In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have to love the media.

"U.S. Sen. Edward J. Markey (DEMOCRAT-MASS) wants the government to study and recommend ways to stop the Internet, TV and radio from "encouraging hate crimes," but First Amendment advocates say the bill is a menace to free speech."

I have a simplistic, perhaps too simple, a view of Freedom of Speech. As an American you have a Constitutional Right to be offended by what someone says. It's your right to speak up about it. Then suck it up and live with it. It's also their right to say it. Slander or Liable being the obvious exceptions.

As far as the * HOE in CA is concerned, if he wants' to be a racist so be it. It's your choice to go to the games or not. Sign the multimillion dollar contract or not. I have not heard of anything he has done that impacted anyone adversely. I don't see where he is any more of a racist than the Rev Al Sharpton.

But for God's sake let's not turn "Freedom of Speech" into "Freedom of Speech shall not be infringed."[;)]
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Markey has no support in the Senate for his stupid idea and it is a nonstarter in the House. Just another wackedout LIB idea whos time has not come IMO.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    freedom of speech was denied a basketball franchise owner...someone wanted to get a club on the cheap...bet me...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    freedom of speech was denied a basketball franchise owner...someone wanted to get a club on the cheap...bet me...

Huh? The man shot his mouth off to his lousy girlfriend who taped it and he is paying the price for his dumbness. He has his 1st Amendment right to fight it in court....and the club ain't going to be "cheap." And Sterling stands to make a pretty penny for his wanting a "trophy" girlfriend.....while his wife stews and laughs at him. The guy might be a worth a billion but his common sense is, well, out to lunch IMO. He deserves everything he is going to get IMO.......or lose.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Sterling should stand up and say "I said what I said, and I believe what I believe. I'm sorry that it became public knowledge, but it was a private conversation and the dirtbag is the one who made it public. You can publicly run off at the mouth about how 'White men can't jump, or Whitey got no rythm, or Whitey can't dance, or Don't Whitey talk funny' and it's Oh ha ha real funny and nobody gives a damn about whether Whitey is offended or not. Well I'm not selling a damned thing. I'll let it fall apart first, force all the ball dribblers to find another job. You want $2.5 million? Line your tall, skinny, ball-bouncing a$$es up and come take it."
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Political Correctness is dividing the nation ,If you call me a S.O.B is that any different than me calling you a Negroe?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Political Correctness is dividing the nation ,If you call me a S.O.B is that any different than me calling you a Negroe?

pwillie....yes, they are different. While both are insults, one has to do with race, the other does not. Certainly you know the difference. A better analogy IMO is one that Blacks do not see.....if a black calls me a "cracker" and I call him the "N" word, both are racial insults. Sadly, most blacks don't get that IMO. Until blacks understand that they have their racists also and they should call them on it, we are not going to get far in race relations IMO. The US Constitution has it right....we should be completely color blind. It tickles me no end that when folks talk of "people of color" they forget that White is a color too! All races have their racists. Back to Markey...nothing but a LIB fool IMO who hopefully will be in the Senate minority after Nov 2014.