In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fort Lewis WA

clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
edited December 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Has anyone ever been to FLW? I was just wondering what the outdoor life was like. I am probly going to move there from AK to see what the West Coast is like.

Comments

• Options
    crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    it is alright once you get off the base... I was a few miles north at McChord AFB. Not a bad area at all you have skiing, fishing, hunting all within a days drive, not to mention hiking and stuff. Seattle is close by as well and there is some really good seafood to be had.

Local mentality is a little different so be ready for a little culture shock.
  • Options
    58djoker58djoker Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am at Ft Lewis now and have been for 3 years.(minus 15 months for dep) I live just outside Yelm in a community called Clearwood and if your looking for something in the country with a nice view and some great fishing only a walk from your house then this is the place to be. You can also hunt just outside the community on some timber land. Most of it is walk in access but you can hunt anything from deer to cougar. I've seen elk herds in the area as well as bears. The bears were actually up on post. There is a lot to do away from here as well. You have the city life up North. There are a couple great rivers to fish if you want to try to catch some salmon or steelhead. Most lakes in the area are stocked with rainbow trout and fresh water game fish as well. For ATV riding you have to trek out to the Capitol Forest just West of Olympia or out toward Rainier at Elbe. The state is very protective of the land and for ATVers like me, it's no fun. You have to plan on making a day of it and take the BBQ. It's fun riding in the designated areas but it will take up at least a half day. You can't just take off and ride for 10 min unless you have a lot of land. Land prices up here are OUTRAGEOUS! Email any other questions.