In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SMAW MK153 82mm rocket launcher

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited December 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
A blast to shoot! Are they phased out yet ? I remember the 9mm spotting round that was ballistically matched to rockets trajectory. You fired a few of these 9mm tracers to hone in on the target, then pushed down the launch lever for the rocket.
What was this 9mm cartridge ? It was some rifle cartridge necked up (or down) for this bullet is all I can remember.

Comments

• Leatherneck75Leatherneck75 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    A blast to shoot! Are they phased out yet ? I remember the 9mm spotting round that was ballistically matched to rockets trajectory. You fired a few of these 9mm tracers to hone in on the target, then pushed down the launch lever for the rocket.
    What was this 9mm cartridge ? It was some rifle cartridge necked up (or down) for this bullet is all I can remember.

I was quite surprised to find this post! Yes, the MK 153 Mod O SMAW is still in service, though for not much longer. My employer, Nammo Talley, Inc., partnered with Raytheon to develop SMAW II. Operational fielding and testing should begin in 2011. Major changes include the spotting rifle being replaced with a digital fire control sysem, including a thermal imaging sight that can see through fog, dark, smoke, etc. The time for the gunner to acquire and engage the target are dramatically reduced, not to mention the exposure of the gunner while pinging away with the spotting rifle. Additionally, it will be able to use all existing ammunition, as well as a fire-from-enclosure round(FFE) that will enable the team to fire from inside a 12'x15'x7' room.

You are right about the spotting round. It is a large case, kind of like a 338, necked down to 9mm. Six rounds come in a magazine in the end cap of the SMAW round. Someone needs to make a rifle that will use alll these rounds that will soon become surplus!

One small note: SMAW is 83mm, but good memory!

Semper Fi,
    Wayne Dillon
    SgtMaj USMC (Ret.)