In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ribbons/Medals

lboogy90lboogy90 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I was in Operation Iraqi Freedom attached to a Marine Corps Reserve Unit. How can I find out what ribbons/medals I received for my service. The only thing that I received before everyone returned home was a certificate of commendation. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may be able to wear the Iraq Campaign Medal.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/awards/IraqCampaignMedal.htm

I was in the Army so I don't know much about ribbons for other services, but here is a post from a site talking about the medal and Marines. Hopes this helps.

http://www.forum.militaryltd.com/tun-tavern/m11905-rules-spell-out-iraq-afghanistan-campaign-medal-eligibility.htm
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a look at manpower.usmc.mil and poked around a little bit. If you were at OIF 2003, you should rate GWOTEM (11Sep01 - 30Apr05 references: MarAdmins 129/04 & 295/04 )
    Contact your former command to find out whether you were ever awarded a CAR. If you patched up Marines under fire, they sure as shooting should have submitted you for one.
    It'll take a little while, but take a look at all the MarAdmins here: https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal/page?_pageid=278,1956763,278_2414059:278_3243533&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

You'll just have to go through and see what 3/23 was awarded. After that, I'm not entirely sure, but you'll have to send a copy of the MarAdmin to wherever your records are kept (I'm assuming you're out of the Navy now) and have them add it to your DD214.

Ok, here's maybe what you want:
    according to NAVMC 2922, you may rate a PUC for 21 MAR-23 April 2003.
    That's all I can find for that battalion.
    http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/NAVMC 2922 4 APR 08.pdf

Hope this helps. PM any further questions.
  • Options
    wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go into USMC.MIL you can look at all the ALMARS and MARADMINS. Go under NEWS then under MESSAGES this is where you can find awards authorized. It's going to take some searching, but I just had to do it. Good Luck. If you still need help, let me know.
  • Options
    hooch31Lhooch31L Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be on your DD214.
  • Options
    cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hooch31L
    Should be on your DD214.

Not always, Years ago in moving a few times lost mine-Yes, terrible mistake.
    Sent in the forms to St. Louis and took about 5 mo's to get back a DD-214.
    The one they sent had not been updated since boot camp, so had to send another form and they sent the latest one but did not have any of my Military schooling on it.
    Now I understand with computers getting service info is better.
  • Options
    RepomanRepoman Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    The one they sent had not been updated since boot camp, so had to send another form and they sent the latest one but did not have any of my Military schooling on it.
    Yeah - my 214 is missing about 100 promotion points worth of stuff [:D]

I got out in '92 and it had my AFEM for Panama, but didn't even have my SWASM - even though I ETSed from the same unit I spent nearly 8 months in the sandbox with.

It was missing 2 AAMs, 1 ARCOM, 1 GCM, my SWASM, my EIB, my JOTC certificate, my BNCOC, my 2nd tour in Korea and other stuff!

I hope computerized records help vets avoid some of the dick-dancing I had go through to set my record straight.

(OK - I was exaggerating when I implied I actually did get it all straightened out. It is STILL missing crap)
  • Options
    onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your DD214 to your congressman's office, fill out a constituant report, and the staff will take it from there. I work in a congressman's office here in Arkansas and do this all day long. No problem.
  • Options
    onepopperonepopper Member Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I missed a point here. If you lost your DD214, you can request a copy the same way, just fill out a constituant report and have the congressman's staff send it in. Also request an updated DD215 which list your awards. Why go to a congressman? The answer is it saves about 6 months wait and smooths out the flow of paperwork when a congressman's name is on the request.