In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ventura Wins ?American Sniper? Defamation Case

Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Politics
This case just goes to show that younger Generations have less integrity then the older Generations. I see it in the press, I see it in public I see it on internet forums and I see it at work.

Decades ago people still told lies but they did not do it when it could be proven false and no one with a reputation would risk their reputations.

This is a blight on Chris Kyle's memory and he has no one to blame for that but himself.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/07/29/ventura_wins_american_sniper_defamation_case/

Ventura Wins `American Sniper' Defamation Case
July 29, 2014 1:30 PM
Share on email 16
View Comments
(credit: CBS)
(credit: CBS)
Related Tags: American Sniper, Chris Kyle, Defamation Lawsuit, Federal Court, Former Gov. Jesse Ventura, Jury, Navy Seals, Pat Kessler, Punch, St. Paul

GET BREAKING NEWS FIRST
Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Today's Most Popular Video
WCCO Interview: Girl Behind 'Simon Says Give'
Premeditated Murder Charges Dropped In Waseca Plot Case
4 Things To Know For 7/29
Lakeville Firefighters Shave Heads For Girl Undergoing Chemo
Polaris Debuts New Slingshot Motorcycle
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) - A jury in a St. Paul federal court decided in favor of Jesse Ventura in his defamation trial Tuesday afternoon, according to WCCO's Pat Kessler.
Ventura was awarded $1.3 million for unjust enrichment, and $500,000 in damages for defamation.
On the sixth day of deliberations, the federal jury decided that the 2012 best-selling book defamed Ventura in its description of a bar fight in California in 2006. Kyle wrote that he decked a man whom he later identified as Ventura after the man allegedly said the Navy SEALs "deserve to lose a few."
Ventura testified that Kyle fabricated the passage about punching him. Kyle said in testimony videotaped before his death last year that his story was accurate.
Legal experts had said Ventura had to clear a high legal bar to win, since as a public figure he had to prove "actual malice." According to the jury instructions, Ventura had to prove with "clear and convincing evidence" that Kyle either knew or believed what he wrote was untrue, or that he harbored serious doubts about its truth.
The jury told the judge Monday that it didn't believe it could reach a unanimous verdict, but the judge instructed them to continue. On Tuesday, attorneys for both sides agreed that the verdict did not need to be unanimous and would allow a verdict if only eight of 10 jurors agreed.
After finding in favor of Ventura, the jury was also tasked with awarding damages for any harm to his reputation, humiliation and embarrassment. Jurors had to find that Ventura suffered an economic loss as a direct result of Kyle's statements, or that Kyle used Ventura to profit unjustly.
Neither Ventura nor Chris Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, were in the courtroom for the verdict. Chris Kyle was slain at a Texas gun range last year, so his widow is executor of his estate with control over proceeds from book royalties and movie rights.
Ventura's family bought a round of pizza for the media who were gathered outside the courtroom.

Comments

• Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    If you think this is a victory for Ventura, you got another think coming IMO. He looks like a fool, suing a widow and a dead man's estate when the guy can't come back from the grave to defend himself. He didn't "win" anything but a bad rep....but I don't think Ventura cares. Pretty low to sue a widow where I come from[:(][B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pretty low to lie make up a story to make someone look bad because they disagree with someone else's political view points where I come from.

Kyle really blew it. Have you heard some of his other stories like going to New Orleans during the after math of the storm and shooting some 30 bad guys with one of his team mates? Now that this story has hit Mr. Kyle has reporters crawling up his dead *** looking into other tall tales.
  • Options
    nodognodog Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been fortunate to mature enough. In my mind speaking ill of the dead is reserved for the immature.

I also find it very troubling that money equates to winning. I don't see winning any where in this story and it also seems to me the people who are rejoicing about this are rejoicing from a stand point of hate, also not a winning situation.

The worlds going to hell in a hand basket, this just caused it to sink faster, yippy!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nodog
    I have been fortunate to mature enough. In my mind speaking ill of the dead is reserved for the immature.

I also find it very troubling that money equates to winning. I don't see winning any where in this story and it also seems to me the people who are rejoicing about this are rejoicing from a stand point of hate, also not a winning situation.

The worlds going to hell in a hand basket, this just caused it to sink faster, yippy!

Well I guess you better take up your complaint with the reporters investigating the tall tales. Excusing bad behavior by playing the death card is disingenuous.