In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Hawk Down the movie

M1A1M1A1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hey guys,

What do you think about the movie was it close to what really happened? I mean I can't imagine being there my self but what do you think. I read "in the Company of Heroes" by Micheal Durant and it sorta told about the battle, but not much.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I wasn't there so I really can't comment. My younger brother was there before the big fight and he said that the visuals were right on, it looked like the Mog.
    Also read the book "Black Hawk Down", it tells the story much clearer than the movie.
  • Options
    lady thereselady therese Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen the movie too. It was full of suspense. One of my favorite movies. I have not read the book but the movie tells it all....
    huntmq1huntmq1 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there before it all went "bad". I arrived Christmas night 1992 by means of a blacked out C-5 and we took fire at the airport while offloading. An Italian soldier litterly saved my life that night. When the fire started I just ran for any cover I could find, the soldier grabbed me by the h-harness as I ran by and pulled me into a fighting hole he and two others had dug. I couldn't fire back, no ammo yet! Anyway, I remember thinking that if you got caught with your pants down while out and about in the ville, you'd be in a bad way. Some of the streets were so tight that our vehicles had about 18 inches of clearence on each side and the buildings were anywhere from 1 story to 3 or 4 high. No where to go except straight ahead or back when the shooting started. Guns were all over the place on the streets. At the time it was like the wild west.
    Semper Fi
  • Options
    M1A1M1A1 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the information, and thank you sir for doing jobs that many won't do!
  • Options
    Glock23ExpertGlock23Expert Member Posts: 1,031 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The movie meshed very well with the book in some parts, as in Pfc. Blackburn falling out of the Blackhawk, the individual chalks' actions on the streetcorners surrounding the target building, the race against time to get to the downed choppers, Sgt. Pilla getting hit in the humvee, Cpl. Smith's getting wounded and the futile attempt to save him, and sadly, the Pakistani troops' from the UN who took all damn night to mount up and send armor to help out the Rangers and Delta.
  • Options
    OlympicArmsFanOlympicArmsFan Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Black Hawk Down is one of my all time favorite movies. I have not read the book yet and have it on my list along with about 12 other books waiting on me. I think the guy who wrote the book went back and got first hand accounts from both sides.

This movie also was used by Saddam to train his Military, it showed our faults or so he thought and he also used it to train his troops in our tactics and to later fail against us. I wounder if his last thoughts were gone in 60 seconds.
  • Options
    pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the pleasure and honor of attending an advanced tactical course in which a former member of the US Army Ranger unit portrayed in this movie was an instructor. The man was a consumate professional and knew his stuff. We had an opportunity to hear him speak of that mission and this movie. He appreciated the movie and felt it was correct in most respects of that day. I have nothing but total respect for he and the others that fought that day
  • Options
    SchnurbuschSchnurbusch Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pipe7
    I had the pleasure and honor of attending an advanced tactical course in which a former member of the US Army Ranger unit portrayed in this movie was an instructor. The man was a consumate professional and knew his stuff. We had an opportunity to hear him speak of that mission and this movie. He appreciated the movie and felt it was correct in most respects of that day. I have nothing but total respect for he and the others that fought that day

This is a great movie that tells the true story of real American heroes.
  • Options
    Shooter35Shooter35 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will tell you this,I refused to watch the movie for a couple years after it was released, due to the usual lack of reality and portrayal of military based movies and also, because there were certain memories I did not want to re-live. However, a fellow Ranger I served with, kept insisting I watch the movie and that it was depicted with great accuracy. I decided I would give the movie the benifit of the doubt and as always trust my Brothers! I will say this, I was surprised and pleased to find it depicted as accurately as it was.
    As most of my fellow Rangers will attest, The Battle of the Black Sea, will always be with us and we will always remember our 19 fallen Brothers.

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY

"De oppresso liber"
  • Options
    oldfedoldfed Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Army Primary Leadership Development Course (PLDC) at Ft. Benning with most of the E-4's who were in the battle. my roomate was Cpl Rob Phips who was shot twice. Also, Kurth did not look anything like the guy portaying him in the movie and from what I remember, does not have a caribbean accent. In my discussions with Rob about his experience there, which of course was before the movie came out, I would have to say the movie was as accurate as it could be, although I do know some things that happened in the battle were not depicted for a reason.

"Do what has to be done"
  • Options
    jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The spirit of the eternal paratrooper will ensure that they will live on in the thoughts of all paratroopers past, present, and future. I was not there, I wasnt even old enough to be in the Army then. But I am sure that the soldiers that died their, admired and and respected the Rangers that climed the cliffs on D-Day the way that all Current and future Rangers and Paratroopers admire and respect them. Me included.

But the good that has come out of that battle is incredable. Without bullet proof vests and the up armmor M1114 which were developed as a result of their battle how many more soldiers would have died in the current wars? Thankfully there is no answer to that.