In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Poofed Thread???

WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
edited November 2014 in Politics
I guess the thread about the young lady that committed suicide because she had a brain tumor got poofed. How long did it take for it to get out of control?

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't see anything out of line before I went to bed, this morning it was gone [:0]. I guess General Discussion can't be to general anymore [:(].

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure why some folks have to take it so personal that they have to be nasty, it after all was her life.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wrangler
    I guess the thread about the young lady that committed suicide because she had a brain tumor got poofed. How long did it take for it to get out of control?

Right around the point that the joke was floated about you and I changing each other's diapers someday. Can't express an opinion that isn't in lockstep with the rest of the herd, you know.[;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Its a tough crowd, ya gotta be able to give and take without getting your feelings hurt.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GuvamintCheese
    Its a tough crowd, ya gotta be able to give and take without getting your feelings hurt.

Indeed.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good For You?

Nope, just a smiley face.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

Is getting pissed off equal to getting your feelings hurt???

[:D]
    I think its close....[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    Good For You?

Nope, just a smiley face.
    [:D]
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sxsnuf
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

No. Someone offed themselves because they couldn't take it.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Hey now, that's dangerous thinking! Don't you know that you're supposed to tow the line and follow the herd?
    [:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh.
    I guess I didnt know that individual.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I've often wondered about the "getting your feelings hurt" statement.
    If someone comes off as an * and gets lit up, it's one thing but all too often, someone can say something and things get out of hand.

We can all agree that an adult exchange of ideas can be of benefit to all if we're open minded and show what was once referred to as manners.

Some make a joke about things that don't rate some simple minded quip when others are treating a subject with respect and are just trying to be helpful.(I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying...)

If a little more respect was given where respect is due and we all acted as adults as opposed some acting like kids in a pissing contest, we might actually have more people posting with new ideas and topics of interest.

If you look at the new members and those that have been members for years, all too many fail to get involved in forum topics.
    I'm not saying there is intimidation by some here but there has to be a reason people join the forums and say little if anything.

I don't take things said here personally because no one knows me personally so things said are "in one ear and out the other" but not all feel that way.

I'm neither prude nor do-gooder but I do think respect should be given when respect is shown.

I'm curious to how many will flame me for what I've said. [8D]
    Not that it matters....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Hey now, that's dangerous thinking! Don't you know that you're supposed to tow the line and follow the herd?
    [:D][;)]
    baaaaa
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No flaming here.
    I would just say that respect is earned, not granted.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Really???

Is that really how you feel? Given the same situation, the same diagnosis...what would you do?

Waste away in agony, a burden to all those around you who love you, drag everyone else down with you. For who's benefit, yours?

Brave, very brave.

If my family feels that I am a burden to them, for any reason, that's the reason I am going to hang on.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here we go!
    BTW, what makes this woman so noteworthy.
    Is she the first to use Oryguns assisted suicide law?
    Maybe just the first to invite the TV cameras along.
    I thought this was a deeply personal, private decision.

Has her family written a book yet?
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Really???

Is that really how you feel? Given the same situation, the same diagnosis...what would you do?

Waste away in agony, a burden to all those around you who love you, drag everyone else down with you. For who's benefit, yours?

Brave, very brave.

My guess is, he has no one that would give a damn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Really???

Brave, very brave.

If my family feels that I am a burden to them, for any reason, that's the reason I am going to hang on.

If you're even remotely serious, I think you've just taken the definition of "hate" to a new plateau.

Just what sort of character does the family member that feels that another family member is a burden possess? I'd say they were a class among none.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite a number of people have used Oregon's Assisted Suicide law. Few have been as public about it as this young woman. Her reasons for her decision, and the public way she approached it were her own.

Why that circumstance causes the reaction it does on here is a question for the ages.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did I miss?
    Did somebody die?

Really???

Brave, very brave.

My guess is, he has no one that would give a damn.
    You would be wrong. Care to swing again?
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    I think it got so much attention because:

1. She announced the day she was going to die.
    2. She was young.
    3. She was pretty.

I believe all life is sacred but not everyody believes the way I do. It is a horrible way to die. She decided to avoid it.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969

2. She was young.
    3. She was pretty.

All three make it newsworthy, but the reason she came into the spotlight in the first place is because she had to move to Oregon to do it because it's illegal in her home state (California).

She was advocating changing the law in Cali and elsewhere.....and because she was young and pretty the news media picked it up.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thankfully, none of us had to make that decision and I pray none of us ever do.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Well, I'll say this, and no more. I stood by my first wife, and the mother of my then small children, as she had everything taken from her, one piece at a time, by this same disease. Stage 4 glioblastoma, malignant brain tumor. She went through numerous horrible surgeries, radiations, and other procedures. We saw one clinical trial after another fall through. They were radical, but held a hint of promise, where the traditional held none. I saw this vibrant, radiant, loving beautiful woman, reduced to the point where all she could do was breathe. I had to feed her with a turkey baster. It was no way for a proud woman to go, but she would not take the easy way, because of her children.

My children are grown, now, and there are grandkids she never got to meet.

Having seen, and livd with this all first hand, I would not die that way.

God bless this woman's family. I hold no criticism for her for what she did.

Dan
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jev1969

2. She was young.
    3. She was pretty.
    4. She didn't appear sick, but full of life
    I believe all life is sacred but not everyody believes the way I do. It is a horrible way to die. She decided to avoid it.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PETA member?[:D] That there is funny
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by miles

I've often wondered about the "getting your feelings hurt" statement.
    If someone comes off as an * and gets lit up, it's one thing but all too often, someone can say something and things get out of hand.

We can all agree that an adult exchange of ideas can be of benefit to all if we're open minded and show what was once referred to as manners.

Some make a joke about things that don't rate some simple minded quip when others are treating a subject with respect and are just trying to be helpful.(I'm not pointing fingers, I'm just saying...)

If a little more respect was given where respect is due and we all acted as adults as opposed some acting like kids in a pissing contest, we might actually have more people posting with new ideas and topics of interest.

If you look at the new members and those that have been members for years, all too many fail to get involved in forum topics.
    I'm not saying there is intimidation by some here but there has to be a reason people join the forums and say little if anything.

I don't take things said here personally because no one knows me personally so things said are "in one ear and out the other" but not all feel that way.

I'm neither prude nor do-gooder but I do think respect should be given when respect is shown.

I'm curious to how many will flame me for what I've said. [8D]
    Not that it matters....

That's how it used to be here in the beginning. We had a few deep thinkers on these boards. I didn't always agree with them, but you could engage in a civil discussion. They made you think! In comes some Yahoos that just want to complain, argue and insult. The deep thinkers left, and I can't say that I blame them.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Thankfully, none of us had to make that decision and I pray none of us ever do.

We all make that decision every day.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    For a terminal patient facing a horrific death, I see no reason for society to get in their way excessively. Some minimal proof of the situation is reasonable to require. Beyond that this sort of tough time should be up to the patient in consultation with the doctors and family. Politicians and the public should butt out and go mind their own business.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Suicide and euthanasia should be difficult and discouraged whenever possible if only to safeguard the weaker willed individuals out there. Life is precious and if equal footing is granted to both those hanging on and those who want to end it all, then we are indeed losing traction on the slipperiest slope of all. Where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    Suicide and euthanasia should be difficult and discouraged whenever possible if only to safeguard the weaker willed individuals out there. Life is precious and if equal footing is granted to both those hanging on and those who want to end it all, then we are indeed losing traction on the slipperiest slope of all. Where do you draw the line?

Right.

If someone is in an accident and loses the permanent ability to care for their own personal needs, should they have the option to decide to check out? And then, will people call them "brave" and say they admire their "courage"?

What about people who are born permanently disabled? Would we call a parent of these children "courageous" if they said they wanted to have their child euthanized?

She had less than a year to go. She had a choice and she made it. God bless her. Many, many, many more individuals have a tougher and longer row to hoe, and they have no choice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The means to end your own life is always close at hand,,,,, for ALL of us.
    Any number of drugs will do the deed.
    You dont need governments approval or societys acceptance and you certainly dont need to move to another state.
    Who are these death with dignity parrots who think you need a doctors "assistance" to commit suicide??
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The means to end your own life is always close at hand,,,,, for ALL of us.
    Any number of drugs will do the deed.
    You dont need governments approval or societys acceptance and you certainly dont need to move to another state.
    Who are these death with dignity parrots who think you need a doctors "assistance" to commit suicide??
    I would imagine that they are the ones who realize that sometimes life incapacitates you to the point where you haven't the ability to take your own life.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was clearly not the case with the woman we've all been talking about over the last week.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was clearly not the case with the woman we've all been talking about over the last week.
    Indeed. But it is my understanding that she was using her death as a platform to bring about awareness to the right to have someone kill you in her state.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Or you could just be civil and respectful in the first place.

But who am I kidding? Why would we expect civility and respect HERE?
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    I would just hope that I have more fight in me when my time comes.

Okay. I'll say it. She pusses out.

Girl was 29 and got diagnosed less than a year ago. It makes a very dramatic story. She was pretty, and articulate, which makes for great press.

Her story will be forgotten before the weekend. A human interest story at best.