In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Local Dynasty Politicians Do you have them?

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Politics
** I will move this over in politics Soon**

Our Local Rep, Sam Farr (D) Announced he is not going to run in the next round for a 4th term. (previous) Leon Panetta, yes that one. Well Now his son is running for the same position. My not be a bad thing, I just don't like dynasty politics.

Comments

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe Riley has been mayor in Charleston, SC since 1975 (I was 9 at the time.....)
  • Options
    gtponygtpony Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Illinois......what do you think?????[:(]
  • Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't mind if a child follows in their father or mother's footsteps so long as they do the job well!
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Around here it takes only 1 politician in a family to steal enough to benifit several generations of their families.......I don't trust political dynasties, it's too much like family inbreeding [V]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've gone from "career politicians" to "family dynasty politicians"???
    How disgusting!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who doesn't! Why do some people call our Republic an oligarchy! I know I do. There are so many laws on the books now you have to be a lawyer to figure them all out!

Our forefathers would roll over in their graves to see what we have become! Nothing but a web of laws to keep we the people imprisoned by our complacency at the voting booth!

Freedoms and rights mean little if you can't hire lawyers,just look at the civil confiscation laws for reference!

serf

https://www.aclu.org/issues/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police-practices/asset-forfeiture-abuse

Forfeiture was originally presented as a way to * large-scale criminal enterprises by diverting their resources. But today, aided by deeply flawed federal and state laws, many police departments use forfeiture to benefit their bottom lines, making seizures motivated by profit rather than crime-fighting. For people whose property has been seized through civil asset forfeiture, legally regaining such property is notorious.

The government simply files a civil action in rem against the property itself, and then generally must prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the property is forfeitable under the applicable forfeiture statute. Civil forfeiture is independent of any criminal case, and because of this, the forfeiture action may be filed before indictment, after indictment, or even if there is no indictment. Likewise, civil forfeiture may be sought in cases in which the owner is criminally acquitted of the underlying crimes...
    -#8201;Craig Gaumer, Assistant United States Attorney, 2007[17]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Dynasty" is southern politics, we have two senators that were born in congress..
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Joe Riley has been mayor in Charleston, SC since 1975 (I was 9 at the time.....)

Bless you tender youngins' [:D] I graduated high School in 1976.... Dynasty politics, AKA the two party system is not a good thing for a Constitutional Republic, but money speaks volumes.
  • Options
    MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the great paradoxes of American political life, especially in recent times, is the large number of multi-term incumbents in various offices -- from local to national. As we have seen all too often in recent years, the "system", especially at the Congressional level (both House and Senate) isn't working. We all * and moan about the state of affairs but when the time comes to pull the lever in the voting booth, somehow the incubents seeking re-election seem to emerge victorious. The thinking seems to be, "It's that crazy woman from California or that nut from Nevada who's the problem. My guy's OK, though, so I'll send him back." In my dotage, I have come to the view that all of them are the problem. Once in Congress, incumbents are more interested in raising money and psoturing for the next election than seeing the people's business is being properly attended to. Largely, much the same goes on at local and state levels. Of late, I've been studying races at all levels and generally voting for the non-incumbent as my means of protest. Now, if I could just get more to do the same...
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MemphisJim1
    Of late, I've been studying races at all levels and generally voting for the non-incumbent as my means of protest. Now, if I could just get more to do the same...
    I studied that theory decades ago, practiced it too [:D], you'll discover like me it doesn't work [:(], it seems the only way to get someone out of office is through a money scandel, sex scandel or death.....the majority of voters don't care, sorry to say it but that is the reality [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got incumbents?
    Get a rope!