In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Houston Texas a Drowning City Never to Recover

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Politics
The government here is seriously inept by over building in a flood plan on The Gulf Coast visited by Lingering Tropical storms. They have alienated the middle class now stuck with worthless property & homes on such a scale that their will be serious backlash on the governing elites!

Super bowls,mega hotels,grand concerts,toll roads more illegals etc... is all they ever clamored for so they could raise Taxes for their salaries and pension Plans while ignoring the elephant in the room with so call Flood control districts which is fictitious nonsense for The sheple to rely on!

The city is already 500 million in debt for pension debt .What a travesty our leadership has been here.There is no recover and they know it!

They are going to lose their Tax base and President Trump will be unable to grant enough subsidies to rebuild this city!

They the leaders here in Houston are clueless idiots that need to leave their seats of power to more capable smart planners with a sound vision of how to build communities in the this area and work for We The People!

serf

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    high class welfare
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jim_lemay
    quote:Originally posted by serf

The government here is seriously inept by over building in a flood plan on The Gulf Coast visited by Lingering Tropical storms. They have alienated the middle class now stuck with worthless property & homes on such a scale that their will be serious backlash on the governing elites!

Super bowls,mega hotels,grand concerts,toll roads more illegals etc... is all they ever clamored for so they could raise Taxes for their salaries and pension Plans while ignoring the elephant in the room with so call Flood control districts which is fictitious nonsense for The sheple to rely on!

The city is already 500 million in debt for pension debt .What a travesty our leadership has been here.There is no recover and they know it!

They are going to lose their Tax base and President Trump will be unable to grant enough subsidies to rebuild this city!

They the leaders here in Houston are clueless idiots that need to leave their seats of power to more capable smart planners with a sound vision of how to build communities in the this area and work for We The People!

serf

Harvey is just the most recent "stump floater". As I remember, the previous 1000 year storm was 1979 which resulted in the most 24 hour recorded rainfall in lower 48 states in Alvin, Texas (between Houston & Galveston) at 43+ inches. All Houston area drainage goes into Galveston Bay. Prevailing SE winds pack water into bay thereby blocking outfall of rain water which causes local flooding.

They said the Seawall water line was just lapping at the edge of the sea wall when Harvey was overland Saturday. The winds where not that high in Galveston Texas.

The rainfall inland is the main factor for flooding with inadequate drainage systems is in place for all the concrete they paved inland over the last Fifty years.

We got The 610 loop,then beltway 8 and Then then 99 Loop all growing out on a flat plain of rivers,streams,creeks and bayous so that is why I blame The politicians,landowners and developers for overbuilding the area without proper drainage.

Of course we hear new terms now like a 1000 year flood or even biblical floods but four days does not make 40 days in my opinion.

The one thing we didn't hear down here is Climate change which could be a reason for this disaster too. The Storm was locked between two High centers parked in place between Texas I am no hydrologist or Meteorologist but I can tell you The Houston Texas Area will not grow any more and Become The Jewel on The Gulf Coast. It will not recover and will shrink in investments and Tax revenues starting this year bet on it! The party is over here.No one here is going to want to live here unless they are stuck here for a job or obligations by contracts. All others will leave Asap! The Economy and The City will collapse from within from Government debt.

The State can't fix the problem down here either anytime soon unless they build a seawall from from Beaumont to Corpus Christi and build huge aqueducts channeling all the water to the Gulf from the inland. It''s not going to happen.

serf

https://www.wired.com/story/what-are-the-odds-of-a-super-storm-like-harvey

Why the change? First, the Gulf water is warmer. Second, while rainy tropical cyclones like Harvey aren?t more frequent, the high-level winds that usually push them out to sea or north to Oklahoma have stopped blowing. ?We don?t know why they have collapsed," says Emanuel, "and it?s too early to connect it to anthropogenic climate change." But the effects are clear: Emanuel says the collapse of these winds over south Texas started in 2010 and has continued?a time when Houston has been hit by numerous violent and disastrous storms that have flooded the city.

For Emanuel and others, figuring out what happened to those steering currents and why may be key to understanding future storms. He expects the winds to return to normal in a few years. The bad news is that by the end of the century, under current climate models, researchers expect more high-pressure anomalies and a greater chance of collapsed steering winds. Harvey the black swan could morph into a storm of our future.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Build a canal and send all the water to Kalifornia.[:D] Build it on the border & make it wide enough & we won't need a wall.
    I was there last year for a cruise & I remember how far it was from Bush airport to the cruise terminal. Does the flooding extend all that way?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    Build a canal and send all the water to Kalifornia.[:D] Build it on the border & make it wide enough & we won't need a wall.
    I was there last year for a cruise & I remember how far it was from Bush airport to the cruise terminal. Does the flooding extend all that way?

Yep all of Harris County in low areas which where sold to developers then to Home Builders and small businesses! The Airports and Train tracks as always are in high areas that don't flood,the government knows and they just don't care about civilian's property. The same as it ever was!

Buy Flood insurance at 300.00 a month until you die and you will be fine down here! What a joke! Over 80% of people don't have flood Insurance and can't afford it anyway! Houston is a death trap for water! Just like New Orleans! Stay away!

I want to move out but my old home was on Blocks & did not flood. I need to sell and get out of The Houston Area anyway,way too many Hispanics from Central America hanging around Lowe's and Home Depots and the city government is all blacks and Hispanics liberals giving sanction and welfare to all of them now. It's Horrible down here compared to the 1950's.

America is a third world country now. Diversity is not what they say it is unless you live in a Gated Walled neighborhood that is high and dry!

serf
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FEMA has (had) 1.8 billion left in their account for last fiscal year. That's been released for Texas.

I'd say that in the next 6 months, 80 billion more will be authorized for FEMA. 50 Billion in next 3 months and more in 2018.

Just a guess pulled out of my ***. We'll see if it's more or less.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop
    FEMA has (had) 1.8 billion left in their account for last fiscal year. That's been released for Texas.

I'd say that in the next 6 months, 80 billion more will be authorized for FEMA. 50 Billion in next 3 months and more in 2018.

Just a guess pulled out of my ***. We'll see if it's more or less.

The Public will be on the hook for billions down here and for what? To have it happen all over again after all the Pay-offs and profit taking for building a metropolitan area on a flood Plain!

And that The Federal,State,County and Municipal governments allowed it willing thinking nothing about how devastating,horrible event they were making for we the people!

The death toll keeps climbing while they fiddle in Washington D.C. with another Cat 5 storm heading for East Coast! Maybe it could hit There in Columbia and finish off our fearless leaders!

serf

https://alternativeeconomics.co/tubeline/view/mqWAwvvuS3A

August 30, 2017: Another major hurricane appears to be brewing in the Atlantic Ocean.It is predicted to become a Category 5 Major hurricane. Right now the GFS and the GEM have it going into the east coast of North America.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let's see here: you've got an area that may be subject to extreme rainfall barely above sea level with poor drainage and then you cover it with non-permeable stuff like pavement, concrete, roofs, and such. Now the water that couldn't soak in or drain off is concentrated and the run-off speeds up. What was the expectation anyway????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Let's see here: you've got an area that may be subject to extreme rainfall barely above sea level with poor drainage and then you cover it with non-permeable stuff like pavement, concrete, roofs, and such. Now the water that couldn't soak in or drain off is concentrated and the run-off speeds up. What was the expectation anyway????

Cheap real estate with good refinery jobs near the coastal plains for transportation and Railway lines coming in!~ A paradise for land speculators and developers!

But Now the sheple have woke up! HCAD Harris County Appraisal District is in for a big fight with the Taxation appraisals. I am in for a formal meeting for my Taxes this fall!

When they tell me how much my 4 lots are worth then I will say it's a flood plain and can have two feet of water rushing across it every late summer! [:o)][:o)][:o)] The surrounding Counties are going to be broke one way or another. They had fifteen feet of water in Dickinson Texas what a joke on the public there!

You see all the present investors here clamoring to rebuild and replace what they have lost. But until they can guarantee flood control here then all housing is going to be on long pier poles with a water proof elevator at the bottom of the driveway![:D]

In other words a coastal swamp bird sanctuary or revert back to a flooded rice fields! It's never going to be the same down here,too many illegal Hispanics and liberals on a sinking ship while the land speculators have left on life boats laughing all the way to the bank!

New York City may be next!

serf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    quote:Originally posted by serf

serf

Much the same was said about New Orleans ... yet it's still there and the population number is about the same as before the hurricane.

From 2013: http://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ssf/2013/08/hurricane_katrina_eight_years.html

[;)]

Sure they can rebuild for oil and gas shipping and production but automation is soon to take over a lot of that work which means just a maintenance crew staff after construction is finished. Then No need of a population center that close to the coast anymore.

And had Harvey had hit New Orleans could have the Army Corp of Engineers have saved the day? I doubt it! Wake up! Wait for the second round of Hurricane Disasters like maybe Irma? Soon to Hit maybe? Looks like The Gulf of Mexico again? 5.00 dollars for a gallon of gasoline maybe?

serf

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2017/09/04/the-national-hurricane-center-is-a-trusted-source-as-worrisome-hurricane-irma-looms/#54605b9b53d0

My meteorological "eye" sees a threat to Florida to the Carolinas (and possibly even a slight chance of moving into the Gulf of Mexico). I also see the potential for Irma maintaining category 3 or greater intensity. Tropical storm force winds could be impacting some of these regions within the next 1-5 days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They City of Houston wants billions of dollars to dam the bay like they do in Holland plus a seawall from Freeport Tx to Beaumont Tx. Good luck getting that out of The Federal Budget while we go broke funding The illegals from Central America with Food Cards and free subsidize government Housing!~

serf

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/08/this-is-probably-the-worst-us-flood-storm-ever-and-ill-never-be-the-same/

What is especially damaging about this storm is that, like Allison, its worst rains fell almost directly over the fourth largest city in the United States, over the economic engine of Texas. Allison's toll was $5 billion, and that was from a storm that produced 5 to 35 inches of rainfall over Houston and Harris County over five days. Since then about one million people have moved into the region. And Harvey dwarfed Allison by dropping 30 to 50 inches of rain over the entirety of Harris County in less time.

If Houston is to remain the prosperous, vibrant, great city that it was before Harvey, we are going to have to take a hard look at our unfettered development and willingness to let almost anyone build almost anywhere, including in floodplains. Our state officials are going to have to recognize that these events will be possible again, especially in a warmer world. I'm not holding my breath for all that to happen. And as dark as these last five days have been, that may be the biggest tragedy of all.