In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

During the Gulf Wars

mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did anyone see bayonets used in combat?

Comments

• Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • mtlenwaymtlenway Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only if you consider opening a MRE package with it.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bump (It's been a year.)
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Still no, but check out this motivator:
    quote:The President of the United States
    Takes Pleasure in Presenting
    The Navy Cross
    To

Brian R. Chontosh
    First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following Citation:

For extraordinary heroism as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 25 March 2003. While leading his platoon north on Highway I toward Ad Diwaniyah, First Lieutenant Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and automatic weapons fire. With coalition tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone. He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, First Lieutenant Chontosh ordered the driver to advance directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy. He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, First Lieutenant Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack. When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, First Lieutenant Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers. When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others. By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

Oh yeah, I did have to do a LOD/Misconduct investigation on a reservist that stabbed himself in the leg with a bayonet.
  • BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didnt see anything close to that...in fact i had long since traded mine out for a Gurkha Kukri haha.
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only time I even saw one was at a memorial.
  • 11cgrunt11cgrunt Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was with HHC 2/325 A.I.R. 82nd Airborne. When we encountered a trench/bunker complex the fist 2 guys fixed cold steel. Thank God no one had to use it. I did get pretty deadly with mine opening MRE's.LOL

Matt
  • RepomanRepoman Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11cgrunt
    I was with HHC 2/325 A.I.R. 82nd Airborne. When we encountered a trench/bunker complex the fist 2 guys fixed cold steel. Thank God no one had to use it. I did get pretty deadly with mine opening MRE's.LOL
    PIR?