In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

USPS rules

misstmisst Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
what do you guys think of the USPS regs that say to ship a handgun to another ffl, you have to fill out form 1508 and give them copies of both ffl's involved in the transaction? Seems a way for the Gov to track guns, as bad as CA.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Of course. That is the spirit of Capitalism;

Big business and Big Government in bed together against the common enemy..the people.
  • Options
    fireballv82003fireballv82003 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nothing in the domestic mail manual says anything about it. READ DMM 601-11, outlines the whole reg. It says NOTHING about what you say, While the postmaster can say it may not be mailed, there is an appeal process, at the top of the "mailability" section...Read up, post what you find out, I think the local gov employees are yanking your chain, they can, as all gov employees and entities now are accepted "gods"
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fireballv82003
    nothing in the domestic mail manual says anything about it. READ DMM 601-11, outlines the whole reg. It says NOTHING about what you say, While the postmaster can say it may not be mailed, there is an appeal process, at the top of the "mailability" section...Read up, post what you find out, I think the local gov employees are yanking your chain, they can, as all gov employees and entities now are accepted "gods"
    Right. According to both BATFE and USPS regulations, handguns are mailable between 01FFL holders, period.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there are some exceptions to the rule. For example, I think that,(not positive. might have changed), if you have a malfunctioning firearm you may mail it back to the manufacture and they can and will return it directly to you without going through an FFL. I say this because I had a Colt 1885 Cowboy (?) that became jamed and I had to send it back to Colt for repair. The cylnder had lock up tight as a drum. Colt repaired it and shipped it back to me.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You, as a private citizen can not use form 1508.
    Only manufacturers or dealers of firearms can use it.
    At the top of the form, it states this.
    quote:This form can only be used by manufacturers or dealers of firearms.
    Link to form.
    http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1508.pdf

As for mailing handguns......
    quote:11.1.2 Handguns

Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.

11.1.3 and 11.1.5 = If you are not one of the following, you can not mail it.

quote: 11.1.3 Authorized Persons

Subject to 11.1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person's official duties:

a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.

b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.

c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.

e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.

f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.

g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 11.1.3c. through 11.1.3e.

11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

As a private citizen, you CAN mail rifles, shotguns, and antique firearms, without going through a dealer. "Can" you get away with mailing a handgun? Possibly, but if you get caught....
  • Options
    Tommy_2_pocketsTommy_2_pockets Member Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by misst
    what do you guys think of the USPS regs that say to ship a handgun to another ffl, you have to fill out form 1508 and give them copies of both ffl's involved in the transaction? Seems a way for the Gov to track guns, as bad as CA.

That's never happened to me. They want to see the shipping FFL (I've never been asked to leave a copy) and a signed statement that you're shipping to an FFL. Your local post master is probably just getting the paperwork to document the legality of the shipment and cover his own *, not record the contents.