In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Afirmative action, other color?

wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in Politics
"Are there any afirmative action laws for any other colors than black?"

This question was asked on another post.

And the answer is, Yes.

My parents, both white, studied the law and worked it to their advantage.

My Dad retired as a Civil Engineer back in the late 80's and began running his own consulting engineering firm from out of the house.

My Mom worked for him as his clerk/girl Friday.

Once the Affirmative action law took place, and after the necessary research and lawyer consulting, Dad sold the business to Mom.

He then became her employee.

As a woman (minority) owned business they were awarded engineering contracts that they may have not gotten without the Affirmative Action Laws being in place. Not that Dad needed the law, he was one of the most sought after engineers in the area.

Affirmative action required that businesses run by woman (minorities) be considered first.

Often I would tell someone of my parents "playing" the system and would get the statement "that's just wrong".

It's not wrong it's the law and my parents were smart enough to take advantage of it.

They also placed the bids from 10 to 15% higher than they normally would and still got the contracts, which the law permitted them to do.

"Playing" the Law was my Dad's why of getting back at the system.

Didn't agree with the law at first but once I found out my parents were using it to their advantage it was OK.

As times have changed since then, I don't believe anyone should be given a job or contract based on being a minority of any kind.

Comments

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    don,t mean much condeming it after you got out. sounds like you don,t want any one else to profit from the same law they used to game the system. the law was not intended to work that way and you seem to know it. eastbank.
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    were they clinton backers or Carters
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....trying to make a silk purse out of a horse's patooti...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastbank
    don,t mean much condeming it after you got out. sounds like you don,t want any one else to profit from the same law they used to game the system. the law was not intended to work that way and you seem to know it. eastbank.

Learn to comprehend what you read.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by o b juan
    were they clinton backers or Carters

No they are/were not.

They are/were conservatives who were smart enough to use the laws of this country to make a living for themselves that otherwise would have been denied them because they are white.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    what i took from your post is that they gamed the system and when you found out,it was ok with you. but now its not ok and why would you say that now? the law was inacted to help disadvantaged people get a leg up and your parents didn,t sound like they did. if you want to brag about them gaming the system,go ahead. but that whats wrong with this country, it doesn,t matter if it right or wrong, but that you can get away with it. mr. myopic.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    around here i know of a man who worked construction just long enough to get a disability ...started a business and put it in his wife's name...gets state contracts...gets disability...wheeee
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You disagree that disadvantaged groups should be given a break because times have changed, but are 100% OK with your non disadvantaged parents scamming the system?

Moral relativism is strong in this one.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no group or company should get a hiring advantage because of color, race or sex...only their record of performance should be a priority