In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Im in need of quailty knife for

anna3650anna3650 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited September 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
A good buddy of mine has a son thats going to be deployed
do any of you know of a knife maker you would recomend
for a custom fighting knife nothing fancy i just wanted him to have
some thing that would remind him that we all love him
and mabey brag a little.

regaurds
DENNIS[;)]

Comments

• pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give him a Ka-Bar, you cant go wrong with a quality knife that has proven itself for many years. Get with Spider 7115 he can get you taken care of[;)]
  • bassassassin007bassassassin007 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume you are looking for something utilitarian as opposed to something for hand to hand combat against the enemy with another knife. If you can find one, get an EK. Make sure it was made in Virginia, not Effingham, IL or from Blackjack. Also I would recommend an AL MAR. I haven't needed to look at buying a new one lately, but if the new ones are as good as the ones from 20 years ago I would definately be happy with one. Neither of these are cheap, but they are very well made and you did say you wanted something he could brag about.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by anna3650
    A good buddy of mine has a son thats going to be deployed
    do any of you know of a knife maker you would recomend
    for a custom fighting knife nothing fancy i just wanted him to have
    some thing that would remind him that we all love him
    and mabey brag a little.

regaurds
    DENNIS[;)]

Ka-Bars are great but the best knife I have found is the seal pup knife, it is very light and handy, holds a good edge and very manuverable, great in hand to hand, but costs too much if you won't use it for hand to hand.

If you want to send a Sparta type message get him a bayonet.

If he is a Marine and won't be using it, just something to make him think of home get him a really nice Ka-Bar, if is a Marine and will be using it get him just a plain Ka-Bar. Tell him its bad luck to unsheath a knife and put it back without first drawing blood with it.
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always carried two knives. A Gerber guardian dagger because of its compact size, I always carried so much on my vest I never had room for a rambo knife like a K bar. Then for practical use a good swiss army knife, the only knife i couldnt manage to brake the blade on.

Other great gifts are

A watch with a dial, It takes years for young soldiers to figure out that you can not read a digital watch with night vision gogles.

A pair of good compact binoculars, small enough to fit in a ammo pouch for ease of use.

A high grade commpus with a clear back, again for use with night vision
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsuggs
    A watch with a dial, It takes years for young soldiers to figure out that you can not read a digital watch with night vision gogles.

We had a guy give away a $150 watch because it was "solar powered" you could only read it if you pushed the light button at night. He thought because he couldn't read it with nvgs it was a somehow miraculously solar powered. He thought he was getting a good deal trading a "messed up watch" for a cheap knife in Thailand that rusted everytime it rained. Truth is he got screwed and some Thai merchant got a pretty nice watch.
  • SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Randall 15 with me and it made me feel loved. LOL. Many offers for it but turned them all down. Had a Captain of Engineers offer me his Steiners, Danners and $300 for it. LOL. Nah, no dice.

Almost lost it though as the rules about knife 'length' kept changing; 'You could take a 5 inch blade aboard the plane but not a 6 inch, etc.'

In hindsight a good folding knife with a quality stone or ceramic stick and a VERY decently built sheath
    would be an excellent gift.
  • RyansdaddyRyansdaddy Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at Gray man knives. I have a West Nile Warrior Best freaking knife I have ever owned. I had it sent to me this last tour in Iraq. They are hand made to order so they take about 3 months to get but they are so worth it. And read the BIO on the Guy who makes them. He knows why a knife should be made like theses
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of the above mentioned blades are good, but I would suggest ALSO
    something a bit "personal". Take a look at auction # 133532402 to get an idea of what I'm talking about. There may be times when he can't/wouldn't be able to carry the bigger ones. bob
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:cheap knife in Thailand

cobra gold?
    what year(s)?
    i was there 10 years ago this month. one of my better deployments.
    beat the hell out of going to afghan!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri

cobra gold?
    what year(s)?

This particular incident happened while on float and we just went ashore in Thailand for a liberty port. I was in Thailand for cobra gold also in 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001. I loved it, you can get anything you want in Thailand and its cheap (although most is bootlegged), the women are beautiful, the beer is good, the food is outstanding, and the people are nice. If they spoke english a little better I would probably move there collect my VA disability and you'd never see my white * back in the US again.
  • benfishinbenfishin Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have him check on what is allowed. I spoke with a troop at Ft. Gordon recently and I believe the allowed length is 3". I know it doesn't make any sense, but you know the policy makers. Anyone actually know the reason for limiting the length of a combat knife?
    A good Cold Steel pocket knifr might serve him better in the long run.
  • relentlessknives.comrelentlessknives.com Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tomz34tomz34 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • ablexusablexus Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tplumeri

cobra gold?
    what year(s)?

I will be there with Cobra Gold '10.

I'll let you know if anything has changed.
  • Trapper06Trapper06 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no limit on knife size. When he travels on AMC aircraft he will be required to put large knives in his ruck. Otherwise he is good to go. I carry a Gerber, Covery Folder and a Chris Reeves, Shadow IV. It depends on where I am going and what I am doing. Since the origional post was months ago, the young man is probably already deployed. I would say it depends on his job as to what he needs.