In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

18 and under

coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
Is there any law that makes it possible for a minor (18 and under) to own a firearm. My cousin was wondering, and I told them I would ask you guys. He's 16, and love to shoot however, by law he cannot legally own a gun. Any advice i can give them besides to let me hold onto it for them (which they dont like cause thhey're likely to not get it back)

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I don't know why they can't be "gifted". I don't think their is law that says he can't take a long gun as a "gift". Although I do belive he would have to be 18 to be "gifted" a handgun.

Don't take my advice as law though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats what i was thinking. Thats how i got my guns, through gifts and one through a trade. We're toward the country anyway, so he should be fine.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way I understand it one under 18 cannot BUY a firearm. Doesn't say anything about owning(as freemind said)a gifted fire arm.
    I'm giving my son(15)a rifle for christmas.[:)]

Here in Illinois at 18 you can buy a rifle but have to be 21 to buy a handgun.[xx(]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

Here in Illinois at 18 you can buy a rifle but have to be 21 to buy a handgun.[xx(]

That isn't just Illinois. That is federal law I believe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by freemind
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag

That isn't just Illinois. That is federal law I believe.

I believe your correct but I wasn't sure...
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the BATF FAQ site.....

quote:(B14) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles generally may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e.g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting.
    This is federal law, state laws may be different.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So if they got a note from their parent, they could have a handgun? He'll be happy to hear that.
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Sad state of affairs. I'm not that old, 38, I bought my very first gun, S&W 12 gauge autoloader, at age 14, by myself at the local Coast to Coast hardware store. Those days are gone, for awhile anyway. A lot has changed in 24 short years, for the worse. Can't think of much that is better, societally speaking.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jpwolf
    Sad state of affairs. I'm not that old, 38, I bought my very first gun, S&W 12 gauge autoloader, at age 14, by myself at the local Coast to Coast hardware store. Those days are gone, for awhile anyway. A lot has changed in 24 short years, for the worse. Can't think of much that is better, societally speaking.

How did you earn the $$$ by 14 to buy the gun?
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    probly by being smart with money. when i was 17 i bought an old timers collection off of him for 2 grand. and no the money wasnt a gift from anyone. came from working at kmart for 6.25 an hour.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Josh a big difference between 17 and 14,one can't work at kmart ect at 13-14. Mowing grass,shoveling snow,raking leaves ect yes. I had my own apartment at 17yrs 6months old. I didn't live there yet but it was a good place to hang out till I was 18.[;)]
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    HM, I sold my horse that I raised from a colt. She brought enough for me to buy the shotgun, a lawn mower to go into business, and I had a lot of fun at the county fair that year.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i also worked for my grandfather a lot. as you said raking leaves shoveling snow splitting/stacking firewood landscaping did that sense i was about 7 years old. wasnt uncommon for me to 100+ dollars stashed in my room. then id blow it on something. point is at 14 years old if i had the bug half as bad as i do now i could have saved enough for a $400 firearm in probly 5 or 6 months. and doing the work with my grandfather wasnt easy work and he didnt pay me more then i earned. made around 4 bucks an hour untill i was 9 or so then bumped me up to 6 which if i remember correctly is where i stayed untill he got sick and i stopped working with him. if a 14 year old wants a firearm and is willing to work/save for it they could get it done fairly quick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well way back when I was a youngster $2 for mowing a yard was average pay per yard. [:0]
    Needless to say it took a while to save $100.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    didnt get paid by the yard. honestly only yards i actually mowed were mine and my grandfathers. my weekly allowence was 2 bucks for which i mowed the yard, vaccumed the carpets, took out the trash and id get a quarter for tickling/rubbing my mom or dads feet for a while. most money i ever made at a time was when id be with my grandfather delivering a load of firewood and the people he sold it to would give me a $20 tip.(they were from nyc in a exclusive neighborhood) though we did have to carry the 1/4 cord of wood up a small flight of stairs and stack it into a closet. this would be in the mid-late 80s. i spent a lot of time with my grandparents lived with them for 2 or 3 months when i was 14-15. my grandfather was bedridden with colon cancer and my grandmother fell and broke her wrist and pelvis. she did the cooking and drove me to/picked me up from school every day. i did everything else around the house as best i knew how. not trying to brag here or anything im just saying that a 14 year old has the means to make money.