In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

McConnell wins Kentucky Senate primary

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in Politics
McConnell wins Kentucky Senate primary in landslide
Fends off tea party challenger after vowing to `crush' movement

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/may/20/mcconnell-wins-landslide-kentucky-primary/#ixzz32JDb7jL5
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
What's next?

Comments

• Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    Another Rhino elitist keeping his seat.
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same chit different day.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WE ARE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He will lose to the Democrat.....[;)]
  • wifetrainedwifetrained Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like it really matters anymore.
  • gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Yep, Tea Party didn't field a good candidate to beat him. Now if the the REP's can join hands and defeat his strong DEM opponent then we can be on the way to get Harry Reid out of the Senate leadership. Calling Mitch a RINO is absurd on the face of it as he is a good conservative who tries to get stuff done but with Reid in leadership, impossible to do. Rand Paul threw his support behind Mitch....is he a RINO too? Laughable. Get over this RINO crap, lets join hands, and get the DEM's out of control....isn't that the goal?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    WE ARE SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gary wray
    Yep, Tea Party didn't field a good candidate to beat him. Now if the the REP's can join hands and defeat his strong DEM opponent then we can be on the way to get Harry Reid out of the Senate leadership. Calling Mitch a RINO is absurd on the face of it as he is a good conservative who tries to get stuff done but with Reid in leadership, impossible to do. Rand Paul threw his support behind Mitch....is he a RINO too? Laughable. Get over this RINO crap, lets join hands, and get the DEM's out of control....isn't that the goal?

This would be your goal, and if most people still identified as republicans it would be theirs as well.

But Most that vote republican don't identify as republican anymore.

Since government control and spending seems to keep ticking up no matter what party is in control. It seems the lesser of two evils argument is losing more and more gas.

It never went well in politics forum because most here aren't party loyalists.
  • blogdog37blogdog37 Member Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    McConnell is a power full Senator with seniority, I don't like him, however if I lived in Kentucky it would be benefit me to vote for
    him and most likely I would not want to shoot my own foot off by voting against him.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    No. The goal is to get We the People back into control.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blogdog37
    McConnell is a power full Senator with seniority, I don't like him, however if I lived in Kentucky it would be benefit me to vote for
    him and most likely I would not want to shoot my own foot off by voting against him.

Just out of curiosity, how would re-electing a big government moderate benefit anyone in Kentucky?
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    Answer to question here-in-above

Pork Barrel, shifting Federal jobs,
    building freeway,
    [1]JBJ paved Texas,
    [2]Regan paved California,
    [3]GHB & Clinton moved air bases to Texas then Arkansas,
    [4]GHB, Clinton, GWB broke old families in Sacramento California, by closing McClelland, Mather, and Aero Jet. I no of families who went from multi millionaires to penniless in 5 years.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster

No, actually the goal is to get Harry Reid out of control so things can start to get done is this country. Smart folks in KY saw that and sent the Tea Party hack packin. Now its time to get Grimes defeated and let Mitch start to get some things done in this country.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus
    quote:Originally posted by blogdog37

Just out of curiosity, how would re-electing a big government moderate benefit anyone in Kentucky?

Don, if you think Mitch is a "moderate" then it is hopeless to try to convince you. Fortunately, folks in KY are a bit smarter to buy that line of thinking. It is time to get the DEM's out of office, starting with Harry Reid....that is what the folks in KY think IMO. Same in neighboring WV where Rockefeller quit knowing that he could not get reelected and a REP will be taking his place. I think two of the poorest states in the country are going to show the way in 2014! 'Bout time IMO[:)]
    edited November -1

No, actually the goal is to get Harry Reid out of control so things can start to get done is this country. Smart folks in KY saw that and sent the Tea Party hack packin. Now its time to get Grimes defeated and let Mitch start to get some things done in this country.
    The only time that Mitch McConnell is a "good conservative who tries to get things done" is six months before an election. The rest of the time his attention is totally centered on maintaining his personal power, reinforced through government control.

You must be awfully young, because you cannot seem to be able to look at the history of the past few decades and see that the only thing that either party is concerned with "getting done" is extending government control over every aspect of our lives.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Remember "We Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who? (In your case, probably not). Isn't it ironic that the folks that Pete Townsend was singing to back then are now running the country.

The very same people who sang this song with great enthusiasm in the 70's now work hard to squash any large scale movements criticizing the government and have successfully bought out the press or controlled it by other means.

BTW, the reason that the media pushed so hard in favor of McConnell is that he will be much easier for Alison Grimes to defeat than would Bevin.
    edited November -1
    Kentucky squirrel hunters and the smoothest white lighting aren't ready for change, sorry the ones I am acquainted with are happy being poor and feel sorry for those outsiders who want changes.
    edited November -1

The only time that Mitch McConnell is a "good conservative who tries to get things done" is six months before an election. The rest of the time his attention is totally centered on maintaining his personal power, reinforced through government control.

You must be awfully young, because you cannot seem to be able to look at the history of the past few decades and see that the only thing that either party is concerned with "getting done" is extending government control over every aspect of our lives.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss." Remember "We Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who? (In your case, probably not). Isn't it ironic that the folks that Pete Townsend was singing to back then are now running the country.

The very same people who sang this song with great enthusiasm in the 70's now work hard to squash any large scale movements criticizing the government and have successfully bought out the press or controlled it by other means.

BTW, the reason that the media pushed so hard in favor of McConnell is that he will be much easier for Alison Grimes to defeat than would Bevin.

Rocklobster...first, and sadly, I ain't young...over 70. Second, I know a bit about history as I teach it at the University level. Third, we tried it your way in 2010 and got what we got....conservatives lost five Senate seats when lousy candidates let the DEM's put very LIB senators in place that we are know stuck with. Bevin was a loser like the other Tea Party candidates and got his can handed to him. The goal is to stop fighting among ourselves and get Harry Reid and his crew out of control in the Senate....then take the White House in 2016 and get this country back on the tracks. Hopefully smart folks can rally together, keep the eye on the prize, and get some leaders back in control. I think a lot of the Tea Party folks are tired of losing and see the light...but there are a few who reside here on GBForum who just don't get it...kinda like the Occupy Movement on the left...but I hope that most "get it" and see that the only way to get back in control is to stop eating our own and get the real bums out of power.
    edited November -1
    Unbelievable. A history teacher that ignores history.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

Rocklobster...first, and sadly, I ain't young...over 70. Second, I know a bit about history as I teach it at the University level. Third, we tried it your way in 2010 and got what we got....conservatives lost five Senate seats when lousy candidates let the DEM's put very LIB senators in place that we are know stuck with. Bevin was a loser like the other Tea Party candidates and got his can handed to him. The goal is to stop fighting among ourselves and get Harry Reid and his crew out of control in the Senate....then take the White House in 2016 and get this country back on the tracks. Hopefully smart folks can rally together, keep the eye on the prize, and get some leaders back in control. I think a lot of the Tea Party folks are tired of losing and see the light...but there are a few who reside here on GBForum who just don't get it...kinda like the Occupy Movement on the left...but I hope that most "get it" and see that the only way to get back in control is to stop eating our own and get the real bums out of power.

Rocklobster...first, and sadly, I ain't young...over 70. Second, I know a bit about history as I teach it at the University level. Third, we tried it your way in 2010 and got what we got (+6 previously held by Democrats and held all 18 Republican seats)....conservatives lost five Senate seats (they lost the race but these were ALREADY held by Democrats)when lousy candidates let the DEM's put (10 of the 12 Democrat holds were incumbents) very LIB senators in place that we are know stuck with. Bevin was a loser like the other Tea Party candidates and got his can handed to him (this is exactly what primaries are for). The goal is to stop fighting among ourselves and get Harry Reid and his crew out of control in the Senate....then take the White House in 2016 and get this country back on the tracks. Hopefully smart folks can rally together, keep the eye on the prize, and get some leaders back in control. I think a lot of the Tea Party folks are tired of losing and see the light...but there are a few who reside here on GBForum who just don't get it...kinda like the Occupy Movement on the left...but I hope that most "get it" and see that the only way to get back in control is to stop eating our own and get the real bums out of power.

Spoken like a true moderate. I don't know of a single person that associates themselves with the TEA Party you could keep from voting in November. And it won't be for a Independent or third party.

I had issues with Senator Cornyn, but he won the primary. OK, GO JOHN GO!

It's the moderates that may stay home......remind them what the prize is.

If conservatives lost five Senate seats

Then MODERATES lost seven Senate seats.[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    quote:

Rocklobster...first, and sadly, I ain't young...over 70. Second, I know a bit about history as I teach it at the University level. Third, we tried it your way in 2010 and got what we got (+6 previously held by Democrats and held all 18 Republican seats)....conservatives lost five Senate seats (they lost the race but these were ALREADY held by Democrats)when lousy candidates let the DEM's put (10 of the 12 Democrat holds were incumbents) very LIB senators in place that we are know stuck with. Bevin was a loser like the other Tea Party candidates and got his can handed to him (this is exactly what primaries are for). The goal is to stop fighting among ourselves and get Harry Reid and his crew out of control in the Senate....then take the White House in 2016 and get this country back on the tracks. Hopefully smart folks can rally together, keep the eye on the prize, and get some leaders back in control. I think a lot of the Tea Party folks are tired of losing and see the light...but there are a few who reside here on GBForum who just don't get it...kinda like the Occupy Movement on the left...but I hope that most "get it" and see that the only way to get back in control is to stop eating our own and get the real bums out of power.

Spoken like a true moderate. I don't know of a single person that associates themselves with the TEA Party you could keep from voting in November. And it won't be for a Independent or third party.

And it is this backward thinking that got us what we got now! Lets get it together, keep our eye on the prize (getting the DEM's out of power), stop eating our own, and get on with getting our country on track. Get over the RINO old idea and lets get rid of those who want to make us weak and a second class country. I ain't a moderate but rather a conservative person who wants to get our country back on track and has watched time and again weak and unqualified candidate lose time and again while the LIB's just laugh at us. Don't you see it?????
    edited November -1
    quote:

Well, of course you are wrong. DE was the perfect example in 2010 where a solid REP seat was held and a weak Tea Party candidate defeated the REP incumbent and went on to lose a SOLID REP seat to a LIB DEM. Now perhaps you will call Mike Castle a RHIO but he was a good REP who worked across the isle and got blindsided by a weak and unqualified Tea Party favorite who was laughed out of the general election. So, again, you are wrong on your data....I won't go into the other five. Let's get it together, stop arguing among ourselves and get these lousy DEM's out of control.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, we need those good old REP's "reaching across the aisle" for some more gun bans, Patriot Acts, and Homeland Security boondoggles.
    edited November -1
    quote:

Well, of course you are wrong. DE was the perfect example in 2010 where a solid REP seat was held and a weak Tea Party candidate defeated the REP incumbent and went on to lose a SOLID REP seat to a LIB DEM. Now perhaps you will call Mike Castle a RHIO but he was a good REP who worked across the isle and got blindsided by a weak and unqualified Tea Party favorite who was laughed out of the general election. So, again, you are wrong on your data....I won't go into the other five. Let's get it together, stop arguing among ourselves and get these lousy DEM's out of control.

Were OT but what the heck.

2010 Delaware the incumbent Senator would have been Ted Kaufman- Democrat, he was appointed to fill Joe Biden's seat. But he retired.

What exactly made this seat a "solid REP seat"?

Senators from Delaware:
    Tom Carper (Democrat) 2001-present
    Chris * (Democrat) this seat has been held by Democrats (Joe Biden) since 1973.

GOP primary.
    Christine O'Donnell 53.1%
    Michael Castle 46.9%

The primaries are for picking a candidate for general election. They tend to be intense to say the least.

But it does seem a little odd to criticize "TEA PARTY" voters for getting out their votes when the apparent fault would be a failure of the non-TEA party, moderates to get out their voters.

I have notice, especially here locally, that the ones that speak most critically of candidates failed to participate in the candidate selection process, then criticize the choice others have made for them.

But I recall as an outsider that O'Donnell received the most criticism (after the primary) from the establishment GOP( She can't win, weak candidate, etc). Perhaps someone should have pointed out to them what the prize was.
    edited November -1
    Yeah, we need those good old REP's "reaching across the aisle" for some more gun bans, Patriot Acts, and Homeland Security boondoggles.

+100
    edited November -1
    quote:

2010 Delaware the incumbent Senator would have been Ted Kaufman- Democrat, he was appointed to fill Joe Biden's seat. But he retired.

Senators from Delaware:

GOP primary.
    Michael Castle 46.9%

The primaries are for picking a candidate for general election. They tend to be intense to say the least.

But it does seem a little odd to criticize "TEA PARTY" voters for getting out their votes when the apparent fault would be a failure of the non-TEA party, moderates to get out their voters.

I have notice, especially here locally, that the ones that speak most critically of candidates failed to participate in the candidate selection process, then criticize the choice others have made for them.

But I recall as an outsider that O'Donnell received the most criticism (after the primary) from the establishment GOP( She can't win, weak candidate, etc). Perhaps someone should have pointed out to them what the prize was.

Man, where do you get your information? Chris * defeated "the Tea Party Witch" for the seat that was a shooin for the REP Mike Castle...which had been the old Bill Roth (very REP) seat. Castle got blindsided by the lightweight and notreadyforprimetime O'Donnell who lost bigtime to NCC exec Chris *'s in the general election.....so because of the Tea Party in DE we now have TWO LIB Senators. So you understand, the prize was a clear REP seat in DE that was lost to a LIB DEM. Fortunately folks have wised up to the Tea Party and see that they have no answers and supporting them just allows the LIB's to elect their candidates....and the LIB's love it. I would agree that the DE REP Party got surprised when Mike Castle lost....but they ain't surprised anymore....and you see it in almost all states where Tea Party lightweight, notreadyforprimetime candidates have lost left and right. It is time we joined hands and keep our eye on the prize...getting the LIB's out of power and stop fighting among ourselves...if not, Hillary is going to laugh her way into the White House.
    edited November -1
    quote:

Senators from Delaware:

GOP primary.
    Michael Castle 46.9%

Man, where do you get your information? Chris * defeated "the Tea Party Witch" for the seat that was a shooin for the REP Mike Castle...which had been the old Bill Roth (very REP) seat. Castle got blindsided by the lightweight and notreadyforprimetime O'Donnell who lost bigtime to NCC exec Chris *'s in the general election.....so because of the Tea Party in DE we now have TWO LIB Senators. So you understand, the prize was a clear REP seat in DE that was lost to a LIB DEM. Fortunately folks have wised up to the Tea Party and see that they have no answers and supporting them just allows the LIB's to elect their candidates....and the LIB's love it. I would agree that the DE REP Party got surprised when Mike Castle lost....but they ain't surprised anymore....and you see it in almost all states where Tea Party lightweight, notreadyforprimetime candidates have lost left and right. It is time we joined hands and keep our eye on the prize...getting the LIB's out of power and stop fighting among ourselves...if not, Hillary is going to laugh her way into the White House.

First, what information was incorrect?

wikipedia is ONE source (used it for expediency today, but there are others). If it is wrong YOU need to let them know.

NO it was not the Bill Roth seat "Carper was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2000, beating Republican incumbent William V. Roth, Jr.." and he is still holding that position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Carper

"In 2010, Congressman Castle ran to be the Republican candidate to fill the seat of Former Senator Joe Biden, now Vice President. Castle was defeated in the Republican primary on September 14, 2010, by Christine O'Donnell, the Tea Party favorite. The primary drew 57,000 voters, a small slice of the overall electorate. After the primary, Fairleigh Dickinson University's PublicMind twice polled Delaware voters, running a hypothetical match-up between Castle and the Democratic candidate, Chris *: Castle beat * by a 21 point margin (54%-34%) and also had a favorable rating of 48% compared to O'Donnell's 34%.[14] Castle refused to support O'Donnell in the senate campaign against *.[15] * went on to defeat O'Donnell decisively in the general election."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Castle

I would not put a lot of weight on a poll taken AFTER the primary.

It is extremely rare to win an election after losing your own parties primary. It has been done but rarely.

Is Castle going to run this cycle?

Against Chris * "for the seat that was a shooin for the REP Mike Castle"

It's easy to blame the TEA party for O'Donnell's loss because they supported her.

After the primary did YOU support O'Donnell?

Did the Delaware Republican party support her?

Did the RNC support her?

If " Castle refused to support O'Donnell in the senate campaign against *", it appears he didn't care about the prize.