In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

You knew it couldn't last

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Politics
Written by The Associated Press
Saturday, 12 December 2015 13:51

"You knew it couldn't last - the tense detente between the rabid Donald Trump and the provocative Ted Cruz.

Yesterday the gloves in their political standoff were finally removed, with Trump unleashing a verbal assault on the one rival he has so far spared. And, as a measure of how terrified the two Republican presidential candidates are of each other, Trump's tirade was uncharacteristically tepid, while Cruz was, for once, silent.

Trump went after Ted Cruz at a town hall event in Iowa Friday evening, accusing the Texas senator of being beholden to big oil companies because he opposes ethanol subsidies, which are deeply popular in this agricultural state.

"He's a nice guy. I mean, everything I say he agrees with me, no matter what I say," Trump began. "But with the ethanol, really, he's got to come a long way."

He added: "If Ted Cruz is against ethanol, how does he win in Iowa? Because that's very anti-Iowa."

Trump also appeared to take a veiled shot at Cruz's family background, suggesting Cruz might have trouble appealing to the state's evangelical voters. "I do like Ted Cruz, but not a lot of evangelicals come out of Cuba," he said of the country where Cruz's father, an evangelical preacher, was born."

"verbal assault"?

I have been a Cruz supporter since before the 2012 Senate Primary.

I too am NOT in favor of ethanol subsidies, not because I am " anti-Iowa", If ethanol is an asset (value added) product why would it need a subsidy? Or a Government mandate?

I can appreciate the Government approach to ending our dependency on prosperity I mean OIL And especially to convert food sources to energy now that we have ended world hunger and food prices are at all time lows.

Let's not leave out a point that many, many cars get LESS MPG on ethanol gas non-ethanol gas. And since this is the only realistic way to rate performance a 5% reduction in mileage requires buy 5% more to go the same distance. This is Government economics.

"I do like Ted Cruz, but not a lot of evangelicals come out of Cuba," he said of the country where Cruz's father, an evangelical preacher, was born."

That is not an assault, it is FACT.

"veiled shot at Cruz's family background, suggesting Cruz might have trouble appealing to the state's evangelical voters"

AP dream on. There aren't many evangelical billionaires either.

"while Cruz was, for once, silent."
That is the character of the man, not an anomaly.