In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Legal to own deactivated Machine guns In CA?

hemicharger68hemicharger68 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
is it legal to own deactivated machine guns and machine gun part sets in the state of california? It would be nice to own a deactivated thompson[:)] Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would probably be cheaper to just buy a replica or one of the $300 Airsoft versions that are exact copies. A deactivated machine gun still has to be registered and not every state allows them--I would bet CA is not one of them as machine guns are legal to own there, about the only people who get permits for them are the folks in the movie industry. here is a link for more info.

http://rpmguns.com/_wsn/page4.html
  • hemicharger68hemicharger68 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    not a dewat, im talking about deactivated to the receiver is cut three to four times. I just wanted to know if machine gun part sets and machine gun dummy guns are legal in california. And for air soft there is no history behind that, you know what i mean? To me its all about the history, airsoft is new, a 1928a1 Thompson was made in the thirties or forties, and perhaps some were carried by our GI's fighting in the pacific and europe. Thats why every time i buy an antique gun i want it to be somewhat abused so the person who owned it before me and before that can recognize it as theres.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hemicharger68
    is it legal to own deactivated machine guns and machine gun part sets in the state of california?

Disclaimer, the legal advice here is worth exactly what you paid for it.

That being said, from the California law quoted below, it does NOT look like you can have what you asked about. I can find no reference to "deactivated" machine guns. It does specifically state in the law, that you can not even have "parts" for one.

My suggestion would be to write to the California Department of Justice, Attorney Generals Office, with your inquiry. I have done that with several agencies, and although it may take a while, I always get a reply. Favorable or not.

If someone says that you CAN have one, get it in writing, INCLUDING a name. DOCUMENT IT. Good luck.
    quote:10 California Firearms Laws 2006
    Machineguns
    It is unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, possess, or knowingly transport any machinegun. (Penal Code ? 12220.) The term machinegun means any weapon that shoots or is designed to shoot more than one shot automatically (without manual reloading) by a single function of the trigger. The term also includes any frame or receiver of a machinegun and any part or combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting an otherwise legal weapon into a machinegun. The term also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hemicharger68
    not a dewat, im talking about deactivated to the receiver is cut three to four times. I just wanted to know if machine gun part sets and machine gun dummy guns are legal in california. And for air soft there is no history behind that, you know what i mean? To me its all about the history, airsoft is new, a 1928a1 Thompson was made in the thirties or forties, and perhaps some were carried by our GI's fighting in the pacific and europe. Thats why every time i buy an antique gun i want it to be somewhat abused so the person who owned it before me and before that can recognize it as theres.

well you can do what I did--move out of CA and you can get one[:D]
    edited November -1
    god that would be nice [:D]
  • NoonandaNoonanda Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you talking about parts kits like an AK parts kit for example? if this is the case then YES you can.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Noonanda
    are you talking about parts kits like an AK parts kit for example? if this is the case then YES you can.
    NOT questioning you Noonanda, but would you please quote the "LAW" that permits this, so that I can reference it in the future.
    Please include title, article, number, etc.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    yes Exactly! that was what im talking about, that makes me really happy, ive seen part sets around, but i have always been a little scared about getting onequote:Originally posted by Noonanda