined to be critical. I got up to 14.3. A parathyroid is about the size of a grain of rice and you have 4-6 of then located in your neck area. All of mine had shut down except for one. when they found it, it was about the size of a walnut and was working way too much overtime, trying to compensate for the others. Don't know if it was caused by DU dust or what happened. Maybe, maybe the shots, maybe just a combination of everything. I was also in the Kamisiyah area, being a combat engineer, so who knows.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One other thing, if you are having a lot of pain is to make sure you have your calcium levels checked. I had "hyperparathyroid". My parathyroids got all screwed up and were pulling the calcium out of my bones and teeth and depositing it in my blood. If your calcium level gets to 15, it is determined to be critical. I got up to 14.3. A parathyroid is about the size of a grain of rice and you have 4-6 of then located in your neck area. All of mine had shut down except for one. when they found it, it was about the size of a walnut and was working way too much overtime, trying to compensate for the others. Don't know if it was caused by DU dust or what happened. Maybe, maybe the shots, maybe just a combination of everything. I was also in the Kamisiyah area, being a combat engineer, so who knows.

This is something I will have to look into, b/c my teeth are falling out and brittle too...perhaps the lack of calcium is why.
  • Options
    edited November -1

This was from results of testing done by a DR Nicholson (can't remember 1st name) His daughter came back sick. It was actually spread from her to one of their pets that died. I believe it was the 1st disease found that could be transferred from a human to an animal. Dr Nicholson's research was being funded by Ross Perot. Last I heard, I think he was in TX.

Not 100% sure, but I believe his name was DR Garth Nicholson?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

This is something I will have to look into, b/c my teeth are falling out and brittle too...perhaps the lack of calcium is why.
    I have lost several teeth myself. They were whole teeth that just fell out for no aparent reason.
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytetracycline

Even the cure can make your teeth fall out.
  • Options
    pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your not afraid to think out of the box, I would suggest Accupuncture, it is another form of Holistic health and has been working for thousands of years. Be sure you go to someone who really knows what they are doing. They should take you off all of the pharmacudical drugs and put you on herbal meds. The problem with perscription meds is that they work on one thing and destroy another, so you never get well and the pharmacudical companies get rich.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pipe7
    If your not afraid to think out of the box, I would suggest Accupuncture, it is another form of Holistic health and has been working for thousands of years. Be sure you go to someone who really knows what they are doing. They should take you off all of the pharmacudical drugs and put you on herbal meds. The problem with perscription meds is that they work on one thing and destroy another, so you never get well and the pharmacudical companies get rich.

Pipe7, I could not agree more...the problem is that most of the folks who've gotten to the point we are at can no longer afford alternative medicine...10 years ago I could have paid for it...and I did...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting read on that BioChoice ""supplement""

www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2002/CFSANbiochoice.htm

Try these:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-clove.html

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-betelnut.html

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-zinc.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ObiWan
    Interesting read on that BioChoice ""supplement""

www.fda.gov/cder/warn/cyber/2002/CFSANbiochoice.htm

Try these:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-clove.html

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-betelnut.html

www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-zinc.html

This has happened before. someone put up a website making claims that they are not allowed to by law. a supplement can not claim in anyway whatsoever that it can/will cure any kind of illness. The FDA also was crying about some folks having websites that had testimonials on them.
    Folks, I don't realyy care what the FDA or any Dr says. This stuff works, plain and simple. It is not a drug, you can not overdose on it, and you can take it with any medications you are currently on. The only negative side to it is the fact that you should no take it if you are allergic to eggs. If you want to research it more, check out DR Gregory Forstall in Michigan. He was the chief dr at the disease prevention center in Detroit. He wa actually prescribing biochoice to his patients that were/are Gulf War Veterans.
    PS: I am not a distributor, I just researched this very thoroughly before I started on it and know that it does work.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    what was it that you guys were exposed to that is causing all these problems for you?

My b-i-l just died last year from skin cancer, pretty sure it was agent orange or whatever else they were using over there. He was in Vietnam 2 tours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC,

read this:

www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/military_sarin_gulfwar_070525w/

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4997808/

2004, 2 Americans get contaminated with Sarin yet again...this time from a 155mm artillery piece rigged as a road side bomb.

From what I've read about Sarin exposure, avoid all pesticides for the rest of your life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC,

read this:

2004, 2 Americans get contaminated with Sarin yet again...this time from a 155mm artillery piece rigged as a road side bomb.

From what I've read about Sarin exposure, avoid all pesticides for the rest of your life.

Obiwan...It's very funny you should mention this!!! I have clearly noted, and mentioned to other people that I seem to be VERY sensitive to pesticide exposure!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC,

read this:

Thanks for the links! My wife is sitting here shaking her head b/c I cannot even tollerate mild indoor pesticides.
  • Options
    drcoachdrcoach Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As for me It helped to do a detox there are many on the market. I still havent gained weight back or stopped the fatigue. But alot of other symtoms have gone. By the way I was a NBC NCO with the Big Red One over there and we found Chemical Munitions in three different bunkers. All had been scrafed by our airpower.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho
    Tried accupuncture?

http://www.acupuncture.com/newsletters/m_feb08/TCM and Asthma.htm

Hope this helps.

Doc...I have tried Acupuncture and it works...but it's extremely expensive...in the DC area it was $300-$500 a visit.
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1

it works...but it's extremely expensive...in the DC area it was $300-$500 a visit.

$500 a visit? Wow!!! Maybe I'm working in the wrong geographical area.

You could train yourself or your wife in accupressure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupressure
    http://www.acupressure.com/articles/introacu.htm
    http://www.beatcfs.info/accpress.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Polite Psycho

it works...but it's extremely expensive...in the DC area it was $300-$500 a visit.

$500 a visit? Wow!!! Maybe I'm working in the wrong geographical area.

You could train yourself or your wife in accupressure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acupressure
    http://www.acupressure.com/articles/introacu.htm
    http://www.beatcfs.info/accpress.htm

Thanks for the info Doc! I had quite a bit of acupuncture done back east. It was traditional Japanese acupuncture. That little Japanese girl did something that gave me an erection every time I was in there...and she would giggle and talk about it in Japanese to another girl there. It was involuntary, so it had to have something to do with the way she put those needles, glass suction cups, etc on me...[^] I always got real cold during the session, but afterwards I felt a lot better...more energy, healthier, etc.
  • Options
    drfosterdrfoster Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just found this forum - I'm a Gulf Vet, Somalia, OIF / OEF (O-3 / USMC, C-130 driver) and now with the VA as a physician.

Original Poster: You need to find a second opinion on the VA's dime, or your own insurance. I would highly suggest going through a D.O. (check your state's licensing board for D.O.'s in your area)

RE: below copied post, I would NEVER lay out such a treatment regimen for gulf war syndrome or ptsd. You're using so many depressants and habit forming meds, it is completely unethical to prescribe or recommend all of this.

Trazadone is POISION to anyone with PTSD and (unfortunately) is handed out like candy because it is cheap. It is far too long lasting in its lethargic side effects to be of any use to the patient. All I've ever seen it used for is to keep someone slow and alive until they die. This is the WORST medication I've ever seen.

Any multiple Benzos (especially two or three different ones) should be eliminated, save ONE (maybe) for anxiety.

Melatonin and Valerian are homeopathics that won't assist ambien. Ambien will overpower the other two and just leave you with altered blood chemistry or something strange that is unnecessary.

The short term effects of the benzodiazepines would leave the patient waking up in the middle of the night with a withdrawal symptom. Troubles sleeping are better handled with sleep therapy, use of the ILP (independent Living Program) in the VA to purchase a bed for you, and physical activity. The bupropion will assist you with energy and if you're up and about more (which "fortressing" or sitting around is another problem factor in PTSD and Depression), and then you don't have to worry about the horrible withdrawal from Ambien when you're off treatment.

Remember the KISS principal? How about the one that says "treat the problem not the symptom"? I took an oath to do no harm, and it should be the same one your VA doc took, although it sounds like he / she is not concerned with you as a human being. Ask for a new physician, or simply educate yourself about how to communicate with them. My best patients write questions for me and bring them in.

If you're all about prescriptions, try simplifying things with a maintenance dosage of buproprion (200-400 mg in the am) and tramadol (50mg x 4 times a day) for pain. If you have an anxiety attack, try Xanax XR 1mg, not to exceed 6mg a day. Don't crutch with the xanax, try to experience some of the panic so your body and mind learns gradually that it won't kill you and you'll eventually eliminate almost all "episodes", bar few certain triggers.

If you're seeking partial or complete alternative methods to "western medicine" then I would also recommend acupuncture, combined with TENS, seeking out a physician from the Pacific College of Eastern Medicine (I've heard good things about their programs), and Yoga. Yes, I said Yoga. No, it is not just for fags. It works.

Did you know the average appointment with the doctor him/herself averages only 6 minutes? You'll need to get the most out of that time since the VA is so stuffed that you'll only get an appointment every 6 weeks or so. Educate yourself about these topics to help open dialog with you and your doctor- PTSD, the VA's ILP (Independent Living Program) and how it can help you adapt your home and so forth, sleep therapy tactics and/or alternatives to Ambien, and finally, write your questions down for your doctor. My best patients can cover so much more with me when they keep notes with questions than the ones who just show up.

Please note: My post is for informational or educational purposes and not intended to replace the medical advice of your own physician, who has your tests, history and records. This is intended to help you open routes of alternative, more healthy treatments, and get to a resolution. By no means should you accept a first diagnosis, seek second opinions (this is not one, sorry), and specialists.

ALSO----

Do not, what-so-ever, never, never, never use medications intended for veterinary purposes! Two types of doors open to people who do that - one is hung on a wall of a prison, the other on the morgue; if you're lucky.

Dr R.A. Foster, D.O.
    Email me if you need a hand vets; I will try to help out the best I can.
    Drfoster at Medscape com

Posted - 11/19/2007 : 12:34:46 PM

• Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    ecc what are the symtoms, for herbal and natural remedies i have to know. i'll try and help
  • Options
    TheBroke1TheBroke1 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Friend And Veteran, Thank You And your counter parts for everything you have done for our people , friends & relatives of the USA You all make me Proud & humble giving what you have for me And mine I'm sure this is felt by all that see what you all are going threw and have been threw protecting our great Nation. THANK YOU and BE Proud fore we are behind you all the way.As for an old medical remedy for this that was used by Doctors for years before the pharmacutical Companys took over here is one it may soud strange BUT IT DOES WORK FOR I HAVE SEEN IT USED AND TRIED IT MYSELF so Believe. It is a pet thing that we all give our cats, CATNIP,CATNIP,CATNIP!!! Take a tea sized baggie and brew it with hot WATER & CATNIP, You may have to add a little somrething to help get this down But it Will work... Itwas used exclusivly by our doctors for years It is a stimulant to help you sleep & also with Sleep comes Less and less depression. It is not a poison of any type and if you research it you will see that our Drs. Used it for years before the Pharmacutical Company's took over. Its cheap and you can grow your own if you cannot find it in the WILDs of the USA. I hope this helps and please do not laugh this one off!!! find a journel of medicine & see what it says. It maybe the ticket!! And please pass this on to all you know For I feel it will alter what has been taking over you and Our Beloved Troops Lives. Good Luck & God Bless You ALL. Thank You FOr what you have Done For My Kids, Family and Country!!!!!!! TheBroke1 quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    How close do you live to Mexico?

I'm on the Canadian border...Northern Idaho.