In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone from Nutley, NJ?

JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Gun Rights and Constitutional Law
Hi there. I real new to shooting. I live in Nutley, New Jersey (North Jersey) and took my first NRA Basic Pistol Course last Sunday.

I'm planning on dropping off my FID application off this Wednesday. I don't know how long it would take to get an approval here in Nutley. I'm wondering if there are any from Nutley who've applied for their FID and how long it took to get it. The NRA instructor in Ramsey said that Ramsey is such a pro-gun town that people have gotten them as fast as 2 weeks sometimes.
It all depends on the political views of the Police Chief regarding guns.

I'm planning on checking off pistol permits in the FID application. If everything goes well and I get my permits in hand but I don't buy a pistol in the 90 day time table how complicated is it to file an extension? What happens when the extension is up - do I have to go thru the whole application process again with references or is it a "smoother" process once you have an FID card.

I initially decided to go for an FID 'cause some relatives are hunters and they've asked me go out with them hunting, but after the pistol course I really like pistol shooting and might focus on that more.

Thanks.
Jerold

Comments

• Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Jerald,
    On behalf of the "Rogue" and all his "statesmen"[;)], welcome to the Gun Broker Forum. I hope you will become actively involved as we seek to find justice while preserving our gun rights.

Jump right in and get and let your thoughts run rampant here: its a lot of FUN[:D]!! But be sure to remove your feelings from your sleeve beforehand, or they'll get slapped off!![:(!]

Again Sir, Welcome!

quote:Originally posted by Jerold
    Hi there. I real new to shooting. I live in Nutley, New Jersey (North Jersey) and took my first NRA Basic Pistol Course last Sunday.

I'm planning on dropping off my FID application off this Wednesday. I don't know how long it would take to get an approval here in Nutley. I'm wondering if there are any from Nutley who've applied for their FID and how long it took to get it. The NRA instructor in Ramsey said that Ramsey is such a pro-gun town that people have gotten them as fast as 2 weeks sometimes.
    It all depends on the political views of the Police Chief regarding guns.

I'm planning on checking off pistol permits in the FID application. If everything goes well and I get my permits in hand but I don't buy a pistol in the 90 day time table how complicated is it to file an extension? What happens when the extension is up - do I have to go thru the whole application process again with references or is it a "smoother" process once you have an FID card.

I initially decided to go for an FID 'cause some relatives are hunters and they've asked me go out with them hunting, but after the pistol course I really like pistol shooting and might focus on that more.

Thanks.
    Jerold
  • Options
    tombiasitombiasi Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Jerold,
    I'm not from Nutley but I am a life resident of the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

The town police chief can sit on your paperwork if He/She is so inclined and the state will not hurry to run your background and forward to FBI. Your FID is supposed to take no longer than 30 days but if it does you have little recourse.

If you plan on purchasing a handgun apply for a Permit to Purchase a Handgun at the same time. The chief has a lot to with the expediency of this one.
    Good Luck,
    Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey there. Thank for the replies.

I put in and got processed about 2.5 weeks ago. The detective that does it was really nice and i'll say "positive" during the entire process. I've read some stuff before going in and I was expecting a barrage of questions like, Why do you need a gun for? etc...

I put down 2 handgun permits and he said that that was the easy part. Getting the FID finalized was the "hard part" and the pistol permits only took 2-3 days once the FID is in hand.

He said that in Nutley, it's about 6-10 weeks average for the FID.
    I used 2 people that I've known for a long time here at work as references and I'm hoping that they'll give me a heads up if/when they get contacted.
    Do you know how the references are contacted - via phone call or mailed questionaire? ...and by the local police dept or the state police? When my bro-in-law was applying to the police academy, my wife was mailed out a 14 page questionaire to fill out - but that was for a LEO job.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jerold:

I second the welcoming of you to GB.

The more I here of what some have to go through to purchase a firearm in some states, the more I realize how far we have strayed from the intent of the founders of this great country.

I can still go to a show or a private party and legally purchase any legal firearm absent paperwork or even showing an ID. Obviously purchase from an FFL holder requires paperwork, but it does not require anything other than Form 4473 for long guns and a state version for handguns. Though I may have issues with the restrictions that define legal firearms, I cannot imagine having to petition a government entity for permission prior to make a purchase.

We must understand that the Heller decision vindicated the hoops through which you are forced to jump, and has by extension folded them into our new and improved Constitution.

It is my firm belief that this distortion of original intent will eventually be corrected. Until that day, you have my sympathy.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop buying all the bull. It will be what it will be. I believe that the law is that an NJFID must issue in 30 days or it is presumptively granted. Ask a lawyer friend. After all, here in the Garden State you cannot throw a rock without hitting an attorney. Talk to Manny down at the Bullet Hole just down the road in Belleville. He is a good man. Jersey is Jersey. We are losing our population in leaps and bounds. Even this Jersey boy may retire somewhere else. Be patient. Stay away from the kvetchers. Shoot and shoot ofter. Your first gun is a .22 Model 41 S&W. reindeer
  • Options
    solidwitnesssolidwitness Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gone through this process multiple times in New Jersey. True the process takes only 30 days once in process but depending on the work load and priorities of your jurisdiction the process may take longer. A word of advice when applying for an FID.
    Make sure all your information is absolutely correct requiring no interpretation for the PD.
    Make sure your references are exactly as required by the FID process. Any missing or inaccurate information will delay your application from process completion. Also make sure your references are proactive and honest. It helps if those you request as references reply in a timely fashion with accurate information. Choose your references carefully.

Finally do allow 30-90 days for processing as the process is not as clean as you may think. True the state of New Jersey requires a 30 day response to your application BUT this is only after all the information has been submitted and collected correctly. Do not expect the state to go chasing after you to alert you to any issues that may hold up you application from being processed. No PD has the time to chase you around due to sloppy paperwork or tardy references. Once you get your FID, remember gun ownership is a serious responsibility. A lot can go wrong when you own a gun and you are responsible from that point on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey all. Good News. I finally got my FID. It took exactly 7.5 weeks + my 2 pistol permits. The detective indicated between 6-10 weeks, so he was right on with the time.

I asked about how a permit extension works and he mentioned that it would be easier to void out the existing permit after the 90 day time limit and just put in another application for another permit 'cause it has to go in front of the chief for a sign off and a reason for the extension and a new permit application only takes a day or two to get done. Kinda wierd since a new application also has to go in front of the chief for a signature...

Anyway, now I gotta find and make the visits to gun shops to see what's available in my area. I know of the Bullet Hole, Ramsey Outdoor and another one on Rte 22 West (can't remember the name).

Did a lot of research while waiting and I'm thinking Glock 19 for the first permit. Then getting a .22 conversion kit for it. That way my wife can use it at the range as well.
    Front runner's for the other permit is a SIG - P229 or P226. Don't know about the caliber. I guess I have 90 days to decide since getting an extension or a new permit seems a hassle. Maybe the .40cal since there are barrel conversion kits available to change out to smaller calibers.

If anyone knows of any other shops that are good, please let me know.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW, it still amazes me, what hoops some municipalities can get away with making you jump through, just to exercise your constitutional right to keep and bear arms. But that is not the point of "this" post.

First, this is NOT a Glock bashing post. I know of a lot of people that own and shoot them WELL.

But, since you mention that you might be getting a Glock, and now that you can actually "touch" one in a gun store, you may want to make sure that it works for you. What I'm referring to, is, does it have a "natural point of aim" for YOU. The grip on a Glock has a different cant to it, unlike most other handguns.

To see if it works for you, pick out a target (anything on the wall of the gun store) close your eyes and turn your head away from the target. Now point the gun at the target you picked out. Now, turn your head back to that target and open your eyes. If it is aimed "right at" that target, you are good to go. If you have to adjust "AT ALL" then it does NOT have a natural point of aim "for you"

Try this with several handguns. You will see the difference. The only other objection I have with Glocks, is that thingy in the trigger. If they made it to "conform" to the trigger when depressed (like the XD's do) I would not have a problem with it. But since it sticks out, it makes my finger sore, after shooting a few mags through it. (Yes, you can get "used" to it, I choose NOT to have to.....get used to it.)

Like I said, this is NOT a Glock bashing post. Just giving you a heads up on why they don't work for me. I have nothing against polymer handguns, I shoot an H&K, the "premier" polymer handgun. [:D]

There are other handguns that you can get a 22 conversion kit for, other than Glocks, if you do find that a Glock doesn't work for you.

When not shooting the H&K, my other pick is the SIG. I think you made a good choice there. [;)]

And.....welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Pickenup's post,......check out the Glock thoroughly.
    I had the same issue with them concerning natural POA.

I have the XD, which is a natural pointer for me.
    Also SIG is a great choice, and I have a couple of them.
    I like the HK's,.....I just don't have one,.......YET![:D]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tip about the natural POA.

It's funny that you mentioned that I can actually touch one at the shop. At one point during the waiting period, I stopped by a shop. I told the guy that my FID application is being processed at the moment and if it was possible for him to show me something. I would've been fine if he only showed me different types and not actually hand one over to me.

His reply was a bit offputting. He stuck his nose up (literally) and pointed to a sign on the counter saying that you need a valid FID to hold one. Fair enough - I didn't see the sign, but he had to add that "we can't just be handing a gun over to just anyone"...
    I actually felt like I did something terribly wrong by asking to see something. I look younger than I am (37 years old), but I don't look like a dirtbag criminal. Maybe he thought I was some college kid getting some thrills.

Anyway, that's all over and I'm legit to touch...and touch I will.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That being said (natural POA), is it common to not like a certain model of gun even if the POA works for me?

When I took an NRA pistol class, the instructor said that there is no try first for pistols, so you can do all the research, handle it in the shop and then take it home. Then you find out that you don't like it when you get to the range. You either get used to it or you sell it as used and the price goes way down even if it's a day old.

Now I'm wondering if I should go for a SIG first...??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That being said (natural POA), is it common to not like a certain model of gun even if the POA works for me?

When I took an NRA pistol class, the instructor said that there is no try first for pistols, so you can do all the research, handle it in the shop and then take it home. Then you find out that you don't like it when you get to the range. You either get used to it or you sell it as used and the price goes way down even if it's a day old.

Now I'm wondering if I should go for a SIG first...??

Are there any ranges around you where you could possibly shoot a "rental" per se?
    Some ranges do that,......some don't.

Other than that, if you buy a high quality firearm, you will like it, as long as it has a natural POA for you, and the grip fits your hand correctly, and comfortably.

Also be sure you like the trigger pull of your choice.
    Everybody has different size hands, and length of their fingers.
    All of that comes into play.

Good luck,.....and welcome to GB!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked into places that do rentals and they are all member only clubs. There is one just over the border in PA. That might be worth a trip. I think you pay for the rental and a fee for number of bullets you use up.

My bro and sis-in-law are LEO's in MD. maybe I'll see if I can try out one of their issue Glock .40's. Not sure if it's unlawful for him to let a non-LEO fire his pistol - in case of any accidents while using it. Don't wanna put them in a bad spot with that.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jerold,......what are you buying the handguns for?
    Do you intend on getting into competitive target disciplines, self-defense, or just burning lead at the range?

Your choice should be dictated by the ultimate goal.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW I thought Illinois anti-constitutional gun restrictions/laws were bad.(they are)but once I have my FOID(Firearms Owners Identification)card I don't need additional permits to purchase handguns/long guns. Just the standard(anti-constitutional)NICS check.[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to get proficient enough to enter some competitions - not to win, but so I'm practicing safe usage and not looking like an idiot. Plus from what I've read, you can learn a lot during these comptetion venues. So I guess that would also qualify as burning lead at the range. Not too interested in home self defense - I'll call 911 for that. most crimes around me are domestic related and not a lot of gun point robberies and such.

My other bro-in-law is a big hunter and got me thinking about getting the FID. i went out hunting with him and his friends and since I didn't have a rifle, I ended up as the mule carrying all the extra baggage and coffee cups. Though, I'm not really into killing for food. I've got shoprite for that.

The NRA instructor I had competes in the Glock sponsored competitions. He said that I might want to look into that, so I'm assuming Glock's are required to enter.

I like the fact that there are mechanics/techniques to shooting that need to be practiced to become skillful and competing would be a natural progression from just range shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hunter Mag

The guy that was in the class with me was a private small airplane pilot and a pistol was required for him to have on his plane. It took him 5 months to get his FID...and he had a good legitimate reason for applying since it related to his profession.

It depends on the town you live in. Ramsey, NJ have given the FID in as short as 2 weeks, I've been told.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalogProductDetails.aspx?categoryid=38&productid=143

I own one of these,......they are not cheap by any means.
    It would take you from learning, all the way to comp if you wish.

BTW, I hope you don't get to learn that 911 will not protect you.
    Do some research on your own. Police departments have declared plainly that they have no "legal responsibility" for the implied safety of any citizen.

They WILL come and put a tag on your big toe though.

Crimes happen in the best of neighborhoods BTW.
    Just something to think about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just not confident enough in my abilities currently to consider using a handgun for home defense.

I'm sure there are enough classes available on that that I can take at some point.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's a nice P226. $2G - WOW!

Do you shoot 9mm or .40?
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it common to not like a certain model of gun

Not sure how "common" it is, but it can happen. The wife and I, researched, went to gun shops, and put every available handgun in her hand that we could find. After more than a year of searching, we settled on a Walther P-99 in .40 caliber. She could easily handle the 226 in 9mm, but didn't care for the 220 in .45. Recoil was a little more than she was comfortable with on the 45, and the grips were too large with either one.

So we figured something in the middle would work....the .40 caliber. It had all the features she wanted, including the mag release "in" the trigger guard. (which I REALLY like, and so does she) It included the interchangeable grips, the smaller of which, fit her just right. Once out on the range, she found that the recoil from the .40 was a bit more than she was comfortable with. Now the Walther is up for sale, and we are looking for something else.

I'd like to get proficient enough to enter some competitions - not to win, but so I'm practicing safe usage and not looking like an idiot. Plus from what I've read, you can learn a lot during these comptetion venues.

Not much helps hone your abilities, like some friendly competition. Wish I had found it 20-30 years ago. Plus it gets you out shooting. Something a lot of people put off for WAY too long.

Not too interested in home self defense - I'll call 911 for that.

Not going to touch that one. [}:)]

The NRA instructor I had competes in the Glock sponsored competitions. He said that I might want to look into that, so I'm assuming Glock's are required to enter.

Glock sponsors Glock matches, and yes, a Glock is required. I have been offered the "loan" of a Glock, by a few different people, to shoot the match with. There is also IDPA, and IPSC, etc. You might want to look into other competitions. Your local gun club (if there are any near you) might have non-sponsored competitions that you could shoot in. Clubs around here do. Ask around.

I like the fact that there are mechanics/techniques to shooting that need to be practiced to become skillful and competing would be a natural progression from just range shooting.

While there is nothing wrong with range shooting, it helps with your skills too. It "can" get BORING, while "most" competitions are never the same twice, teaching you things you would NOT even think of at the range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's a nice P226. $2G - WOW!

Do you shoot 9mm or .40?

You can get them for about $1,540.00,.....2K is MSRP.

Mine is a 9mm,......bought it before they had the .40 S&W available.
    It is the only 9mm that I own now.

They are ready for comp out of the box.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Not too interested in home self defense - I'll call 911 for that.

Not going to touch that one.

I guess that reads kinda wrong...
    Since I'm real new to this, Intruder + Adrenaline + Fear + screaming wife + untrained me with a Gun could end up with errant bullets poking holes in unsuspecting neighbors when missed shot go thru walls.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Interesting summation, Jerold. Maybe correct. Get your tail to the range or the sand pit or whatever. How old are you? That's how many years you are behind! Get busy, get caught up. And your wife too!
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    quote:It took him 5 months to get his FID...and he had a good legitimate reason for applying since it related to his profession.

...and he had a good legitimate reason for applying since it related to his profession he is an American.

There, fixed it[:D]