In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Here we go again

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Politics
Here we go again. These are just the high lights as I see it. (My comments added are in RED)

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/10/09/federal-judge-blocks-texas-voter-id-law-weeks-ahead-of-november-elections/

Federal Judge Blocks Texas Voter ID Law Weeks Ahead of November Elections

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A federal judge on Thursday blocked Texas from enforcing voter ID requirements just weeks ahead of the November elections, knocking down a law that the U.S. Justice Department condemned in court as the state's latest means of suppressing minority turnout.

The Justice Department says more than 600,000 of those voters, mostly blacks and Hispanics, currently lack any eligible ID to vote.

Gonzales Ramos' ruling says the law "creates an unconstitutional burden on the right to vote, has an impermissible discriminatory effect against Hispanics and African-Americans, and was imposed with an unconstitutional discriminatory purpose." It added that the measure: "constitutes an unconstitutional poll tax."

" unconstitutional burden", " unconstitutional poll tax". Then isn't the Federal Government guilty? What about the Constitutional right of these POOR to keep and bear arms. Texas is requiring the SAME ID to vote that the Feds require to purchase a gun. Would not the FFL transfer fees be a POLL TAX? And States like Illinois be particularly guilty of discrimination by the State approval (prior) to a gun purchase? As well as Chicago.

Early voting is scheduled to begin Monday, Oct. 20.

Sherrilyn Ifill, president and director-counsel of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said, "The Court today effectively ruled that racial discrimination simply cannot spread to the ballot box."

Nineteen states have laws requiring voters to show identification at the polls. Courts across the country have knocked down challenges - including at the U.S. Supreme Court - but the Texas case attracted unusual attention from U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
The full Voting Rights Act had blocked Texas and eight other states with histories of discrimination from changing election laws without permission from the DOJ or a federal court. Holder vowed to wring whatever protections he could from the new and weakened version, and made Texas a first target.

The application of the Voter Rights Act is bogus. Democrats are no longer in charge as they were in the 50~60's where they discriminated as party policy. (Jim Crow was a Democrat)

But prevailing in court required proving intentional discrimination, and Texas maintained that opponents produced no evidence.

But opponents slammed Texas' law as far more discriminatory. College students IDs aren't accepted by poll workers, but concealed handgun licenses are. Free voting IDs offered by the state require a birth certificate that costs little as $3, but the Justice Department argued that traveling to get those documents imposes an outsize burden on poor minorities.

This is like complaining that the requirement for driving includes having a Drivers License and the poor should be allowed to use their EBT card. Student ID's do NOT have an address on them, nor indicate whether they are IN-State or OUT-OF-State students. CHL on the other hand requires a background check and birth certificate. It is EXACTLY like the drivers license with a different focus.

Texas has already conducted two smaller statewide elections under voter ID, in which no widespread issues were reported.

What is at risk for the opponents of the voter id law is the ability to generate ballots at the kitchen table, having undocumented voters and even disenfranchising there dead voters.

OK, just my rant.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there are 600,000 with out ID may I be so bold as to inquire how they get a job, a Dependent child freebies, State school freebies AKA benefits, public or private housing, Rent to own TV's and furniture, food credit cards (EBT), buy a car, auto insurance, any form of loan or even buy a house??????????????????????????

WTH are these folks living in Utopia as seen on TV????
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems to me that all taxpayer freebies that go to the welfare elite have to show ID. I can tell you where I vote in a tiny town they want your ID. Can't say where because I don't want the evil ones to descend on us. They would make a huge story out of nothing, and make me stop my private range in backyard. Also make us quit burning leaves and all other common sense activities.
    I live in the land of the free and home of the strange. And I like it that way.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All better............at least for now.

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - A federal appeals court on Tuesday reinstated Texas' tough voter ID law for the November election, which the U.S. Justice Department had condemned as the state's latest means of suppressing minority voter turnout.

https://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-reinstates-texas-voter-id-law-212302367.html