In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Explain this to me please

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in Politics
Why is it presumed that Mich McConnell is automatically the Senate Majority Leader? Is this the house rules or tradition?

Anyone would be better for our nation than Mitch, can he be dumped and replaced???

Comments

• MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    31 years in the Senate maybe. I don't know either. maybe it's a internal party election of senate chamber member?

My guess is they wouldn't go against him.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If longevity is the rule they need to change the rules. But, if that were the case sheets Byrd would have had the job before he croaked.

I hope enough new blood has the gumption to rock the boat and get rid of Mitch.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Why is it presumed that Mich McConnell is automatically the Senate Majority Leader? Is this the house rules or tradition?

Anyone would be better for our nation than Mitch, can he be dumped and replaced???

McConnell is currently the minority leader. It's a position that is voted on. It's assumed he will roll straight into the majority leader position. He has no serious challengers that I am I aware of.

The senior serving Senator from the majority party is President Pro Tempore. (currently Pat Leahy, in case you were wondering)

For the record, I'm not much of a McConnell supporter, but his time as minority leader has been nothing short of masterful if you are looking at it from a purely political standpoint. No one is more effective at gumming up the wheels of government than mcconnell. And with Obama in office, that has been critical. He was so effective that Harry Reid had to change the rules to get things moving.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

McConnell is currently the minority leader. It's a position that is voted on. It's assumed he will roll straight into the majority leader position. He has no serious challengers that I am I aware of.

The senior serving Senator from the majority party is President Pro Tempore. (currently Pat Leahy, in case you were wondering)

For the record, I'm not much of a McConnell supporter, but his time as minority leader has been nothing short of masterful if you are looking at it from a purely political standpoint. No one is more effective at gumming up the wheels of government than mcconnell. And with Obama in office, that has been critical. He was so effective that Harry Reid had to change the rules to get things moving.

I suppose this is after he took the lube off for the patriot act and a host of other 4th amendment infringements?

I don't think there was much of McConnell gumming the wheels during a republican presidents tenure.

Just saying ;). There is a downside.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mossbergboogie

I suppose this is after he took the lube off for the patriot act and a host of other 4th amendment infringements?

I don't think there was much of McConnell gumming the wheels during a republican presidents tenure.

The patriot act went through in 2001....long before the McConnell was minority leader.

McConnell has been the biggest thorn in Obama's side for the duration of his presidency.

Again....I'm not singing hosannas for McConnell. I voted against him two cycles ago, and depending on the layout of the the political landscape, I may vote against him next cycle.

However, in his tenure as minority leader he has stalled, delayed, and thwarted Obama like no other.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1

Well, we may never see that downside if the GOP doesn't put a believable candidate forward for president any time in the near future. I don't see any prospects that could win unless the dems throw it to the GOP, for some reason. But they like to be in power even if they are in league with the GOP, so I don't see that happening.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
    edited November -1

The patriot act went through in 2001....long before the McConnell was minority leader.

McConnell has been the biggest thorn in Obama's side for the duration of his presidency.

Again....I'm not singing hosannas for McConnell. I voted against him two cycles ago, and depending on the layout of the the political landscape, I may vote against him next cycle.

However, in his tenure as minority leader he has stalled, delayed, and thwarted Obama like no other.

Okay so NDAA replaced the patriot act. McConnell will go along with that hook, line, and sinker.

It's time for new blood.

I see where you are coming from. We may never be free of establishment types. I just don't think it will necessarily be a good thing even though he may have helped stop certain bills.

I get what you mean. But it isn't politically convenient for him to be against anything now, and before majority leader Ried Majority leader McConnell led the Senate with the greatest Debt in history of the county.

History has a funny way of repeating. Please forgive my skepticism.
  • Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    I guess it is also presumed Speaker of the House Boehner stays in his position. Same people in power, same old routine
  • Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give the job to Rand Paul
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Waco Waltz
    Give the job to Rand Paul

It can't be Paul.

The main reason being Paul doesn't want it.....he has bigger fish to fry. He can't campaign for the Presidency if he's trying to herd his caucus in tough fights on capital hill.

The second reason is that the GOP Senators would never elect him...Paul's stance on foreign policy and criminal sentencing kills him with the old guard republicans.