In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I flumoxed a liberal on same-sex marriage today

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited April 2015 in Politics
Got into it with a friend on the whole same-sex debate and I think I have developed a new stock response.

The conversation went something like this:

Her: "Well, how can you be against two people who are in love getting married?"
Me: "I'm not against them doing whatever they want in the privacy of their own home, just that two men or two women can't get married."
Her: "Well why not, are you bigoted?"
Me: "No I just think it's wrong."
Her: "But why?"
Me: "Suppose a brother and sister not only loved each other, but were IN love. You think they should be able to get married?"
Her: "NO that's GROSS!"
Me: "Why would you stand in the way of their love?"
Her: "It's just wrong!"
Me: "Why? Because you said so?"
Her: "Well if they...ewww... had kids, they'd be messed up."
Me: "It's not about having kids, it's about love."
Her: But it's WRONG!"
Me: "BINGO. So, either you have to accept that you're forcing your beliefs on others regarding same sex marriage when they feel it's wrong, or you have to be ok with a brother and sister, mother and son, whatever getting married. It isn't about love. It's about an agenda."

At this point she stormed off. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm against happy marriage because the state has proven that it will use force to make people accept it, regardless of their personal beliefs.
  • Options
    Waco WaltzWaco Waltz Member Posts: 10,828 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put that crap to rest i see LOL
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What if 3 or more people "love" each other? Shouldn't they all be allowed to marry each other? If you are already married why shouldn't you be allowed to marry someone else & each of your spouses should also be able to marry others? After all, you are in "love".
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't care who marries whom. It is not my business and none of my concern. What others do does not diminish the value of what I have and believe. More IMPORTANTLY, it is not any business of the Federal Government to have any say in it what so ever.

If I have an objection is it based upon the changing of meaning of a word thousands of years old. In the traditional sense a marriage is between two adults, one male and one female. A union of samesex folks can not be a marriage by definition but getting the nutcases to accept any tradition is simply not going to happen.

Much like the unheard of intermixing of black troops with white, it is going to happen so you might as well get used to it.

Good Job JONK!
  • Options
    telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't they supposedly separate church and state years ago? But it seems only if its a Christian church. Then the government will butt in as often as it can!

I love my country but I hate my government!