In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

When Presidents were Americans

mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
edited February 2016 in Politics
When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he
declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of
the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to
the American people and it's not for sale."

And that was a reference to Harry Truman upon leaving office.

The same Harry Truman that said he had a choice between becoming a piano player in a whore house or a polititian. He didn't see a lot of difference in the two.

It's said that his only asset when he died was his house which had been willed to his wife. I wonder if there is any congress criters or presedents since then who could come anywhere close to that standard of service to america without personal gain.

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mnrivrat48
    When offered corporate positions at large salaries, he
    declined, stating, "You don't want me. You want the office of
    the President, and that doesn't belong to me. It belongs to
    the American people and it's not for sale."

And that was a reference to Harry Truman upon leaving office.

The same Harry Truman that said he had a choice between becoming a piano player in a whore house or a polititian. He didn't see a lot of difference in the two.

It's said that his only asset when he died was his house which had been willed to his wife. I wonder if there is any congress criters or presedents since then who could come anywhere close to that standard of service to america without personal gain.

You overlook his connection to the Pendergast Political machine.