In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Manufacture ATF License?

StarpowerStarpower Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
This weeks issue of Gun Week has an article about ATF requiring a "Manufacture license" if you make any alterations to certain parts of a rifle and then sell it at a profit. WTH? Does that make all of us manufacturerererers? How long do you need to keep it in your personal arsenal before you sell it to avoid manufacture for resale? What parts are actually involved? I have two military relics (a Mosin Nagant M-44 and a Bulgarian AK) that I changed the stocks, bought a bent bolt for the Nagant, added a Russian AK style side rail for a scope mount, ground off the bayonet lug and reblued it, and installed a Monte Carlo stock (Sporterized) and replaced the trigger group on the AK because of the center fire trigger slap, added a scope to the already installed rail, and changed all the original furniture. I restored and Durabonded a 94 30-30 and ordered a ton of new parts for it, and did a bake-on dura coat for a .22 Savage. I haven't tried to sell any of these pieces yet, but someday I may. Does this make me a violator of ATF licensing?

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Who knows ?

You might just run up against the JBT that needs to make his bones..and he makes a case against you.

They are an out-of-control arm of the beast..and do pretty much what they please.

They are making regulations faster then one can keep up with..and they are designed to trip up the unsuspecting gun owner.