In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NRA endorses McCain

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Gee what a shock-only a few years ago the NRA considered McPain the devil.[:I]

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gNHyi-Dusche-
SUEbzEpf4fY9JtQD93N03KG3

National Rifle Association endorses McCain

By SHARON THEIMER - 1 day ago

WASHINGTON (AP) - The National Rifle Association is endorsing Republican presidential nominee John McCain despite differences with the Arizona senator on gun-show rules and campaign finance restrictions.

NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre and the chairman of the NRA's political action committee planned stops Thursday in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Colorado and Nevada to talk about the move.

LaPierre said the two agree on many issues important to the group.

"He's cast more than 60 votes in the Senate in support of the Second Amendment," LaPierre said.

The NRA's Political Victory Fund has spent more than $2.3 million opposing Democratic nominee Barack Obama. The chairman of the political action committee, Chris W. Cox, says its spending in the presidential race will grow to "eight figures" by Election Day. Besides ads, encouraging battleground-state gun owners to vote will be a key focus, he said.

The PAC was running an ad Thursday in USA Today accusing Obama of waffling on gun-rights issues and challenging his statements that he supports the right to bear arms. Obama has said he respects the Second Amendment but doesn't think it precludes "some commonsense gun laws so that we don't have kids being shot on the streets of cities like Chicago."

The NRA PAC's future spending will target Obama on gun issues and start publicizing the records of McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, LaPierre said. McCain's selection of Palin was a plus, LaPierre said.

"She's a hunter, she's a Second Amendment supporter and she's a tremendous asset to the ticket," he said.

Palin, an NRA member, received an A-plus rating from the group when she ran for governor in 2006. That compares to an NRA grade in the average range for McCain in his last Senate race. McCain isn't an NRA member.

Palin has been an NRA booster, particularly for its education and safety programs, during her career in government. As mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, she used $750 from her city campaign fund to upgrade her NRA membership.

The NRA doesn't always endorse presidential candidates. It has backed President Bush but declined to endorse Bob Dole in the 1996 race or President George H.W. Bush in 1992.

Obama has been endorsed by the American Hunters and Shooters Association, which calls itself a "mainstream group of hunters" that supports safe and responsible gun ownership.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm SO surprised............NOT. [:(!]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Holy Hog Schit! Who woulda thunk it?

Actually the NRA and McCain are nearly a perfect match.

Patently false, both portraying themselves as something that they clearly are not. Both stating they are "staunch" defenders of American Ideals and Freedom, all the while they skulk around and knowingly erode the very things that they purport to stand for.

A pathetic match made in Hades, albeit one that the "party-faithful" will seize upon, as yet another reason to vote for this particular enemy of the Republic.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a related and equally surprising story, the NEA endorses Obama.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    In some ways I feel that McCain is close to being "a devil.". However, YoBama is the devil times 100.

Quite simply the NRA made a rational decision. It chose from one of the only two candidates who are going to actually be one of the winners of the office of US President. The NRA choose the lessor of the two evils. To try and keep the most evil out of office, Obama, the NRA is supporting the lessor of two evils. In addition, if McCain does win, human nature being what it is, he should and probably will look more favorably upon the NRA, and gun rights in general, than if the NRA (and by association, gun owners in general) had opposed McCain. To at least a small degree this should be of some benefit to gun owners and gun rights.

Of course it doesn't matter what the NRA does in regards to Obama since if he gets into office he will never look upon the NRA or gun owners as friends or supporters.

To put it another way, if you absolutely HAD to get emergency medical treatment for a loved one, and there were absolutely no actual physicians anywhere to be found, would you seek help from just anyone; or would you be more likely to be more than happy to accept medical help from someone who was only half-way through medical school?

Sometimes we are forced to accept and choose from the best that is actually available.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TR Half-a$$ed is just that--half a$$ed. Your lessor of two evils mantra is ponderous to me. Now if you came out and said--I SUPPORT JOHN MCCAIN because he IS the right man for the job and I BELIVE in his views then that would be a different matter entirely. But YOU don't even belive he is the best man for the job--you just accept it because his name happens to be on the ticket and he is SUPPOSEDLY less evil that Obama. Your thought processes remind me of Germans before WW2--well.. he's all we have--he might be a dictator, but he's OUR dictator. Unfreakinbelivable[V]
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox

It chose from one of the only two candidates who are going to actually be one of the winners of the office of US President. The NRA choose the lessor of the two evils. To try and keep the most evil out of office, Obama, the NRA is supporting the lessor of two evils.

THe NRA did not have to endorse either of them. I believe it was the 96 election that the NRA did not endorse anyone.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tr,

Are you still here!?

In some ways I feel that McCain is close to being "a devil.". However, YoBama is the devil times 100.

Yet you still plan to vote for him. Have you no principles?

Quite simply the NRA made a rational decision.

I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said.

It chose from one of the only two candidates who are going to actually be one of the winners of the office of US President. The NRA choose the lessor of the two evils. To try and keep the most evil out of office, Obama, the NRA is supporting the lessor of two evils.

But they are still supporting 'evil'. Nothing new for them, though.

In addition, if McCain does win, human nature being what it is, he should and probably will look more favorably upon the NRA, and gun rights in general, than if the NRA (and by association, gun owners in general) had opposed McCain. To at least a small degree this should be of some benefit to gun owners and gun rights.

No, what McCain 'should' do is support the Constitution 100%. What McCain 'should' do is keep his booger hooks off the individual liberty of the citizens.

Of course it doesn't matter what the NRA does in regards to Obama since if he gets into office he will never look upon the NRA or gun owners as friends or supporters.

Makes no difference to me what he thinks of me, or if he considers me a friend/supporter. 'But, but, Obama will take our guns.' Bullschit. It has been stated before, but anti-Constitutional regulations on the RTKBA only affects those who choose to abide by them.

To put it another way, if you absolutely HAD to get emergency medical treatment for a loved one, and there were absolutely no actual physicians anywhere to be found, would you seek help from just anyone; or would you be more likely to be more than happy to accept medical help from someone who was only half-way through medical school?

So this is it? This is your reasoning on why one should support McCain. Hell, I'll keep it short and stick with your 'medical' analogy. I'd seek help from Dr. Ron Paul.[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Sometimes we are forced to accept and choose from the best that is actually available.

'We'? Speak for yourself. Do not lump 'me' in with 'you'. I choose not to keep company with those whose spines flex in the direction which they are manipulated. No one can force me to either 'accept' or 'choose' what is being served. This is still America, and I have a choice. Tr, a little friendly advice; Try taking the ring out of your nuts that allows you to be led at the will of others, and walk wherever the hell you wish. It's called liberty. Try it; it's addictive, and you just might find that you enjoy it.
  • Options
    45long45long Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well realistically, who did you think they were going to endorse ? Obama ?? This is no big surprise. Or news.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm suprised the NRA doesn't endorse Chicago's mayor Daley. [xx(]
    Wait a minute...let me check...I'll get back to you.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:Well realistically, who did you think they were going to endorse ? Obama ?? This is no big surprise. Or news

A well run Second Amendment organization that stood for the Constitution would be UNABLE to endorse a candidate that intends to dismantle even MORE of that document.

ANY citizen that gives a damn about his country would be UNABLE to support a candidate that intends to futher demean and prostitute his country.
    Only subjects do so.

No difference then the darkest days of Soviet Russia or any other despot running for office in any pispot country that we sneered at 20 years ago.
    'Citizens' lining up to put slimebags into office.
    Congratulations, all you slaves..you have successfully made the transition from freeman to subject.