In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in Politics
....is the first time I ever voted republican... I was mesmerized by Barry Goldwater!.....and LBJ turned out just like I thought he would....he started the decay of the American people with his Great Society....He did nothing but increase the need for Gov. assistance...so now I will vote for non party candidates like Rand Paul etc...even Hillay...if she is Independent...and no donations what so ever..[:o)]

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I forget where I saw it, but on the signing of the Great Society LBJ was quoted something like "that'll get the Neegras to vote Democratic for the next hundred years. That hundred years is up in 49 years and I suspect that most of the thinking Neegras will be changing their vote several years sooner.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    I forget where I saw it, but on the signing of the Great Society LBJ was quoted something like "that'll get the Neegras to vote Democratic for the next hundred years. That hundred years is up in 49 years and I suspect that most of the thinking Neegras will be changing their vote several years sooner.

The only problem in your above outline is that the US won't be around in 49 years at the rate we're going!
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    1964 led to the biggest mistake the Republicans have made for several years. Recently I heard some "consultant" claim that the 1964 results prove that a "real conservative" is unelectable. BBBBSSSSS.

anyone that was there knows that LBJ won the election because he promised not to get involved further in the Vietnam conflict, whereas Barry was much more hawkish, claiming that the US should take a more aggressive position (and get things over with quickly).

People wanted to believe LBJ and Barry scared them, so they voted for LBJ. It was a one issue election. Conservative fiscal and social ideologies had NOTHING to do with it.

Fast forward to present- a conservative could win- if the party can make it past the naysayers that point to 1964 for the wrong reasons.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a lot of people vote Democrat because they are afraid of the Republicans. Personally the Democrats scare me worse.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember to this day LBJ's anti Goldwater commercial....10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1....it was spooky and effective [:0]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Junkballer
    I remember to this day LBJ's anti Goldwater commercial....10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1....it was spooky and effective [:0]

Barry blew the whole thing with the bomb comments he made.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rand Paul is a Republican Party candidate....just sayin'
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    1964 led to the biggest mistake the Republicans have made for several years. Recently I heard some "consultant" claim that the 1964 results prove that a "real conservative" is unelectable. BBBBSSSSS.

anyone that was there knows that LBJ won the election because he promised not to get involved further in the Vietnam conflict, whereas Barry was much more hawkish, claiming that the US should take a more aggressive position (and get things over with quickly).

People wanted to believe LBJ and Barry scared them, so they voted for LBJ. It was a one issue election. Conservative fiscal and social ideologies had NOTHING to do with it.

Fast forward to present- a conservative could win- if the party can make it past the naysayers that point to 1964 for the wrong reasons.

The 1964 election was over the day Kennedy was killed. I firmly believe that AU H2O would have trounced him if he had lived. All the emotional things that went on then changed the dynamic.
    I remember well how many people I knew were very happy when it happened & two or three days later denied ever saying such things. I think many of them even convinced themselves of that.
    I've never changed. I hated him before & still do.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Sooooo...

You aren't going to change every week?
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roosevelt proved a man can be President for life.
    Truman proved anybody can be President.
    Eisenhower proved we don't really need a President
    and Kennedy proved we would be better off without a President.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled

Kennedy proved we would be better off without a President.
    I think Obama definitely out ranks Kennedy on this now [;)] [:(!]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i had to stand in the hot sun for that sob lbj. what a miserable pr*ick he was. mr myopic.