In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Amica insurance doesnt want you.

match308match308 Member Posts: 9
I have been w/ State Farm since '91 and realized that I am paying too much for their service. I did the research and decided to give a few companies, that rated well, a shot at my money. I called Amica insurance today for a quote on auto/home. After telling the interviewer the obvious answer to the "do you have any firearms" question, he asked if any of them were "military type". I toyed with him a little on this as to the definition of what military type was. He point blank asked if I had any AR-15s wich he stated "the AR stands for assault rifle". I said I owned three ARs but the AR stands for Armalite Rifle. Anyway, he said that there would be a delay due to underwritting needing to sign off on me. He also stated that Amica believes that home owners that plan to use a firearm to defend themselves when a BG breaks into their home cause the company to be at risk from litigation from the scumb bag's surviving family. I then remarked that it would be handy if the perp actually killed all the insured family, and got away with it so that there would be noone to sue the company. I am so pissed at their sentiment that I've decided to leave my coverages alone and just pay a little more.
Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pathetic they think some $$$ is worth more than ones life.
    Ask him how he would defend his family if a BG broke into his home.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    just more sentiment of big brother will defend you. your not actually surprised are you? guns are evil vile things that should be left to military and police professionals. when guns are outlawed we will be a mutch safer country. [xx(]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info match. I'm at State farm. Priced new ins. a few years ago, and nobody could touch my rates. Everywhere I went, agents said, you better stay where you are. Go figure.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    same here jp..but this is a fact brother..after being with State Farm over 27 yrs..they dont want you either..why?..because the law of averages is going to catch up with you according to them,.and very soon you will be filing a big claim with them,..I ask about better rates at state farm for us..never had a home owners claim ever..and my agents reply..well Mr. Loko we aren't going to buy you here at SF..I wanted to punch the guy out..but I couldn't afford it..[xx(]..Loko
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not disputing the OP's claim, but I had Amica insurance for years, and still have it on my vehicles.

I was never asked about firearms of any type.

Also that seems bizarre, as they are based out of Tampa, and should be aware of our castle doctrine laws in Florida.
    If you shoot someone in your home, business, or entering your vehicle, you are free and clear of any court action/liability from the "victims" family.

Bummer, cause they are a highly respected company, with decent rates that don't jump around every renewal.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you qualify, try USAA. Best rates, great service and, believe me, they do not trouble you about guns....
  • Options
    BoskettiBosketti Member Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a trial thing where the insurance company picks an area and starts trying to enforce gun free homes. If they can get it to work there they will expand it, if not they abandon it. I have nothing to back that up but have seen stranger things happen.
  • Options
    slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have had Pekin through a local broker for years. Cheaper than State Farm. Got a comparitive bid from them again a year or so again and they could not compete. No gun questions either. Great service.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no reason that an insurance company should deny insurance based on whether a person has a firearm or not, that is stupid, an automobile carries more liability than a gun and far less restrictions and is advertised every 5 minutes.
    That is too bad concerning Amica as they are considered a well rated insurance company, but not anymore to me.
    Be sure to check the backgrounds of these insurance companies before you decide, such as complaints, financial stability, customer service, etc, there are several places to go to check on complaints even googling will generally produce some legitimate ratings. AllState, Farmers, Hartford and StateFarm have some of the worst ratings by far in the insurance industry and while the Hartford and some other poor performers have some of the lowest rates they also have some of the highest numbers of complaints and denied claims.
    These insurance companies didnt become rich on all of the claims that they awarded and again AllState, Farmers, Hartford and StateFarm are notorious for trying to deny you your claim and if you are with them and nothing bad has happened yet, either it will or you have just been lucky.
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    There is no reason that an insurance company should deny insurance based on whether a person has a firearm or not, that is stupid, an automobile carries more liability than a gun and far less restrictions and is advertised every 5 minutes.
    That is too bad concerning Amica as they are considered a well rated insurance company, but not anymore to me.
    Be sure to check the backgrounds of these insurance companies before you decide, such as complaints, financial stability, customer service, etc, there are several places to go to check on complaints even googling will generally produce some legitimate ratings. AllState, Farmers, Hartford and StateFarm have some of the worst ratings by far in the insurance industry and while the Hartford and some other poor performers have some of the lowest rates they also have some of the highest numbers of complaints and denied claims.
    These insurance companies didnt become rich on all of the claims that they awarded and again AllState, Farmers, Hartford and StateFarm are notorious for trying to deny you your claim and if you are with them and nothing bad has happened yet, either it will or you have just been lucky.

A friend of mine had the misfortune to shoot a burglar several years back.
    He did not kill him but shot him 6 times.
    Burglar sues for unreasonable force.
    Lawyer said there was a good chance the POS would win.
    Only saving grace was the idiot burglarized another house before it went to court .
    2nd homeowner was a better shot .
    I believe stuff like this drives the bean counters at the ins. cos.
    crazy .
    More and more will ask questions about guns as time progresses .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to our backwards and very pro liberal society, our so called justice system should not be referred to as a justice system at all, but a circus of idiotic monkeys that don't even understand our beloved Constitution let alone jurisprudence.
    I presume that this incident didn't happen in a Castle Doctrine state then?
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut
    Thanks to our backwards and very pro liberal society, our so called justice system should not be referred to as a justice system at all, but a circus of idiotic monkeys that don't even understand our beloved Constitution let alone jurisprudence.
    I presume that this incident didn't happen in a Castle Doctrine state then?

Not at that time .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This guy gets shot 6 times and then later burglarizes another house, now that's brilliant, at least the other homeowner took care of it, we don't need that kind of thing pillaging our neighborhoods, if this guy was that brazen who knows what else he did or what else he was going to do.
    Thank the Lord for the Castle Doctrine, hopefully it will pass everywhere including our communist states.