In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A question for Iraq vets, Matt45, IDS, Rob, Pat?

dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
edited December 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
I am cross posting this due to its nature....
I have a Supply sergeant from a NG unit who wants to purchase a dry lube for their weapons to take with them to Iraq, what is recommended? any suggestions?
This is what they are looking at:
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/6178/nm/High_Performance_Dry_Lube
67510135.jpg
I told the SGT I would post his question here, and he could check it out.
If you think another product /brand is better, please speak up, I would rather loose the sale than sell them something that won't work.
Thanks!
Don
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.

Comments

• Options
    KiowaWarriorKiowaWarrior Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,
    I am an active duty soldier, two time deployer to OIF. The first time i went i carried an m249, i used remington's dry lube on it many times. there are benefits of that over clp or oil based lubes. but there are also disadvantages. first dry lube keeps rust away, is easy to clean, and is very durable under stress. it doesn't eat away at the weapons internals. problems, after about six to seven hundred rounds, of extreme automatic fire the graphite begins to become super heated. It then acts like excess gun powder leaving the weapon. This is very hot and can burn clothes well after a minute or two.
    We also have used this product on a m240b, in a fire fight in which we didn't have access to clp, we learned the weapon cooled down alot faster than when it had clp on it, that in my opinion makes it ideal for automatics. I also have used these similar products on my M4 and m203 fire mechanism, and they two are sufficed by this new type of lube.

Sergeant 1-68CAB, 3BCT,4ID Fort Carson Co
  • Options
    usmccjcusmccjc Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two time vet, heading again in May, use miltec, they give you the stuff for free. Used properly it is a dry lube.
  • Options
    jakeeibjakeeib Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I spent 10 months in Ramadi of last year. I had a 42 man Infantry PLT. The used both MILTEC and CLP on everything from 240's to 9mm's. We had firefights everyday! We never had a problem with either product. Its all about personal preferance. The most important thing is that your weapon is tore down and cleaned EVERY day.

Dongizmo, there is nothing wrong with that product though and sometimes the MILTEC is in short supply. You will see all the turtles with it so their weopans dont get sand on them and the bullet slingers get whatever they can.
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May sound crazy but in 91 we used toothpaste.There is glyceren in it and if applied and dried during cleaning you wipe off the powder and your good to go.but then we also went out for 4 days and stayed 21
  • Options
    jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used dry lube almost as a paint on our .50 BMG's in the 82nd, great for tripods also. Keeps rust down to make weapons maint fast during the rain, anytime that our weapons were shiped, and when they would be put into the heavy drop rig site for deployment. But we used CLP on the internats, for function and reliability.

There is a NSN for dry lube but it is in my leaders book which I gave to my replacement when I got out. The PLL section can order it.