In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Back From A Successful Hunt

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Hello my Brethren and other fellow freedom-lovers and individualists.[:o)][;)]

Just got back from a rejuvenating and successful cow elk hunt in Northern Arizona. My son and I both scored and we had some really good times together up in the high country.

Nothing like some good old-fashioned father/son bonding.[^]

I've got a bunch of unpacking and clean-up to do, then I will rejoin you once again. Hope all is well with each of you.

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WB, and congrats.
    I can expect that backstrap....ah....steak....ah....roast to arrive.....when? [}:)][;)][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pickenup
    WB, and congrats.
    I can expect that backstrap....ah....steak....ah....roast to arrive.....when? [}:)][;)][:D]

You come, I'll cook it up AND provide some adult beverages to wash it down.[;)]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    And a MOST hearty welcome back to the fold, Captain..you have been missed.
    Congratulations on the total success of your trip.

We have been afflicted with little since you left..the true believers of big government have merely flittered by our heads a time or two.
    Naturally, Trsux has been heard from...repeatedly...
    .with his timeworn whine about `criminals buying guns legally'..holding it forth like a talisman against imagined evil of citizens running their OWN lives...
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome. What firearms did you and your son use to bag your elk??
    Im going hunting this weekend, do some trimming around my deer stands, and hopefully bag a turkey or two.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Welcome back, glad you had a good time!
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back Captain. Glad to hear your hunt was a success.
  • Options
    rkba4everrkba4ever Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back! I've been bonding with my dad while we build my house!! He doesn't hunt anymore, so we can't do that so it's construction that gives us that time at the moment. Glad you guys had a great time!!
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back [:)]

Congrats on the sucessful hunt
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back and congratulations![;)][:D]
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back lt..glad you both had a great hunt and good shootin,..[;)]..Loko ..now we are going to need pics..[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    Im going hunting this weekend, do some trimming around my deer stands, and hopefully bag a turkey or two.

Mine is a T/C "Big Boar", .58 caliber percussion.

His is a Cabela's .45 caliber percussion, Traditional Hawkin.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the successful black powder hunt. I am leaving in the morning to begin archery/deer with my brothers. I will be looking for that 32 point buck, but I'll settle for a no point doe. Food is food[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Congrats on the successful black powder hunt. I am leaving in the morning to begin archery/deer with my brothers. I will be looking for that 32 point buck, but I'll settle for a no point doe. Food is food[;)]

Thats the turdy point buck![;)]

Glad to see you back captain.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats!!!

I bow hunted every chance I got for the early season...no luck. Glad to hear you guys did better than I did![8D]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    James, I aim to beat the old record by 2[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    James, I aim to beat the old record by 2[;)]

LMAO!

I wish you lotsa luck.
  • Options
    JuggernautJuggernaut Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496

lt496, how is the kick on the T/C "Big Boar", .58 caliber percussion, I was considering a .72 caliber double rifle accompanied by a .72 caliber Howdah pistol, but had considered the same in a .58 caliber?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Juggernaut

lt496, how is the kick on the T/C "Big Boar", .58 caliber percussion, I was considering a .72 caliber double rifle accompanied by a .72 caliber Howdah pistol, but had considered the same in a .58 caliber?

For elk with the T/C .58 caliber, I shoot 130 grains of either FF, or 130 grains of triple7, topped with a 555 grain maxi-ball.

The "Big Boar" has a recoil pad as standard, so the kick is not much different from a .270 or 30 Gov't 06.

I've killed 2 elk with it and all were solid torso, heart/lung shots. None travelled more than 50-75 yards before piling up and croaking in place.

.45, .50, or .54 cal is plenty for hoofed game. The .58 was a purchase from a friend because it was a smoking deal.

My mainstay black-powder rifle for all big game hunting, is my .54 cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle. With a patched round ball, it is "hunting" deadly accurate, out to 100 yards and it shoots damn good with a Maxi-ball as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Muzzleloader and Bow hunting really brings back the hunting part of hunting imo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Muzzleloader and Bow hunting really brings back the hunting part of hunting imo.

Yes sir, they do.

Don't get me wrong. I like a good rifle hunt as much as the next guy, but archery and black-powder hunts are regular events for me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes sir, they do.
    Don't get me wrong. I like a good rifle hunt as much as the next guy, but archery and black-powder hunts are regular events for me.

Exactly, I like modern as well just fine, but it just doesn't have the nostalgic feel of the Muzzleloader and Bow is all, almost makes you feel like you were back in time for a bit.
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome back. Nothing like fresh Elk meat !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you happen to get any pictures?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did you happen to get any pictures?

My son took a few dubious quality pics on his camera. If he emails them to me, I may try to figure out how to post them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You can just scan them (if you have a scanner) and then post them if you like.

SHEESH! while typing I hear the doorbell and knocking on the door and look out the window and see several what appear to be unmarked government or police cars right in front of the house; I then stop and I am thinking youve got to be kidding me. So after arming myself and concealing it I proceed quietly to the door, pulse just racing as fast as my thoughts trying to figure out what the problem is and why they would send so many and then after opening the door I discover that they are candidates running for office................
  • Options
    edited November -1

SHEESH! while typing I hear the doorbell and knocking on the door and look out the window and see several what appear to be unmarked government or police cars right in front of the house; I then stop and I am thinking youve got to be kidding me. So after arming myself and concealing it I proceed quietly to the door, pulse just racing as fast as my thoughts trying to figure out what the problem is and why they would send so many and then after opening the door I discover that they are candidates running for office................

What is a scanner? [:o)]

You must understand that I am about as low tech as a person who has a basic computer can be.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

What is a scanner? [:o)]

You must understand that I am about as low tech as a person who has a basic computer can be.

LT,.......you don't need a scanner if your son has a digital camera.
    When he e-mails them, save them to a location on the puter, and then upload them to Photobucket or such.

It's quite simple!
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No problem, basically a scanner is normally a USB based image scanner that converts the image scanned such as documents, pictures, your hand, etc to a digital image so that you can edit it or email it or print it out on paper etc.
    Depending on the type of computer that you have you should be able to find one fairly inexpensive at walmart or several other stores that carry electronics, I recommend getting a dual scanner/printer setup as they save space and setup and are still fairly inexpensive.

And yes like Marc1301 stated, so long as a digital camera was used it will work as well; I just find the scanner very useful, I also use a digital camera too. If the pics are attached to email anyway then you should be able to just post them.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Good show Jeff!!![8D]
    I, like you, am a meat hunter. I prefer a cow or doe tag. If I can get a good set of horns fine, but the deepfreeze is more important than the wall![;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    Good show Jeff!!![8D]
    I, like you, am a meat hunter. I prefer a cow or doe tag. If I can get a good set of horns fine, but the deepfreeze is more important than the wall![;)]

Something that we can agree upon, how about that, just given you the business is all.[:)]
    But yeah, would definitely have a good amount of meat than some horns, as you only need a couple sets of good rattlers.