In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A comparison.......

wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
Also posted in Politics.....

Ron Paul in the US House of Representatives, January 9, 2003

Mr. Speaker, I rise to restore the right the founding fathers saw as the guarantee of every other right by introducing the Second Amendment Protection Act. This legislation reverses the steady erosion of the right to keep and bear arms by repealing unconstitutional laws that allow power-hungry federal bureaucrats to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Specifically, my legislation repeals the five-day waiting period and the "instant" background check, which enables the federal government to compile a database of every gun owner in America. My legislation also repeals the misnamed ban on "semi-automatic" weapons, which bans entire class of firearms for no conceivable reason beside the desire of demagogic politicians to appear tough on crime. Finally, my bill amends the Gun Control Act of 1968 by deleting the "sporting purposes" test, which allows the Treasury Secretary to infringe on second amendment rights by classifying a firearm (handgun, rifle, shotgun) as a "destructive device" simply because the Secretary believes the gun to be "non-sporting."

Thomas Jefferson said "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; ...that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." Jefferson, and all of the Founders, would be horrified by the proliferation of unconstitutional legislation that prevents law-abiding Americans from exercising their right and duty to keep and bear arms. I hope my colleagues will join me in upholding the Founders' vision for a free society by cosponsoring the Second Amendment Restoration Act.

Senator Obama:

I have always believed that the Second Amendment protects the right of individuals to bear arms, but I also identify with the need for crime-ravaged communities to save their children from the violence that plagues our streets through common-sense, effective safety measures. The Supreme Court has now endorsed that view, and while it ruled that the D.C. gun ban went too far, Justice Scalia himself acknowledged that this right is not absolute and subject to reasonable regulations enacted by local communities to keep their streets safe.

As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen. We can work together to enact common-sense laws, like closing the gun show loophole and improving our background check system, so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals.

Senator Mccain:

In 1999, McCain supported banning certain assault weapons and "Saturday night specials," as well as requiring safety locks and background checks at gun shows. He co-sponsored the McCain-Lieberman Gun Show Bill of 2003, which would have closed the gun-show loophole.

"Why do we need this amendment? Some might point to tragedies such as Columbine, but as horrific as the massacre at Columbine was, where eleven young people needlessly lost their lives, that is not what drives the need to close the gun-show loophole. We need this amendment because criminals and terrorists have exploited and are exploiting this very obvious loophole in our gun safety laws.

We need this amendment because ATF [the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives] has identified gun shows as the second leading source of firearms recovered from illegal gun trafficking investigations.

We also need this amendment because my law-abiding constituents who attend gun shows in Arizona should not have to rub shoulders with the scum of the Earth who use this loophole to evade background checks."

All of this is factual. It clearly shows who favors individual liberty, and who detests it.

Based on these facts, who will you choose in November?

Comments

• Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WS,......preaching to the choir bud![:D]
    Well mostly.[:0]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    hopefully ron paul will run again in 2012. its tragis that the only person worth voting for isnt running any more
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Josh,

When you vote in November, you may cast your vote for Rep. Paul via write-in. Do it. I plan on doing the same, and it will be quite refreshing to walk out of the booth knowing this:

1) I actually voted "for" someone
    2) I voted for the best man for the job
    3) I did not compromise my stance on the Constitution by voting for a candidate who has
    4) I did not "waste" my vote on evil, be it the lesser or greater
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good and illuminating post, ws.

Any thinking American knows that the 'Gunshow Loophole' crusade is a crusade against all private sales of firearms in the country. This is necessary to create a full and complete record of who owns what. All but Paul advocate 'Common Sense' laws that conflict with the common sense of the Constitution.

All suggested laws do nothing but burden the law-abiding by giving the average politician the feel good boost of doing something.

Go ahead, folks, accept total registration. After all, you have nothing to hide....

....yet.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ron Who? IS he the guy that walks on water and can cure our ills with a wave of his mighty hand??

Sorry to make fun but hey, I guess IF you HAVE to vote just to say you did, great. Go write him in if it will make you feel better. Personally, I was sitting this one out until Palin got the nod for V.P.. The first intelligent thing McCain has done yet. She is strong, confident, a HUGE supporter of 2nd Admendment rights. Takes no crap from anybody and will fight whoever she feels is wrong regardless of the letter next to their name. I'm voting Palin more than McCain. My hope is that in 2012,(assuming the Mayans are wrong and we are still here), I really hope that she runs for President. She has my vote again if she does.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45long:

If Palin runs in 2012, and she demonstrates an understanding and respect for the Constitution, she may get my vote.

At present, she has hitched her wagon to a man who has an abysmal record regarding the Constitution; a man I cannot vote for, and certainly not a man for whom I would vote even if the actual vote was against Obama.

Sarah Palin is a raising star in the GOP. If she has the mettle, she will be around whether McCain becomes President or not. Her record is still too thin, IMO, to be voting for her through McCain this go-round.

A write-in for the U.S. Constitution will allow me to sleep nights, and who knows, enough of them may provide the impetus for a house-cleaning at the GOP.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don,

x-ring.[;)]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Yet again, I find myself tossing around the idea to vote for Obama.

I tire QUICKLY with these dolts, who now, LOVE the republican ticket.

Palin has allready demonstrated to me, she is NO better than McPain. SHE enacted "win fall profits tax" on the oil companies. Supposedly over some deal that happened BEFORE she was into governorship.

I know Ron Paul won't win. Though I would RATHER vote with a CLEAR conscience, if Mcpain wins, the train of ruin still plows ahead. People STILL won't awaken to what needs to be done. Why NOT vote the worst possible "choice", and get the show on the road?

Why not FINALLY get this done, so that I may have a chance to settle things, and NOT leave the problems to my children/grandkids?

"If there is to be trouble, let it be in MY day, so my childen may have peace."

I know full well what will happen by voting in this "messiah". I know how wrong and destructive this will be. What is right, isn't allways popular.
  • Options
    1776-19761776-1976 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ron Paul was the BEST choice we had but the majority of the sheeple have been brainwashed by the satanic liberal propaganda.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind,,, I think what your referring to with regard to Palin and "big oil" is that they were trying to get around something that they were already bound to do. She was just making them hold their end of the deal. She strongly believes that we should be drilling and become less dependent on foriegn oil. She has wanted to open her state up for a long time now.

As for Paul,,,Well I think everyone knows where I stand on Paul. He didn't get the nod. And he won't win anything. Personally, Palin offers enough hope for me to vote the ticket. I am no fan of McCain. Never have been . But I think that if we can get him elected, then Palin stands a much better chance of getting the office in 2012. Thats what I am thinking about. I know it's weak, but I can't stand the thought of Obama getting in. And if it wasn't for Palin, I would have stayed home all together. At least now I have something to vote.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 45long
    Personally, I was sitting this one out until Palin got the nod for V.P.. The first intelligent thing McCain has done yet. She is strong, confident, a HUGE supporter of 2nd Admendment rights. Takes no crap from anybody and will fight whoever she feels is wrong regardless of the letter next to their name. I'm voting Palin more than McCain.
    Sheep.
    All those who pretend to hold the constitution in regard, were just looking for an excuse to support McPain-they got it with palin. It is easy to pretend that her positions on anything actually matters.
    Was in a gun shop this week, they were all blabbing about how great they felt that palin was on the ticket-these same guys two weeks ago were bitching to high heaven about McPain, many suggesting they were going to sit ot of the election-but now that the chick is the VP candidate, McPain is getting their vote.
    I told a bunch of NRA members, who were chastising me because I was not an NRA member, that I would join the NRA IF they held strong on their position about McPain-you know, that he was a rights grabbing no good nobody, and would not endorse him for this election.
    The NRA now has an excuse for supporting McPain, his unconstitutiona gun grabbing agenda notwithstanding. Has the NRA come out and endorsed McPain yet??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:He didn't get the nod. And he won't win anything.

You ARE correct 45.

What is utterly disheartening, is MANY people scoffed at the choices we HAVE (refering to Mcpain and Obama). People JUST couldn't vote for either, because neither was worth a truck load of manure. BOTH have anti-constitutional agendas.

Now enter Palin to the picture. EVERYONE claiming to be conservative wants a piece of her. Without knowing schidt about her, THEIR vote is locked IN. Well, PALIN isn't running for POTUS, she MAY be a VP, but NOT POTUS. She is powerless, as McPain MAY be at the helm. I am not willing to BET just how long he MAY live.

I desire a return to the constitution. We won't get there voting in this election as people PREFER to loose a little liberty at a time. Things are not quite uncomfortable for the masses YET.

I propose voting FOR Obama, on the premise, they he WILL destroy the country in short order. ONLY when the people are in great discomfort, will they be WILLING to expend energy and effort to FIX things finally.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Personally, I was sitting this one out until Palin got the nod for V.P.. The first intelligent thing McCain has done yet. She is strong, confident, a HUGE supporter of 2nd Admendment rights. Takes no crap from anybody and will fight whoever she feels is wrong regardless of the letter next to their name. I'm voting Palin more than McCain.
    Sheep.
    All those who pretend to hold the constitution in regard, were just looking for an excuse to support McPain-they got it with palin. It is easy to pretend that her positions on anything actually matters.
    Was in a gun shop this week, they were all blabbing about how great they felt that palin was on the ticket-these same guys two weeks ago were bitching to high heaven about McPain, many suggesting they were going to sit ot of the election-but now that the chick is the VP candidate, McPain is getting their vote.
    I told a bunch of NRA members, who were chastising me because I was not an NRA member, that I would join the NRA IF they held strong on their position about McPain-you know, that he was a rights grabbing no good nobody, and would not endorse him for this election.
    The NRA now has an excuse for supporting McPain, his unconstitutiona gun grabbing agenda notwithstanding. Has the NRA come out and endorsed McPain yet??

I agree wholeheartedly salzo.

You know as well as I do, the NRA WILL endorse McPain/Palin.

I have ALLREADY heard how she is a LIFE member.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind:

I was going to sit it out this time. The only reason I am voting is because of Palin. What my hope is that in 2012, she will be in line for POTUS. I think she would be a GREAT pick for the top spot. And her time as VP will be great preperation. I like Palin. I like the idea that she is a strong person with a strong ethical core. She has values and is not afraid to take on anybody if she feels they are wrong. I like that.

I too am no fan of the NRA. Used to be a member. Not any more. Haven't been for several years. And I don't take what they say as fact. They abandoned California a long time ago. Not worth the effort one guy told me. I replied, Niether are you. Cancel membership.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind:

I was going to sit it out this time. The only reason I am voting is because of Palin. What my hope is that in 2012, she will be in line for POTUS. I think she would be a GREAT pick for the top spot. And her time as VP will be great preperation. I like Palin. I like the idea that she is a strong person with a strong ethical core. She has values and is not afraid to take on anybody if she feels they are wrong. I like that.

I too am no fan of the NRA. Used to be a member. Not any more. Haven't been for several years. And I don't take what they say as fact. They abandoned California a long time ago. Not worth the effort one guy told me. I replied, Niether are you. Cancel membership.

THINK about this a minute.

YOU don't like McPain right? Think of WHY you don't like him.

HE isn't really conservative is he? Doesn't follow the constitution well does he?

IF she HAS the values you speak of, and ISN'T afraid to "take people on", WTH is she doing running with McPain then? WHAT has she spoken OUT about that she doesn't agree with? And WHAT real power will she HAVE as VP?

Remeber McPain is STILL the master of the ship, unless he dies, IF he wins.
  • Options
    300rumgun300rumgun Member Posts: 437 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ws,
    Was it some kind of compromise from Ron Paul? Why did he not go after the National Firearms act of 1934 or the Federal Firearms Act 1938? I thought there was no compromise?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind,,, I'm just looking down the road. I know that she has taken members of her own party when they were wrong or showed unethical or illegal behavior. What can she do as V.P? I don't know. Maybe she can have "some" influence. Maybe not. I know that V.P's and the POTUS do have meetings and exchange ideas. For me, she is the only bright spot in this election. If she had not shown up I was voting none of the above and going for the rep's in my area for the house. And like I said, maybe McCain won't make four years. If he does, he won't go for a 2nd term and that leaves the door open for Palin. And unless something really bad happens before then, I think she stands a good chance of being the first woman President.

And, she has allways been for drilling and using our own resources. She has not fallen for the "Man Made" global warming crap as McCain has. Maybe she can change that thinking. Maybe she can push more for energy independence as VP. She might have more influence than people think. On certain issues. Like the 2nd Admendment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind,,, I'm just looking down the road. I know that she has taken members of her own party when they were wrong or showed unethical or illegal behavior. What can she do as V.P? I don't know. Maybe she can have "some" influence. Maybe not. I know that V.P's and the POTUS do have meetings and exchange ideas. For me, she is the only bright spot in this election. If she had not shown up I was voting none of the above and going for the rep's in my area for the house. And like I said, maybe McCain won't make four years. If he does, he won't go for a 2nd term and that leaves the door open for Palin. And unless something really bad happens before then, I think she stands a good chance of being the first woman President.

And, she has allways been for drilling and using our own resources. She has not fallen for the "Man Made" global warming crap as McCain has. Maybe she can change that thinking. Maybe she can push more for energy independence as VP. She might have more influence than people think. On certain issues. Like the 2nd Admendment.

Since you actually explain yourself, rather than argue like most do, I will leave myself from further comment. You seem like a nice enough guy.

I ONLY hope, that you vote with open eyes to what you are voting for. Remember, Palin ISN'T running for POTUS. We also know little about her. Time will tell IF she is as great as many are convinced.

I for one, don't trust either of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Freemind,,, Thank you. I will vote accordingly. And with caution. It will be interesting to see what comes out in te next few months on both sides. I hear that the Obama camp has sent a bunch of "researchers" and the like trying to dig dirt on Palin. Some 30 people I hear. They must really be scared of something. *L* With a 87% approval rateing they will have to really hunt for one of those 17% disgruntled. This thing is far from over. The fertilizer is really going to start flying. But I wonder if it won't be more damageing to the Obama camp than to Palin ? And as you said, it's McCain running for POTUS not Palin.