In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

State sees no easy fix in gun dispute with feds

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
CHEYENNE -- State officials say a recent court ruling has rendered meaningless a Wyoming law intended to allow people convicted of domestic violence to regain their federal firearms rights.

Wyoming Attorney General Bruce Salzburg says the state won't ask the U.S. Supreme Court to review this summer's ruling by the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling against Wyoming's law.

The Wyoming Legislature in 2004 passed a law establishing a procedure for misdemeanor domestic violence convicts to expunge their first conviction and regain their federal arms rights.

Republican state Sen. Cale Case of Lander, who wrote the law, says he sees no easy fix as he looks for ways to amend it.

Comments

• Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a real conservative. Few of them left anymore.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    im sorry but i have a problem with this. in cases where the abuse is severly over inflated to make the case then yes all rights shuold be restored. but what about the actual severe crimes of domestic abuse? ones where some one is beaten to the point of death/near death and winds up in icu possiblyu to never recover. i relize probly 90%+ cases are the couple screaming at each other or mabye a slap or what not. and in these cases no rights should be lost. just need to make a distinction between the 2. or would the severe beatings go over into assult and battery??
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    im sorry but i have a problem with this. in cases where the abuse is severly over inflated to make the case then yes all rights shuold be restored. but what about the actual severe crimes of domestic abuse? ones where some one is beaten to the point of death/near death and winds up in icu possiblyu to never recover. i relize probly 90%+ cases are the couple screaming at each other or mabye a slap or what not. and in these cases no rights should be lost. just need to make a distinction between the 2. or would the severe beatings go over into assult and battery??

No, you can't have your pie and eat it too far to many people think as you do.. life is unfortunate and chit happens...we need to address the behavior of people..make them accountable for their actions, then and only then will they think before they act..to make a law that would punish 90% so as to keep the other 10% in check is ridiculous and redundant
  • Options
    jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    Besides, it said it was for misdemeanor offenses, so I don't think that would apply to assault. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never heard the term "misdemeaner assault".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the problem is no matter how severe the punishment is peple are still going to commit violent crimes. though they will be reduced by much tougher penalties they will never be eliminated. unles you make the penaltie for any violent crime death you will always have repeat offenders. yes punishing the majority for what the minority does is pure bs. while i would honestly love to believe that making people accountable for their actions would make them think befor they act and would make them more honest in general i dont believe this is possible. people in general arent capible of this kind of thought process. call me a pesimist if you like but will never trust people to always act honestly.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    call me a pesimist if you like but will never trust people to always act honestly.

And that is your right. I'd never force you to trust anyone, let alone a criminal.

The crux of the matter, however, is that we are dealing with "gun rights" not "gun privileges".

Possession of arms is the birthright of every free American.

I would never deny a convicted criminal his freedom of speech or worship, thus I cannot in good concience support the denial of the bearing of weapons.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    agreed. your religous beliefs or the words you speak can be equally as dangerous if not more so than firearms. so again the matter comes back to if your unwilling to return someones rights to them after theyve paid their dues then you dont let them out or put them to death.