In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's good about a sales tax?

jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2016 in Politics
The bad thing about a property tax is most renters think it doesn't effect them. Income tax can be avoided or promises can be made by politicians that make some people think it doesn't effect them. The tax code can be rigged for certain classes.
A sales tax is the most unavoidable and even the welfare class must pay it as well as all illegals and drug sellers. It is there fore the hardest tax to increase by deception. Everybody will notice the increase in a sales tax. Hard to get people to vote for that.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    There are presently ways to avoid sales tax, but it is IMO the best means. If one wants to position the tax such that it taxes the various classes disproportionately, that is easily achieved as well via luxury taxes and elimination of tax on staples such as bread, milk, eggs, and TP. It is for that reason, also a slippery slope.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sales tax is good for new products. I have no beef with it but most states tax cars with a sales tax every time they get sold. If you buy a 50K truck you pay $3,500 in sales tax. Sell it a year later for 40K and the buyer gets soaked for another $2,800 in sales tax. He sells it five years later for 20K and guess what; yup the state hits that buyer for $1,400 in sales tax those numbers figured at 7%, most places are higher.

In the end the State collected $7,700 off of that truck being sold, it never ends.

DO we also tax sales of houses? The sales tax on a house could be tens of thousands yet the bank owns most of it for 20 years or more. You are paying tax on something you do not own. Do we tax food and medicine, kids clothes?

I am all for lowering property taxes and imposing sales ta but crafty politicians would soon have a tax code with favors built into it for buddies and donors.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all sorts of govt programs for getting your money but DAMN FEW for greatly reducing that spending
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was shocked when we moved to Kalifornia & the sales tax was 4%.
    Now where I live it is 8% & they want us to vote for raising it another 1%. The tax has actually more than doubled since many items used to be untaxed or were too cheap to tax. Where does it end?
    I would be for a Federal Value Added Tax INSTEAD of the Income Tax but how long would it be before we wound up with both?
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it will end when yur tax statement is equal to your income...and by then u will be ready for soylent green
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    I was shocked when we moved to Kalifornia & the sales tax was 4%.
    Now where I live it is 8% & they want us to vote for raising it another 1%. The tax has actually more than doubled since many items used to be untaxed or were too cheap to tax. Where does it end?
    I would be for a Federal Value Added Tax INSTEAD of the Income Tax but how long would it be before we wound up with both?

That's not a bad idea. The Country where I'm located has a sales/VAT tax of 16 percent [:(].
    There also an income tax but I've haven't found anyone that pays it. People with jobs pay for what amounts to Social Security out of their pay.

Seems fairer, spend a lot of money on expensive items, you pay a big amount in tax,, reduce your spending and pay very little.

BTW: The price shown on the item INCLUDES the tax. A few folks DID NOT KNOW they were paying 16% of the price in tax.
  • jerrywh818jerrywh818 Member Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I moved into this house in 2003 the property tax was $1750. Now it is $2975.00 the property tax is more then the principal payments on the house. In ten years it will be $4000.00 If the USA lasts that long. I'm considering Idaho. Oregon is in debt to the tune of $23,000 pr capita. They are going to try and wring that out of the people somehow. Fishing and hunting licenses have doubled and they have added a lot of fees on things like a license for a rubber boat. Now they want to charge for each person in the boat on the snake river. The national forest here has proposed the closing of many roads and announced that there would be public hearings on the matter as required. You know what the outcome will be because they already took the road closures off the maps a couple of years ago. It never ends.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Death and taxes...

Count on it.
    "What is truth?'
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the best way to force big spenders to pay their share. Also the only way to get much of anything out of a "nonresident" (such as the workers at the local pork plant-they don't "own" anything in the county)population.
    The problem is those "nonresidents" drive 40 miles (into another county) to make the majority of their purchases so taxing house rent would be a big plus in our specific instance.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    It's the best way to force big spenders to pay their share. Also the only way to get much of anything out of a "nonresident" (such as the workers at the local pork plant-they don't "own" anything in the county)population.
    The problem is those "nonresidents" drive 40 miles (into another county) to make the majority of their purchases so taxing house rent would be a big plus in our specific instance.

The Clinton's and other mega wealthy ELITE are huge spenders; they don't pay tax on 90% of what they consume. The tax code is written to benefit them.