In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Am I in any real jeopardy here?

roybmeroybme Member Posts: 65 ✭✭
I bought a AK 47 a while back from a guy on Gunbroker.com. The gun seemed pretty much as advertised, but after I started looking into AK rebuilds in the US, I read about a little something called "compliance". "This piece don't have any of that mess".

The gun appears to be made with all Yugoslavian parts, including the magazine, stock, hand-guards, trigger group, gas piston rod-everything but the receiver (DCI).

So, what to do, what to do? Should I take the gun to the BATF and drop a dime on the vender? Should I go to the expense of replacing the necessary parts? Am I just stuck with a gun that I can never sell? Do need to worry about that midnight knock on my door from "the man?"

Anyway, Can/would someone give me some guidance in this matter? I'm getting to old to go to jail.

Roybme

Comments

• Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    I am no expert on the convoluted 20,000+ gun laws that we are supposed to consult and adhere to for each and every purchase, but with the lapse of the original "Assault Weapons Ban" I do not believe you have any kind of a problem. Consult the experts forum, and possibly General Discussion for more definitive answers. More people read in GD, and the "experts" are supposed to be experts.[:D]
  • Options
    1776-19761776-1976 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The expired ban does not change the unconstitutional law concerning the compliance parts. It is not illieagle to purchase a rifle that does not contain enough compliance parts but it is illeagle to biuld it. The most that could happen to you as the buyer is your rifle gets confiscated. If the seller does not want to pay for the cost of parts or accept a return I would suggest just buying the parts yourself. The Tapco G2 fire control group counts for 3 parts and can be found for less than $40. A U.S. made stock set includeing the pistol grip costs about $100 and will count as another 3 parts. I would pass on changing the piston since it is a little harder to do yourself. I dont know the exact parts count since not all imported parts count against the rifle only the ones batf lists count. With the U.S. made receiver you may not need everything I listed to bring the rifle in compliance.