In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 Stock Length for NJ

JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
I know that NJ requires that a NJ legal AR-15 has to have a fixed stock. I've looked at some at the shop and saw that they had stocks that looked like the 6-position collapsible stocks, but they are fake and are just fixed stocks to look like them. The length of the fake stocks are at the full extended length (ie A1 M16 stock).

Does anyone knowif there is yet another NJ law regarding the minimum length for the fixed stock on NJ legal AR-15's?

When I do get my AR-15, I'd like to put a sully stock on it. The sully stock is about the same length as the 2nd position on a collapsible stock (~8 inches).

Comments

• Options
    MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jerold
    I know that NJ requires that a NJ legal AR-15 has to have a fixed stock. I've looked at some at the shop and saw that they had stocks that looked like the 6-position collapsible stocks, but they are fake and are just fixed stocks to look like them. The length of the fake stocks are at the full extended length (ie A1 M16 stock).

Does anyone knowif there is yet another NJ law regarding the minimum length for the fixed stock on NJ legal AR-15's?

When I do get my AR-15, I'd like to put a sully stock on it. The sully stock is about the same length as the 2nd position on a collapsible stock (~8 inches).

Just can't be collapsible as far as I know. Never seen anything about length.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A perfect example of bullschit "malum prohibitum" government regulation.

One is "allowed to have" an AR-15, but it must not have a collapsible stock.

How utterly ridiculous.

Rhetorically........

When the hell are individual citizens going to stand up and say ENOUGH?

Nothing in the topic of this thread, is remotely any business of the government, Fed, State, or Local, period.

Another sign and symptom that America's Republic is all but gone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

How utterly ridiculous.

Rhetorically........

Nothing in the topic of this thread, is remotely any business of the government, Fed, State, or Local, period.

I wholly and completely agree with you. My question to you is: What would you do if you were a resident of NJ? Yes, I know, you would never be a resident of the state etc. etc. It is one thing to spout brave opinions on an anonymous website and another to actually do something. We are working to arm ourselves, reloading and being ready for the day the government comes knocking. I have read all of the brave and brazen words of yours and the other CA's. All good stuff but just words. Where and what are the actions?
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    The actions are as follows. You skirt any and every law possible. Collapsable stocks illegal to install? Own one anyway. Posession is not illegal. Hollowpoints? Posession. .50 cals? Posession. Own it all. There will come a day when it will matter not what the law says, because you will have long abandoned any attempt at obedience.

The anti thinking is that because its illegal, it won't be posessed.BS. Own it anyway.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Codenamepaul;
    Too arcane for the government loving Quislings among us.

They want you and I to run screaming into the streets, gun blazing...and if we DON'T take their suggestion..we are merely `Keyboard Kommandoes' or some such childish nonsense.

These people are so used to blindly obeying, the mere idea that someone may not w horeship their God terrifies them ...and they wish that person to be dead...as speedily as possible.
    Preferably by the guns of their One True God ..the Beast. Eliminates so many troubling thoughts, `ya know....

Along with the unbending desire to submit to ever bigger governmental controls exhibited by these people is the common thread exhibited by the trfoxs, the p3s, and their ilk;

The idea that unless you are in the street killing and being killed you are somehow not `serious' ..that your message is flawed...that you are a coward hiding under the bed...just as they are when it comes to bearding the Beast.
  • Options
    JeroldJerold Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Getting my FID took 7.5 weeks. That is pretty average compared to other towns in NJ - one town takes 6 months and includes are required interview with the police chief. Newark, NJ takes 1 year to approve.

The application requires 2 non-related, non-LEO references and a form to allow the gov't to review your medical records for mental issues. I think the process is that te local cops do what they have to do, then it gets bumped up to the state police level and then also the FBI background check.

I got 2 pistol permits with my FID. When I bought my Glock, I had to have my FID, my driver's license and my permit, then they still had to do a NICS check and I had to fill out basically the same form again at the shop asking if I've been convicted, etc...
    I haven't purchased my rifle yet, but I'll assume it's the same process.

My brother-in-law up in NY state can just go into a shop with his driver's lic. and they run a NICS check and he's off with his rifle.

Now, is it better to have a complete background check like NJ or just go thru the NICS system at time of purchase? Either way, criminals will get the guns when they want it. They are just making it harder for law abiding citizens. Criminals will just buy it black market or just lie on the applications if they are stupid enough to fill one out with the intent to do crime.

The only difference that I see is the mental health check that NJ does. After I got my FID and permits, in retrospect, I didn't mind the hassle (since it wasn't too long of a wait). There is such anti-gun attitude here (even at some shops where they are selling them) that when I go to look or buy, showing my FID when asked proves that I've been vetted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Codenamepaul;
    Too arcane for the government loving Quislings among us.

They want you and I to run screaming into the streets, gun blazing...and if we DON'T take their suggestion..we are merely `Keyboard Kommandoes' or some such childish nonsense.

These people are so used to blindly obeying, the mere idea that someone may not w horeship their God terrifies them ...and they wish that person to be dead...as speedily as possible.
    Preferably by the guns of their One True God ..the Beast. Eliminates so many troubling thoughts, `ya know....

Along with the unbending desire to submit to ever bigger governmental controls exhibited by these people is the common thread exhibited by the trfoxs, the p3s, and their ilk;

The idea that unless you are in the street killing and being killed you are somehow not `serious' ..that your message is flawed...that you are a coward hiding under the bed...just as they are when it comes to bearding the Beast.

So, because one asks questions and talks about the law as it is, this shows a lack of ideological purity? What is your definition of purity? Not buying guns from an FFL because you have to fill out a form? What? Calling everyone a Quisling (quaint term that half the younger generation won't even get) who doesn't write firebrand comments on this board is counterproductive and persuades no one.

I await your reply.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

How utterly ridiculous.

Rhetorically........

I wholly and completely agree with you. My question to you is: What would you do if you were a resident of NJ? Yes, I know, you would never be a resident of the state etc. etc. It is one thing to spout brave opinions on an anonymous website and another to actually do something. We are working to arm ourselves, reloading and being ready for the day the government comes knocking. I have read all of the brave and brazen words of yours and the other CA's. All good stuff but just words. Where and what are the actions?

Feel better now sir?

Make your position, whatever it is, more palatable to you, now that you have attempted to put the "Keyboard Kommando" moniker on me and other like minded individualists?

Rather, it seems that you have a reading comprehension problem, or a guilty conscience. Doesn't really matter to me which.

I simply made a clear point about the fallacy of this particular NJ "law" and then asked a rhetorical, general question.

That was followed up with a simple, clear bit of a lesson/illustration of how this type collectivist-governance was contrary to the ideals of the Republic.

Here is a clue for you sir......these examples are used by me every time one presents itself, used to make the aforementioned illustration and mayhap, prompt some critical thinking on the part of someone reading, as to what the "bottom-line" causation of America's decline is.

Illustration/education/putting these routinely accepted 'malum prohibitum'/collectivist controls and examples into peoples faces.......Those ARE my actions.

Education and understanding is key.

For the record, I made the above explanation, not for you, because after your snide response I could care less about replying to you, but, rather, for those who may read this, so that they get the original point.

You know, the point that flew right over your head.

Go figure.....
  • Options
    edited November -1

quote:A perfect example of bullschit "malum prohibitum" government regulation.

How utterly ridiculous.

Rhetorically........

My point is the same as yours. When and how are you and I and all the others on this board going to stand up? We see the encroaching darkness, and the quickening and sure loss of our freedoms. I honestly am asking you, the others and myself, what is there to do? We cannot fight for our freedom as individuals. The cause of our freedom is one where we must act with others of like mind and spirit to defend it and defeat its enemies. Writing to our legislators, letters to the editor, joining the NRA are all rear guard actions at best for those in retreat.

I apologize to you as my words were snide, they are borne of frustration. I regularly read the words on this board, they are often solid and well thought out and reflect opinions that I wish guided the leadership of this country. My frustration as they are just words here, preaching to the choir while the darkness closes in.
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1

I honestly am asking you, the others and myself, what is there to do?

wait.
  • Options
    edited November -1

quote:A perfect example of bullschit "malum prohibitum" government regulation.

How utterly ridiculous.

Rhetorically........

My point is the same as yours. When and how are you and I and all the others on this board going to stand up? We see the encroaching darkness, and the quickening and sure loss of our freedoms. I honestly am asking you, the others and myself, what is there to do? We cannot fight for our freedom as individuals. The cause of our freedom is one where we must act with others of like mind and spirit to defend it and defeat its enemies. Writing to our legislators, letters to the editor, joining the NRA are all rear guard actions at best for those in retreat.

I apologize to you as my words were snide, they are borne of frustration. I regularly read the words on this board, they are often solid and well thought out and reflect opinions that I wish guided the leadership of this country. My frustration as they are just words here, preaching to the choir while the darkness closes in.

Matchshot, there is no answer to "when". It won't be us, however that attack FIRST.
    Best thing you can do now, and until the time comes, is perpare. Food stores and portable food, proper clothing, proper hygene and first aid kits. Get REAL good at hitting what you aim at, and at MANY different meters. Build ammo stores, and be damn sure to have replacement parts for your rifles.

Only thing that is sure, is to be sure to be prepared, FULLY prepared.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not prepared yet....you are way behind the 8 BALL !

You better get to it but FAST !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got my "black rifle" back from the gunsmith, does that count as "getting ready"? [;)]

I don't have food stores cached, nor a place to go to ground should the shtf, but I do have friends with land and room for additional guests..... could always make their garden much larger and hunt for meat I suppose - the bow hunting is great up there.

But right now with "them" snooping for any signs of "political upheaval" (sp?) or whatever euphemistic term you want to put on insurrectional type activites, it's waaaaay too hard to put truly like minded individuals together on "the net" - you never truly know you're actually talking to a kindred spirit or (to use #1's term) quisling/schill for the government. I think they like it that way - makes concerted efforts to resist tryannical, despotic, attacks on essential liberty more difficult. Not impossible, mind you, but tough.

That and the fact that the canaries are spread out nationwide, I can't exactly come to your aid in a moments notice should the need arise [:(]............
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are going to need several thousand rounds for it and at least 1k 12 gauge and 10k 22 long rifle for starters.
    Now cleaning materials.
    Water, food, batteries.......the list is endless !

As for me...I don't have anything prepared. I am going to let the Government take care of me !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:I wholly and completely agree with you. My question to you is: What would you do if you were a resident of NJ? Yes, I know, you would never be a resident of the state etc. etc. It is one thing to spout brave opinions on an anonymous website and another to actually do something. We are working to arm ourselves, reloading and being ready for the day the government comes knocking. I have read all of the brave and brazen words of yours and the other CA's. All good stuff but just words. Where and what are the actions?

You come into this forum cold turkey and basically attack us ..then get upset when the snit it thrown back at you.

Bluntly...I have little patience with fence straddlers.

That being said ..it is utter NONSENSE to assume that `we are doing nothing'.

Every man that has the sense God give a mouse is busy every day ..preparing for the day when the Elites decide they have waited long enough.

As for the rest of it ..read and fully understand what the man is saying in the `poem' posted by Lt496.
    Leaderless resistance is the only method left open to us, in an environment totally under the control of the Beast.
    That resistance today takes the form of passive aggression towards the Beast ..attempting to educate as many people as possible before the marches to the slit trenches start.

They get closer by leaps and bounds, as the Elites become ever more convinced there are no men left in America.
    The recent theft of 700 Billion dollars from the American people ..with hardly a squawk from the masses ..is the type proof they seek.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    quote:I wholly and completely agree with you. My question to you is: What would you do if you were a resident of NJ? Yes, I know, you would never be a resident of the state etc. etc. It is one thing to spout brave opinions on an anonymous website and another to actually do something. We are working to arm ourselves, reloading and being ready for the day the government comes knocking. I have read all of the brave and brazen words of yours and the other CA's. All good stuff but just words. Where and what are the actions?

You come into this forum cold turkey and basically attack us ..then get upset when the snit it thrown back at you.

Bluntly...I have little patience with fence straddlers.

That being said ..it is utter NONSENSE to assume that `we are doing nothing'.

Every man that has the sense God give a mouse is busy every day ..preparing for the day when the Elites decide they have waited long enough.

As for the rest of it ..read and fully understand what the man is saying in the `poem' posted by Lt496.
    Leaderless resistance is the only method left open to us, in an environment totally under the control of the Beast.
    That resistance today takes the form of passive aggression towards the Beast ..attempting to educate as many people as possible before the marches to the slit trenches start.

They get closer by leaps and bounds, as the Elites become ever more convinced there are no men left in America.
    The recent theft of 700 Billion dollars from the American people ..with hardly a squawk from the masses ..is the type proof they seek.

If this is not tyranny....then we are not Americans, we are mice.
    I was never asked an opinion on how to spend OUR money.
    I feel we are on the edge of some historic events of epic proportions!
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    originally posted by nyforester:

I feel we are on the edge of some historic events of epic proportions!

+1